What are people's opinions on Morrigan?

SpellAndShield

Blah blah blah.

Whats with the arguing? The OP just asked for an opinion, and it gets turned into a debate that I get 4-8 notifications about a day?

K. So. Gaider has let it out of the bag that the kid is going to be a normal child. Geeze, with that in mind I find it absolutely amazing that so many of these comments completely ignore the fact that a decent sized chunk of the reason for the ritual is BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AND SOUL.

So howz about every body takes a step back, grabs a deep, cleansing breath, and just chills out. Cuz I'm having a Flemeth moment here where I see one of the mods coming in to close this down in the near future if we don't. And this thread does have the potential to be a nice, conversational discussion.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah blah blah.

Whats with the arguing? The OP just asked for an opinion, and it gets turned into a debate that I get 4-8 notifications about a day?

K. So. Gaider has let it out of the bag that the kid is going to be a normal child. Geeze, with that in mind I find it absolutely amazing that so many of these comments completely ignore the fact that a decent sized chunk of the reason for the ritual is BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AND SOUL.

So howz about every body takes a step back, grabs a deep, cleansing breath, and just chills out. Cuz I'm having a Flemeth moment here where I see one of the mods coming in to close this down in the near future if we don't. And this thread does have the potential to be a nice, conversational discussion.

Amen, brother. I think many have moved on from this topic. What's the saying? Beating a dead horse?

Utotri, you twist people's words and use them against them before even considering the other possibilities.

brokenergy, you hurl unnecessary ad hominems to other people without even explaining yourself.

Now while I don't care if Morrigan is not your favourite character, I do however care that you seem to judge her in a simplistic manner and I would like to show you why (like I have done with others in the past) by giving you clear explanations. Many people have given examples of why Morrigan isn't evil but you still press with your cast-iron judgment when it wasn't really the writers intentions. The main themes of DA are sacrifice and tough choices, something that the writers took great consideration when they made the characters of the story. Like I said before Morrigan is the most honest member of the party, there is no reason for her to lie, even before the DR.

I do not agree with the way you view my opinion, but whatever. You think I am giving cast-iron judgments and I see her in a simplistic manner. Explain this. It sounds like a stupid ad hominem to me. I gave my opinion about Morrigan and people are getting angry at me or something for defending this opinion. I don't understand this.

Also, you repeat the argument that Morrigan is the most honest member of the party, but it can't be properly checked. I am unconvinced. You know this.

Gaider (the writer who wrote Morrigan, Zevran and several other characters) has confirmed that Morrigan has no plans for the OGB, so that blows the whole notion that 'Morrigan is going to use the OGB for herself' out of the water.

Nothing is being blown out of the water. It is strange if Morrigan did not plan for anything, but it is still naive to me to think that such plans may not arise given Morrigan's constant quest for power and knowledge to improve her chances of survival. Furthermore, it makes it likely that Morrigan is mainly concerned with the Warden's survival. That would not be concordant with her philosophies. These things are hard to judge so I don't know what to make of it.

The real reason of why she didn't tell you about the ritual is given in the DA comic depicting the cut scene that was suppose to be in the game but was cut due to timing issues. She saw no need of telling you about the ritual as it was a last resort for her and thought that the Orlesian wardens would come in time and she wouldn't need to perform the act.

I looked at the comic. It was a bit unimpressive but I'm not really a fan of comics so I tend to be unimpressed, but there was some information including the Orlesian thing. That would have been a proper argument for Morrigan. It is unfortunate it is not in the game. Gaider has failed to portray Morrigan as he wished to. Her character suffers greatly from this, more than Gaider expected surely.

Still doesn't understand why she just HAS HAS HAS to run off with that damned baby. Poor Lord Aeducan.

It's because she's an evil baby snatcher :woot: Seriously though, would the warden really make a good father? He's always going to be running off to fight darkspawn, hanging out with drunks and assassins and risking his life to save whatever cause needs saving this week. He's never going to be home, just look at Oghren in Awakenings... ok, that's probably an extreme but you get the idea. She probably doesn't want to have to constantly hear "Where's daddy" coming from the child and feels the child is better growing up with one parent who will always be present.

I love Morrigan's character, as I love all the companions characters. I feel she is flawed, not evil. Like all the character's in Dragon Age. The game is probably one of the most realistic in showing how real people would act, not all good or bad. I love that. I do however get greatly annoyed at her, as she seems to contradict herself at times. For instance, she bemoans saving RedCliff, or interferring with the Merchant in Lothering, yet she is all for releasing Jowan, even if he isn't able to be of use to us. If you take the time to get to know her, though this can be tricky, especially if your female, and not able to romance her, then you find that she has very deep feelings, and she doesn't know how to handle or express this, as she was taught to care about nothing but power at Flemth's hands. I also believe that she most easily shows she cares when it comes to helping those she can relate to, like Jowan. You get approval from her for releasing him I believe. Also with Sten, I think because they are on the fringes of Ferelden society, Jowan as he is wanted and hunted, like her, Sten because he is Quanari, which also places him outside Ferelden norms. She can feel a kinship with these two, as she herself feels like she is an outsider. These times give me a glimpse into her inner workings, before I really get to know her, and it makes me believe she is indeed not evil. I don't like the dark ritual part, not because I believe she has neferious plans, but because hey, I am female and don't like the idea of sending my main squeeze to get his jollies off with another woman, but that is a personal issue, not one with Morrigan herself. So count me in the list of those that don't think she is evil.

Still doesn't understand why she just HAS HAS HAS to run off with that damned baby. Poor Lord Aeducan.

It's because she's an evil baby snatcher :woot: Seriously though, would the warden really make a good father? He's always going to be running off to fight darkspawn, hanging out with drunks and assassins and risking his life to save whatever cause needs saving this week. He's never going to be home, just look at Oghren in Awakenings... ok, that's probably an extreme but you get the idea. She probably doesn't want to have to constantly hear "Where's daddy" coming from the child and feels the child is better growing up with one parent who will always be present.

Yeah, but does being an emotionally screwed up, unloving, hateful, distant, un-compassionate, impatient woman who approves of killing children, and raising the kid to be a swamp hermit like her, make her any more suitable as a parent than the Warden?! :sad:

She's not emotionally screwed up. She's emotionally unexperienced for a large part. And if you played the relationship in a certain way, she's not unloving either. She just wont admit to it until the very end.

Killing children in general, or killing children under circumstances? There's a big difference there. I dont see her telling me to go kill the lost boy in redcliff because he's been hiding out from his older sister. Or telling me to kill the kid in Lothering because his mother got killed and he's now an orphan.

She says that it's ok to kill the kid taken over by a fade spirit. Oh gee, how many zombie movies are there where a kid gets infected, attacks somebody, and they polish him/her off? An abomination is an abomination. What do you do with it? And she'll even agree to go into the fade to rescue him. Otherwise, when you choose her to do it, you'd get a cutscene with her saying something to the effect of her saying "No, I don't want to".

Well, considering that a warden draws darkspawn just as much as darkspawn draw wardens, which would put the kid in constant danger... I'd say based on that alone, she's more qualified. She's gonna teach the kid some very valueable real world skills for survival, which is a good thing. A lot more than most other kids learn.