Morrigan's Baby

Lehcar

It is in the conversations before the ritual. If you ask if the slaying of the archdemon will hurt the child she says, "No, but it can hardly be considered a child after that" (or something close to that anyway.) That bit always confused me as the child is still in the womb at that point, barely an embryo.

When I first saw the post with the words "ceasing to be a chld" I thought of that exact same reference. (My recollection was more along the lines of "barley a child...") I always interpreted that as "somewhere between two and eight cells" (at 12 - 24 hours after conception). But perhaps "something no longer a child" is closer to the intended meaning?

While I'm sure I have several saves of various characters just before the DR, and so I could replay the conversations from a variety of perspectives, not sure if there'd be anything more definitive in any of them.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

part of it could be linguistics too. I mean, it can't translate out the same way in every language. *shrugs*

But yeah, My interpretation was that it couldnt be even considered a fetus at the point of the battle with the AD.

part of it could be linguistics too. I mean, it can't translate out the same way in every language. *shrugs*

But yeah, My interpretation was that it couldnt be even considered a fetus at the point of the battle with the AD.

I've always taken it to mean that too. Not something to do with the ritual, just far to early in the pregnancy to be considered a child. I've always wondered if Bioware snuck a political statement in on that line, or if it's just the kind of thing Morrigan would say. Both, possibly.

Differing perceptions aside, can we just automatically assume that the child this offspring will even be human? What was the form of the old god? How does the darkspawn taint affect it? How does "grey warden taint" (a la Awakenings) affect it? How does the magic of the ritual affect it? Many questions are still in need of answers which we may not see for quite some time. But why let that stop us from speculating :yes:

It would be human-like but possesses magical powers of the old gods. I guess that would be the intention of BW (if and only if they would force the DR to be canon). If not then it would be human as the result.

Off topic, but what is this term "canon"? I have noticed both you and Dan use it, and I'm not familiar with it.

Here's a twist. What if the babe doesnt survive til childbirth? Wouldnt that be a huge twist if the taint killed it before it was born? Or some other factor caused Mora to lose the child?

As for what it would "be". I am still of the opinion that BW would "play it safe" and have it come out as human. Or something entirely not humanistic at all.

Canon = the official story (e.g StarWars and how the good guys win at the end)

I would always wonder what would happen to the child but we won't find out till later on this year or next year.

Like brokenergy states, a lot of the other genres that have a lot of fanfiction or side books written (SW,ST,SG1,DOOM, to name a few) hold a "canon" line that is official. Lucas is especially notorious for controlling what is canon in the SW universe. For KOTOR, Revan was male and light sided even though there were other options available to the player in the game. In the Sith Lords followup game the Exile was a light sided female. I would assume that DA with it's popularity thus far will hold a similar line to be held as canon or official. Making the DR canon would let them continue the story arch they want with Morrigan no matter what the player does in the game. And thus also control the fate of the baby. As much emphasis that BW has placed on Morrigan, I agree that the DR will end up being the canon story arch with the baby holding a major role to play in future games. The appearance of the Architect in DAA makes me lean in this direction. After all, he states that he awoke the old god, not naming him because I know I'll butcher the spelling, that will now reside within the child as a result of the DR. I expect to see both play major roles in future games. Also the cover art of both games, DAO and DAA feature Morrigan and the Architect respectively.

I don't think it will be the case so as much for DA than for something as bad as SW. DA has so many endings but I think that BW can compensate for the baby as much as the destruction of the Normandy did for ME2. I think that they would try to generalise as much as possible to compensate other endings while still having the "official" line (even if there is no official line). Even they stated that there is no canon, so I don't see that the DR would be forced upon us.