Configure problems with BASH >.<

Sonoske

My next problem is this tut im using sucks i copyed the bash_default.ini and renamed it to bash.ini but i take it i dont rename it to exactly bash.ini beacause if i do it will say bash.ini.ini This is what that stupid tut says.

Configure Bash:

Find the "bash_default.ini" in Oblivion\Mopy and copy it

Rename the copy to "bash.ini."

Open the bash.ini

Set "sOblivionMods" to the path to your "Oblivion Mods" folder. Example:

sOblivionMods=D:\Oblivion Mods\

Scroll down and make sure that the paths to other programs are correct. The root folder is the "Oblivion" folder, so paths that do not start with a drive letter (i.e., "C:\" or "D:\") start in the "Oblivion" folder. Example:

someentry=aprogram.exe is the equivalent of someentry=C:\Program Files\BethSoft\Oblivion\aprogram.exe

>> notes: 1) If you followed the instructions above for installing the utilities mentioned above, they are already in the root folder ("Oblivion") so you should not have to change the file paths for those. 2) Do not worry if you see a program in the bash.ini that you do not have installed. Bash ignores apps that it does not find (if they are not installed or if the file path is wrong.)

So i guess im supose to delete all the text in the copy of bash_default.ini (bash.ini) and then put in sOblivionMods=D:\Oblivion Mods\? Or am i wrong? Well for now how would i write up the destination in that stupid folder this is were it is located. Computer/Program Files (x86)/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion Mods. Sorry if i seem like an uber noob but i guess i am. So if thats what im supose to do write me up exactly what im supose to put in bash.ini.

Thanks and i hope my information is erm readable.

Since you did not move the "Oblivion Mods" folder, you do not have to change that path, the setting for sOblivionMods. You do not need to delete any text in the bash.ini. Why did you think that? (I just want to make sure all of the instructions are clear.) You are not supposed to really "put" anything in that file, but you may have to change some entries.

Oh, wow. I made a major mistake copying those instructions. I will edit them, and post the edited instructions here. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, because of formatting issues, it would be easier if you read the updated instructions there. If they are still confusing, please let me know.

Wrye Bash - http://sites.google.com/site/oblivionpoinfo/prep/wrye-bash

Keep in mind that installing to the default folder, Program Files (x86), can be very troublesome for Vista and Win7 users. You will have to turn off the UAC on the installation folder and maybe even a number of the utilities you use.

Edit: Many users suggest installing to C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\ instead.

I got many things turned off on my computer UAC is one of them. Like i said i modded on console games for the 360 so alot had to be turned off for most programs to work along with opening the HD and draging and dropping mods into it. Also my computer is running in test mode so theres a number of things turned off.

Resently i disabled usb checks for my ps3 controler so i could use it as a gamepad in oblivion. It can also be used as a mouse and keyboard lol. Anyway i have installed the programs that were listed in that folder along with freaking like 10+ mods that i need to run one mod >.< but i hope that when im done and load up the mods my oblivion game wont take a fat poo on everthing i have messed with today.

I decided to make a verry large backup of every file in my oblivion folder so if this stuff wont work properly perhaps i will need a new and better tut. This one seems outdated with all the misc programs i am supose to install that are like 5+ years old lol. So if ther are beter tuts out there for complete and utter noobs i would gladly like it. Lastly i would like to show you what i have resently done. I have followed this tut to the best i could, ill list the whole thing below and tell me if you think it sounds fine and if i set things up properly.

I realy hate windows 7 and vista @_@

Note i dont use tes 4 gecko so :P and i havent got to the script extender part yet

Recommended Utilities:

7-zip - many mods are packaged in .7z archives, and this tool is fast and free

Better Oblivion Sorting Software (BOSS)

BOSS Masterlist Manager (BOMM)

Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package

Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) (executable version)

TES4Edit

The Elderscrolls Construction Set (TESCS)

TES4LODGen

Wrye Bash (archive version) and the Wrye Python 02 package, Python 2.6.4, wxpython 2.8.10.1 ansi , ComTypes, psyco 1.6 for Python 2.6, PyWin32 for Python 2.6

>> notes: 1) Make sure the version of ComTypes you download supports Python 2.6. 2) Some users have reported that using Python 2.6.5 works as well.

(Comfortable users) Additional downloads: PyFFI, TES4Files, TES4Gecko

(Optional) Tools for troubleshooting: Interactive Map of Cyrodiil, Oblivion Cell Grid Map, SI Cell Grid Map

Install 7-zip. (If the installation prompts you to restart your computer, do so now.)

Install C++ Runtime Library, OBMM, TESCS, Wrye Python 02 package, PyFFI: Extract those that are contained in archives. Then run each executable.

>> notes: 1) When installing OBMM, leave the check for adding a shortcut to the desktop or quick launch bar. 2) Install Python before any of its dependents (wxpthon, ComTypes, PyFFI, etc.)

To install TES4Edit, TES4Files, TES4Gecko, TES4LODGen, Wrye Bash:

Create a new folder "Utilities" in the Oblivion folder

Extract them there using 7-zip's "extract here" function

Inside the Utilities folder, rename the TES4Gecko folder "TES4Gecko"

Extract Wrye Bash in the Oblivion folder.

>> notes: when updating, when prompted to overwrite, choose "yes"

Create Wrye Bash shortcut:

Right-click on Oblivion\Mopy\Wyre Bash Launcher.pyw

Choose "copy"

Right-click on the desktop or quick launch bar

Choose "paste shortcut."

notes: Windows 7 users may be able to right-click on the file and choose "pin to taskbar"

Create folder "Oblivion Mods" in a safe location outside of the Oblivion folder.

Install BOSS:

Move the main BOSS archive to the Oblivion\Data folder

Choose "7-zip">"extract here"

Install BOMM:

Create a folder in your documents folder for Microsoft Word macros, and drop the BOMM archive in it.

Extract the BOMM archive there

Open the BOMM file

At the top, the very first line, correct the path to your masterlist.txt file (located in your Data folder.)

Create a shortcut to the BOMM file:

Right-clicking on and choose copy

Right-click on the desktop or quick launch bar and choose "paste shortcut"

Before completing the configuration, copy the path to your BOMM file (not including the file name itself, just to the folder)

Scroll down to the "Installation" section in order to configure Microsoft Word for your BOMM configuration.

Close BOMM

Configure OBMM:

Launch OBMM

Go to "settings" (in the right sidebar)

Create an "OMODs" folder in your "Oblivion Mods" folder (previous step #7)

Choose "Move omod directory"

>> notes: Moving the directory reduces the size of the Oblivion folder and makes the OMODs real (safe) backups.

(Still in settings) check "Never modify load order" (unless you have no intention of installing Wrye Bash)

>> notes: this anticipates using BOSS and Wrye Bash to modify your load order

Go to Utilities>Archive invalidation

Select "BSA Redirection"

>> notes: see the BSAs and Archive Invalidation page if you want to understand what this feature does

Close OBMM.

Configure Bash:

Find the "bash_default.ini" in Oblivion\Mopy and copy it

Rename the copy to "bash.ini."

Open the bash.ini

Set "sOblivionMods" to the path to your "Oblivion Mods" folder. Example:

sOblivionMods=D:\Oblivion Mods\

Scroll down and make sure that the paths to other programs are correct. The root folder is the "Oblivion" folder, so paths that do not start with a drive letter (i.e., "C:\" or "D:\") start in the "Oblivion" folder. Example:

someentry=aprogram.exe is the equivalent of someentry=C:\Program Files\BethSoft\Oblivion\aprogram.exe

>> notes: 1) If you followed the instructions above for installing the utilities mentioned above, they are already in the root folder ("Oblivion") so you should not have to change the file paths for those. 2) Do not worry if you see a program in the bash.ini that you do not have installed. Bash ignores apps that it does not find (if they are not installed or if the file path is wrong.)

For TES4Gecko also add TES4Gecko\ --> result (\TES4Gecko\TES4Gecko.jar)

Once you are satisfied, save and close the INI file.

Copy the bashed patch Oblivion\Mopy\Extras\bashed patch, 0.esp

Paste it in Oblivion\Data

Launch Wrye Bash

Initialize BAIN, Bash's Installer, if you want to use it...

Click on the "Installers" tab, initializing BAIN (...nothing much will seem to happen..)

>> notes: 1) Once initialized, BAIN creates a "Bash Installers" folder in the sOblivionMods directory specified in the bash.ini file. That is where BAIN packages and projects are located. 2) Right-click on the "packages" tab and choose "Open..." to open your Bash Installers folder.

Right-click on the "Packages" tab: Leave all defaults, but make sure "Auto-Anneal," "Auto-Refresh Projects," "BSA Redirection" and (optional but recommended) "Projects First" are checked.

OBSE and its plugins are not "regular" mods and require a different kind of installation, which is why their installation is covered here. Most of the following are stabilizers, all highly recommended. The two most vital OBSE plugins are Fast Exit V2 and OSR!

>> notes: 1) The DLLs for all OBSE plugins should be installed in the OBSE\plugins\ folder. 2) Some OBSE plugins have dependencies (DLLs) in subfolders of that folder as well.

Install OBSE

Download Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) to the Oblivion folder

Extract it there. (It will add a folder containing the OBSE files.)

Copy the following up into the Oblivion folder: "obse_1_2_416.dll", "obse_editor_1_2.dll", and "obse_loader.exe." If you use the Steam version, move "obse_steam_loader.dll" as well.

Delete the folder and the archive it added

>> notes: 1) from now on!! use the obse_launcher.exe to launch your game, launching the game with OBSE-dependent plugins (not OBSE plugins) installed guarantees a crash, so it is best to get used to always using this launcher 2) If upon launching, it errors about needing the latest version of Oblivion installed (1.2.0416), you need to install the latest patch (via installing the second disc, if you are a GOTY user.)

Install OBSE Plugins

Download the following OBSE plugins:

Elys' Universal Silent Voice (USV) - extends time text is displayed on screen for unvoiced dialog, so that it does not just flash

Fast Exit v2 - prevents CTD on exit

Oblivion Stutter Remover (OSR) - manages memory at a low level, reducing stuttering in-game

Pluggy - extends OBSE, especially for debugging, for mods and the user

Install the archives: Extract Fast Exit and OSR in the Oblivion folder. Extract Elys' USV in the Data folder. Extract Pluggy into the OBSE plugins folder (Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins, which you may have to create). All of the DLLs should end up directly in the Plugins folder (except for OSR's component DLLs which should be in their own subfolder.)

>> notes: All OBSE plugins are installed in the above folder. That is where you will find the INIs that needed to be tweaked for your OBSE plugins (not OBSE-dependent mods.) The "src" folder directly underneath the Oblivion folder is not for mod users. Let it be.

Find the "Oblivion Stutter Remover" thread on the BethSoft forums before tweaking the INI file. The safest edit you can make is to raise the FPS cap.

>> notes: If you have a very good computer, you may want to raise the cap to 60 FPS. If you use Streamline, turn off Streamsmooth or set SL's FPS range inside of OSRs. OSR is more robust, and they can cause bad conflicts when vying to handling memory management.

Another OBSE pluin: If you are going to use Elys' Uncapper, (uncaps the level for the PC skills and attributes, raising the limit from 100 to 200 or 255) extract it to (or in) the OBSE plugins folder.

I also forgot to say i dont use bain and have no idea what it is. That fkn tut contradicts itself >.< Use bain its great, Dont use bain if your new, and at the end of the setup thing, Install bain bla bla bla. GOD this is so retarded lol.

Oh, well, if you do not use BAIN you do not need to mess with sOblivionMods settings anyway. I really should have reviewed those instructions more. They were copied from the "Preparing for Mods" page, on which I walked the user through installing a number of utilities. I need to make sure users know that that step is relevant to BAIN. So what are you trying to accomplish? If you only want to install Bash and get it working, you need to 1) download and install Wrye Python 02 2) extract the Wrye Bash archive in the Oblivion folder 3) make a shortcut to the Launcher .pyw file in the Oblivion\Mopy folder 4) Copy the bashed patch out of the Oblivion\Mopy folder into the Data folder 5) Launch Bash through your shortcut. There is a high likelihood Bash will error about something if you have Oblivion installed in the folder I mentioned earlier.

I got python and all that jazz and installed it were it needed to be. Odds are is i just have this feeling im going to have problems with mods down the road lol. But anyway i finnished that tut and installed everything i needed to that was on that page. Thanks for your help with bash

Basicly all i want to achieve is be able to play multiple mods WO some stupid problems occuring. Right now im about to start installing mods that i have had saved in a folder and i hope they all come together nicely. Now last thing i need from what i can tell is to start installing mods. Now the way i find easyest is to select extract files and put them were there supose to go. Then i guess that after i do that i go into OBMM and make a load order so they work correctly?

i guess ill just see if everything works in oblivion. If not ill try some tweaks with load orders and if that wont work then ill come back here and QQ some more :(

All of those utilities are current. Otherwise, they would not be on that page. I think you should install your mods with OBMM because that will give you more control over the installation and uninstallation. If your method does not work out, I can help you move to using that method. Anyway, those instructions need to be rewritten. That site is still in the baby stages, and I will be moving it this summer. When I do, you will probably not find that page again. I did not realize you were using the Preparing for Mods page. It is an all-encompassing guide. You should not need to install any other utilities for managing your mods if you actually installed all of the utilities referenced on that page (unless you decide to start making mods that require texturing work.)

Happy gaming!

- Tomlong54210

All of those utilities are current. Otherwise, they would not be on that page. I think you should install your mods with OBMM because that will give you more control over the installation and uninstallation. If your method does not work out, I can help you move to using that method. Anyway, those instructions need to be rewritten. That site is still in the baby stages, and I will be moving it this summer. When I do, you will probably not find that page again. I did not realize you were using the Preparing for Mods page. It is an all-encompassing guide. You should not need to install any other utilities for managing your mods if you actually installed all of the utilities referenced on that page (unless you decide to start making mods that require texturing work.)

Happy gaming!

- Tomlong54210

Cool thanks for your help :) im off to go see why BOSS and OBMM wont pick up the mods i just added and why the race mods are not showing up. If anything i will reset my data folder and start over. again :(

Q_Q (I honestly think im retarded now)

You do not need to restart. Could you tell me what your current setup is exactly? Actually, reset your Data folder, and I will walk you through the process. My site really needs to be reorganized, and I get more frustrated with it with every trouble a user has getting through it. Once you reset your Data folder, remember to reinstall BOSS and any OBSE plugins (since they are installed in your Data folder.) Those are not a problem. Do you have your game patched to the latest version?

The goal: Get all mods installed with OBMM. <-- That's what I think it should be for now, anyway.

Edit: Nope. Mods can only be installed to the data folder. (I will not even both confusing you with the very unusually exception, that you do not need to concern yourself with at all...)