What are people's opinions on Morrigan?

SpellAndShield

Yes it is, because if Good & Evil isn't a perception than the opinions of Morrigan should all include she is evil.

This is why it is mere perception and not a truth,but if it was a truth everyone would be saying she is evil this is however not the case as the opinions of her vary so,...

This argument makes no sense. It assumes that if something is true that people accept this truth. But truth is not self-evident. There are many intelligent Christians I know who refuse to accept the truth of evolution because they are brainwashed not to believe it although the evidence is as overwhelming as it gets. If they lose their faith, they lose their resistance to evolution. You would say, yes, it is simply a difference of perception, but it does not erase the fact that there is an underlying truth in the matter that governs these perceptions to a great extent.

You have explained what you mean. I disagree with such a postmodernist view. There are theories on morality that are more or less universal among humans. Using that, there is ample reason to call Morrigan's actions and opinions evil and as a result Morrigan herself too.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means wanting to try to play forum vigilante, but I mention it just to try to keep you from getting a strike from the staff. But ummm... because of the highly sensative nature of religion, posting about it is a pretty sensative issue, and debates about it, arent allowed here. They tend to get out of hand and people end up getting offended or upset. http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=13193

This isnt a criticism of your post at all, like I said, I just dont want you to get into trouble for the post.

You might want to go back and edit that out :wink:

You have all still failed to justify her insistence on running off with the bast*rd forever.

She obviously wants to raise the child to adulthood and then possess it to extend her lifespan like Flemeth was going to do to her or already has done to her (since I didn't kill the old bat.)

Is there a possinility she'll become the next villain?

It has been said that she would be back in DA2. Whether or not she will be "the villain" is anybody's guess. They could throw us all a curve and have the joy of motherhood turn her into a loving nurturing person :blink:

Ick. I have a difficult time picturing that :wacko:

"MOMMY!!"

I am by no means wanting to try to play forum vigilante, but I mention it just to try to keep you from getting a strike from the staff. But ummm... because of the highly sensative nature of religion, posting about it is a pretty sensative issue, and debates about it, arent allowed here. They tend to get out of hand and people end up getting offended or upset. http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=13193

This isnt a criticism of your post at all, like I said, I just dont want you to get into trouble for the post.

You might want to go back and edit that out :wink:

Thanks for your concern, but I see no potential of this getting out of hand. I use a certain example from my own experience and it is not inviting a discussion on religion. I am not going to edit it just because religion is mentioned.

I'm with you DW. Opinions of Morrigan aside. We need to be careful in choosing language in these forums. That said, I have already expressed my opinion of Morrigan in earlier posts. She is the most complex character in DAO, and I don't believe she can be easily identified as either good or evil. We are never truly given her motivations, and must decide for ourselves. I think the whole game is pretty much laid out that way. I, for one, like her character the best, because she challenged me more than anyone else.

well in my POV morrigan is both good and evil if she want's too as human nature is.... only the choices of what she has made that defines her actions that can be categorized as such.

she tends to choose more on the evil side apparently because of the way she was raised by flemeth in wilds that power is everything and with out it would be meaningless but she does have her good side as do we all.she really is the most complex of them all and that's one of my reasons why i like her.

" an character: lawful, implying to honor and respect for society's rules. chaotic, implying to the opposite(categorized to Morri nature) and neutral, meaning, neither." one of the key elements to a great and epic story. DnD

I think that what Mary Kirby (one of the writers at Bioware) says about Morrigan, best sums her up; that, "she best symbolizes the world and the conflicts within it." Morrigan is beautiful, but in many cases just as deadly. She becomes conflicted (especially if in a romance) over the course of the game as she must balances what she think is nessary and what she desires. An example of this is when playing as a male warden, she knows that in the end she will leave the warden she is in love with, becasue of the ritual she may or maynot be allowed to perform.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that what Mary Kirby (one of the writers at Bioware) says about Morrigan, best sums her up; that, "she best symbolizes the world and the conflicts within it." Morrigan is beautiful, but in many cases just as deadly. She becomes conflicted (especially if in a romance) over the course of the game as she must balances what she think is nessary and what she desires. An example of this is when playing as a male warden, she knows that in the end she will leave the warden she is in love with, becasue of the ritual she may or maynot be allowed to perform.

Supporting this is a strip from David Gaider with art by Aimo: The Revelation

... I, for one, like her [Morrigan's] character the best, because she challenged me more than anyone else.

While I, too, liked Morrigan best, (maybe because she reminds me so much of the person with whom I share my life?) it was the Sten who presented the greatest challenge for me! I was totally turned off by his constant "Then I suggest we move on". non-response to my queries. :wallbash:

In fact, I probably wouldn't have even tried at all during my second (or any subsequent) playthrough had my son not mentioned "He likes cookies." And I said, "Cookies?!? What cookes?" and actually made the effort to figure out what's going on with him. Lots more work (for me) than getting Morri to at least express some companionable comaraderie. ;D