dds files

meganerd34

Simply enough I've been having trouble wih dds files because I don't know what to do with them and how to make them activate and do their thing. So if anyone could please explain them to me and how to make them work in game, that'd be great. Oh, and keep the explanation simple please, I don't understand techno-jargon.

Those are pictures. You can't activate them. They are the images that are painted onto objects to make them look real instead of single-color shapes. If you want to make things look different then you can draw your own pictures and paint them onto objects.

Without using techo-jargon, which is the type of specialized language that is used for the programs that allow one to modify the game, I am unsure how to explain it in much more detail. If you are interested in making a game mod then you need to learn the techno-jargon. If you are only concerned that the textures (.dds files) that you have downloaded with mods are not showing up in the game, then be careful to follow the installation instructions for those mods.

Those are pictures. You can't activate them. They are the images that are painted onto objects to make them look real instead of single-color shapes. If you want to make things look different then you can draw your own pictures and paint them onto objects.

Without using techo-jargon, which is the type of specialized language that is used for the programs that allow one to modify the game, I am unsure how to explain it in much more detail. If you are interested in making a game mod then you need to learn the techno-jargon. If you are only concerned that the textures (.dds files) that you have downloaded with mods are not showing up in the game, then be careful to follow the installation instructions for those mods.

I'm not interested in making anything, just downloading them. And the mods which I downloaded don't have any installation instructions. So I ask again how do I install .dds files?

Personally, I would pass over any mod that doesn't include installation instructions in a readme file. That is pretty basic, so if the author is not willing to put in the effort to make sure that his mod is installed as intended then I tend to think that his mod is probably sub-par overall.

Regardless of that, when you unzip a mod that has custom .dds files in it, they should be packaged something like: textures\armor\ironman.dds. That should be copied subdirectories and all into the Data subdirectory of your Fallout 3 folder. If you haven't installed any mods before then you may have to create a Data subdirectory first.

If all the mod gives you are a bunch of .dds files that are not in subdirectories without any installation instructions then you are in for trouble. I say delete and find something more user friendly.

On a similar note, every mod I've used that has a custom texture, er, the texture doesn't work. And I've seen this on several mods so I'm not sure what's happening. The texture just shifts between random textures in the game every couple steps. Got anything on how to fix that?

Also how would a re-texture mod work? It's what I'm asking about in case you hadn't figured. Would I just start the game and the re-textured item would have said new texture? Or do I have to do something with GECK?

On a similar note, every mod I've used that has a custom texture, er, the texture doesn't work. And I've seen this on several mods so I'm not sure what's happening. The texture just shifts between random textures in the game every couple steps. Got anything on how to fix that?

Also how would a re-texture mod work? It's what I'm asking about in case you hadn't figured. Would I just start the game and the re-textured item would have said new texture? Or do I have to do something with GECK?

Besides placing the textures in subdirectories of the Data folder, you will need to download and install Archive Invalidation Invalidated! which is included with Fallout Mod Manager now I believe. Fallout 3 will normally only look for textures within the compressed .bsa files that come with the original game and the DLCs. Archive Invalidation Invalidated! is a mod that permits custom textures, meshes and sounds to be recognized also.