Airstrike Switch

LithianLord

Hey mates, I can say I am getting much better with the GECK. Though I have hit a brick wall in that I know little in scripting to make something workable. I have poured over the official tutorials and youtube videos, but I still feel like I don't know enough. So this is a simple request for either links to better tutorials or advice on how to get something like this working.

Basically, I want to have a simple electrical switch that (when pressed) will trigger an airstrike down on a specified location. The bridge behind the congress building has exactly what I am talking about in the effect. I would like to duplicate that in a new location with a few tweaks.

Anything to forward my progress would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Hey mates, I can say I am getting much better with the GECK. Though I have hit a brick wall in that I know little in scripting to make something workable. I have poured over the official tutorials and youtube videos, but I still feel like I don't know enough. So this is a simple request for either links to better tutorials or advice on how to get something like this working.

Basically, I want to have a simple electrical switch that (when pressed) will trigger an airstrike down on a specified location. The bridge behind the congress building has exactly what I am talking about in the effect. I would like to duplicate that in a new location with a few tweaks.

this a set location or a changing one?

making explosions happen at a specific place is easy to do with script.. there is just the question of HOW you want this location to be selected.

making explosions happen at a specific place is easy to do with script.. there is just the question of HOW you want this location to be selected.

Just a set location. Drop bombs on an exact location each time the button is pressed. Nothing fancy, I just can't seem to find out how to do this. :sweat:

Just a set location. Drop bombs on an exact location each time the button is pressed. Nothing fancy, I just can't seem to find out how to do this. :sweat:

ok this is a really easy thing to do my friend..

gonna tell you the theory behind it rather than doing it for you though..

first you need a reference.. if there is one where you want the explosion to happen.. great.. otherwize find your location in geck and add a invisable marker where you want the explosion to happen.

x-markers are perfect for such a thing. (under activators)

give this x-marker a ref name so the explosions have a specific ref to look for.

k now that the designator is taken care of the rest is a piece of cake.

find a switch (one w/o animations i.e. levers is best)

make a script for the switch liiikkkkeee:

scn mycarpetbombexplosionscript

begin onactivate
designatorREFnamehere.placeatme typeOFexplosionYOUwantHere 1
end

finally select this script in the switch's edit window

place the switch in the world..

and your done.

start the game.. go hit the switch.. everything should work.

first you need a reference.. if there is one where you want the explosion to happen.. great.. otherwize find your location in geck and add a invisable marker where you want the explosion to happen.

give this x-marker a ref name so the explosions have a specific ref to look for.

begin onactivate
end

and your done.

I really appreciate the help! This gives me some great ideas on some things I can try to do. Another question though, is it possible in script to make an action (press button or such) require items or caps? Say you need X caps to operate the button, the script checks your inv and if you have enough it activates the button and subtracts the said ammount from your inv?

Looks like you've got all the help you need, and angelwraith has the right idea - you'll learn more by doing it for youself. :)

But if you need an example for help - I think the SewardSqTalonFight01Switch01 script might be helpful?

begin onactivate
end

and your done.

I really appreciate the help! This gives me some great ideas on some things I can try to do. Another question though, is it possible in script to make an action (press button or such) require items or caps? Say you need X caps to operate the button, the script checks your inv and if you have enough it activates the button and subtracts the said ammount from your inv?

yes, and youve nailed the theory exactly here is the code to back it up (this would cost 100 "yourcurrencytype" to fire the previous script and only if available):

begin onactivate

if (player.getitemcount yourcurrencytype >= 100)
	player.removeitem yourcurrencytype 100
endif
end

there is however an issue with this, an unsuccessful attempt to activate the switch due to lack of funds would seem the switch is just broken because it just wouldn't do anything.. in these scenarios it is necessary to inform the player of the reason their action isn't working.

this is not extremely difficult

go to messages in the object tree and create a new one

there are a few options here but i would suggest a popup message that lasts 2-3 seconds that has some text to the effect of "insufficient funds" name the message something related to its purpose so you can use it for other things like NoFundsMSG

and then make the message show when the player is short on supplies for the switch like this:

begin onactivate

if (player.getitemcount yourcurrencytype >= 100)
	player.removeitem yourcurrencytype 100
else
	ShowMessage NoFundsMSG
endif
end