Mesh editting trouble in Blender

lonewolfkai

I'm trying to add some swords onto a toolbelt as part of armor in Blender but everytime I try to export, I keep getting an error and it stops the exporting:

File "c:\Apss\Blender\.blender\scipts\bpymodules\nif_common.py", line 714, in guiButtonEvent

self.guiExit<>

File "c:\Apss\Blender\.blender\scipts\bpymodules\nif_common.py", line 924, in guiExit

self.callback(**self.config)

File "(string)", line 3345, in config_callback

File "(string)", line 371, in __int__

File "(string)", line 824, in exportNode

File "(string)", line 2223, in exportChildren

File "(string)", line 777, in exportNode

File "(string)", line 1939, in exportTriShapes

AttributeError: this mesh contains no deform vertices....'

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm going to make some assumptions here, so I may be wrong. By adding swords to a belt you mean importing a sword mesh and adding it to armor? You'll need to also import the skeleton.nif from the characters\_male directory and parent the sword mesh to it by first selecting the sword (in object mode) then the skeleton, then pressing ctrl P to parent the sword to the mesh. Then you'll have to weight paint the sword to get it to move correctly with the body. If you have no idea what I'm talking about or if I made a wrong assumption then let me know.

Also, a tutorial on skeleton rigging Here.

-Razorpony

I'm going to make some assumptions here, so I may be wrong. By adding swords to a belt you mean importing a sword mesh and adding it to armor? You'll need to also import the skeleton.nif from the characters\_male directory and parent the sword mesh to it by first selecting the sword (in object mode) then the skeleton, then pressing ctrl P to parent the sword to the mesh. Then you'll have to weight paint the sword to get it to move correctly with the body. If you have no idea what I'm talking about or if I made a wrong assumption then let me know.

Also, a tutorial on skeleton rigging Here.

-Razorpony

Already done that and have it parented to the spine bone. The belt itself, which is a separate mesh, already has a skeleton on it, so I parented it to that. Perhaps I should go ahead and just load the other skeleton as well? I may need to redo the weight painting though, but I don't think that's the sole problem.

Just to clarify, (I may not be reading your comment correctly) you need to delete any bones that import with the individual meshes, import the skeleton.nif, then parent to THAT one. I'm not sure about that specific blender error. Google turns up a few people asking the same thing but no answers. I do know that when I added some daggers to a pair of boots it was a real PITA, mostly due to getting the vertices weighted properly. Unweighted vertices give a diffeent error, though. Wish I could be of more help.

-Razorpony

Just to clarify, (I may not be reading your comment correctly) you need to delete any bones that import with the individual meshes, import the skeleton.nif, then parent to THAT one. I'm not sure about that specific blender error. Google turns up a few people asking the same thing but no answers. I do know that when I added some daggers to a pair of boots it was a real PITA, mostly due to getting the vertices weighted properly. Unweighted vertices give a diffeent error, though. Wish I could be of more help.

-Razorpony

Well that's still been a great help. I'll try deleting out the old skeleton and import the main one to see if that fixes it.

also for clarity, the belt mesh is an already existing one. It was Thieve's Toolbelt, in particular, the upper body belts. The weapons are also just vanilla ones.

How did you import the nif when you added the daggers into your boots btw? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

WOOHOO HOO!! Finally figured it out! You aren't going to believe this, but there was one tinnnnnny little vertex that was hidden from view and did not have the correct weight paint on it. Fixed it and it exported.... :blush:

As Homer Simpson says, and I quote, "DOH!"

That sounds about like what happened with the boots I made. Glad you got it working.

-Razorpony

Thanks for the help Razorpony. Even though you think you didn't do much, it got me to re-look at the weight paint.

+1 kudos to you good sir.

Well, now I'm confused again. I got the mesh exported, and it shows up in Nifscope, but in the game, it doesn't show a thing as if there was now mesh at all. Any clues on that?