Is DA the best RPG ever?

SpellAndShield

I cannot say this is the best RPG ever, since not only do I play a lot (LOT) of computer RPG's, but I also use the old pen and paper RPG's as well. That being said, this game is very well done in the storyline and codex, the mod potential (For those with more patience than I to learn a whole system to mod a game) is well done. Those points aside, I really disliked a lot of the technical aspects that DW listed before, but it seems that companies are lately going backwards on the player mods, read less ability to mod their games, or harder modtools given. Not only that, but when I looked into modding with this game, I found that to add anything fun and unique required me to go out and download entire other programs just to get the mod tool they gave us to work.

I have to put it up yet again, Thank all you modders great and large, for putting up new things for those of us who cannot or will not learn to use the mod tools. Your contributions to the game make it more enjoyable everytime we play.

That of course is all a matter of perspective and what are you basing your decision on. Now I have not even scratched beating the game and I have played some amazing console RPG's but I must say this one is in at least my top 5. I am waiting to see where the story takes me but as of right now the characters personalities and the immersion of the game is simply amazing. Not to mention the dialogue choices actually do effect your gameplay in a great deal of ways which makes replay go wayyy up there.

It comes very close but I don't think it quite matches Baldurs Gate 2 or Planescape Torment. If various aspects of the game hadn't suffered cuts then I would probably say it was their equal. Definitely the best rpg of the past decade though.

It comes very close but I don't think it quite matches Baldurs Gate 2 or Planescape Torment. If various aspects of the game hadn't suffered cuts then I would probably say it was their equal. Definitely the best rpg of the past decade though.

I agree...BG 2 and Planescape Torment were more epic....maybe DA2 will be as well...

DA is a VERY good RPG, but I don't know if it is the best or not.

I really like that it's darkness (with the blood and such). I also praise it for it's music. However, there are SO many good RPG's that it's impossible for me to choose. I remember Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn very well. It was really good, too. I just can't choose between those two, including some other RPG's!! >_<

I like DA:O a lot, and I can see its potential. It's very, very good.

Can't say it's the Best, though. YMMV.

Daggerfall was the closest anyone ever came to creating a full tabletop RPG world and putting it on your computer, with Darklands a close second. Very dated now, but both were amazing games. Morrowind was right up there as well, with incredible depth to the world. Oblivion was very good, but never quite matched the earlier games in the series.

The Baldur's Gate series was the closest I've ever seen to an epic tabletop RPG campaign brought to your computer. If you played through from BG to BGII:SoA to ToB, you had a chance to see your character and his companions grow from childhood to adulthood, from apprentices to masters. The modding community made it even better. By far the best CRPG experience I've had.

Dragon Age has a lot of potential, but I don't think we'll really see what it can become until another three or four years have passed. Once we see how it looks with the final patches (both from Bioware and fan made), and once we see DA2, I think it will rank high.