What are people's opinions on Morrigan?

SpellAndShield

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful, but confused. As she says, she had little knowledge of human greetings, reactions, etc, because she was rarely around them. All of her main personal interaction was based on the teachings of Flemeth, who is possessed by a demon. As you talk to her (even on a friendly status) she points out that she knows she does not have the graces of others, and even though she feels unworthy of your friendship, she values it. (get this from her after killing Flemeth) It's this confusion/conflict that makes her, to me, an interesting character, like Han Solo in the old original Star Wars when I was a kid. If you talk to her as the game progresses she changes with you in how she views the world, and I wish change was also reflected in her reactions to your later decisions. And yet, she also knows that she will always be on the fringe of society. Being a mage outside the Circle and hunted because of it, she will never be a full member of society.

Beautiful, but confused. As she says, she had little knowledge of human greetings, reactions, etc, because she was rarely around them. All of her main personal interaction was based on the teachings of Flemeth, who is possessed by a demon. As you talk to her (even on a friendly status) she points out that she knows she does not have the graces of others, and even though she feels unworthy of your friendship, she values it. (get this from her after killing Flemeth) It's this confusion/conflict that makes her, to me, an interesting character, like Han Solo in the old original Star Wars when I was a kid. If you talk to her as the game progresses she changes with you in how she views the world, and I wish change was also reflected in her reactions to your later decisions. And yet, she also knows that she will always be on the fringe of society. Being a mage outside the Circle and hunted because of it, she will never be a full member of society.

Danscott84= Editor and Chief for Dragon Age Cliff Notes :thumbsup:

It's true. Ultimately she chooses the path of power though...and that speaks volumes.

Danscott84= Editor and Chief for Dragon Age Cliff Notes :thumbsup:

What can I say, my degree is in history. I read a lot, so my focus on playing any game or watching a movie is on the plot, characters, and overall storyline. ;) My fiance had to tell me how to find a few things because I didn't pay attention to them being engrossed in the story.

It's true. Ultimately she chooses the path of power though...and that speaks volumes.

And therein lies the real question, does she take the path of power because she must to survive, or wants it. Ultimately it depends on how much influence you have with her and how you play the game that answers that question.

She is a necessary evil that I get to grudge hump at the end of the game :whistling:

I cracked up when I saw that, lmao love it!

I agree with you a lot about Morrigan. Even on my first playthrough not knowing all the details about things I adored Morrigan even when I could never get approval from her! I would call her a B as I was laughing at my constant failures with her all the while loving the character that she is. I love complicated characters with such a passion and find her to be the most complicated of everyone in DA:O. There is so much depth to Morrigan if you look past her hard exterior.

As for the path she chooses in the end ... I think that for so long that was her goal and everyone reaches a point where they can't turn back, and maybe that was her issue? Hmm, I dunno but I just never buy the line that she is evil and wishes to cause deliberate harm to those around her. She is in no way a mushy lovey person who wants to make the world a better place, don't get me wrong, and I believe her to be a rather self serving and on a search for power kind of girl.

I actually do not think she is as bad as Loghain turned out to be in Origins, I really don't see her trying to ruin thousands of lives to reach her end goal. But then I believe we all know there is much about Morrigan that has yet to be told, so I could be wrong! Can't wait to find out!!!! :woot:

My first urge is to describe Morrigan like one of those Onion Flowers that some chefs are able to make. A work of art that is composed of many layers, and attractive to admire. But with a slightly bad smell, and can bring you to tears if you get too close.

Many of the actors fell in love with the ideal of her character. The depth and complexity of her personality. And despite the hardness of her exterior, the vulnerability of what she hides within. As well as the strength of her resolve to do what she sees, needs to be done.

She's willing to sacrife a life with the one she loves, in order to Save that life of the one she loves. (Be it as lover, or her only friend)

She knows that once it gets out how the warden survives (and it will, everybody seems to be omnipotent in this game) she has to go on the run. Regardless of what the child turns out to be, she'll never have a moments peace, and if the warden is still involved, neither will they.

In some ways, I find that to be much more noble than some of the choices that we make. Think about it. There's several choices that we can make that totally and completely ruin what Alistair wants in his life. But yet we force it on him. She doesn't.

Then of course, there's her upbringing. She's been raised in almost total seclusion. With only Flemeth as a guide to life. A woman who is raising her for only two purposes. Both of which, are to be a tool. One, for her own immortality. Two, as the instrument to have that child.

The lessons that Flemeth taught her were only for survival, in order for her to be there for those purposes. And to harden her for what Flemeth has in mind for her.

And then of course...there's Flem herself. A woman who has lived far too long, and is jaded and calloused by what happened to her, in her own life. As well as the agendas and outlooks of the demon within her.

So yeah, thats had a huge impact on her personality, and her views, and behaviors. This is no different from what would happen, to say... an orphan living on the street to fend for themselves. They would learn that they have to lie, cheat, and steal from others to survive. They would learn they had to manipulate and use others, to survive.

She (Morrigan) however, is stronger than they in the aspect that when shown other ways, she can, and does... learn from them.

@Wolf - you summed her up in absolute perfection. That entire post should be added to an official Morrigan page :happy: Beautifully written and perfectly describes her depth and phycological thought patterns that make her so fascinating. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I never analyse my characters I don't give a fig for their emotional hang ups, tragic upbringings or what ever I take them all at face value and either like them or I don't.

Out of the 3 female companions Morrigan is the only one I liked and I found her very easy to respond to without picking and choosing replies to get approval, but this doesn't mean I approved of the dark ritual because I didn't.