What are people's opinions on Morrigan?

SpellAndShield

Morrigan appealed to me from the beginning, her general demeanour brings a special something to the group resulting in some fantastic banters and conflicts of interest.

I can't be bothered to go into great depth here since I've discussed this at length over on Bioware's boards, but she is without a doubt the best written and one of the most complex character in DA:O and has a pretty non-conventional romance sub-plot as bioware rpgs go. The dark ritual scene was sadly cut down from what the writers originally intended due to time constraints, giving many a poor impression of her in the game's closing moments, which is a shame. Ultimately though she's a great character with many different sides to her, she keeps you guessing throughout the game and I can only hope that she and our current warden return for DA2.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are those who are willing to travel with their senses muted and there are those willing to explore their surroundings. Those who 'love' Morrigan as a character understand this, but there are many sadly to say do not. I connect to Morrigan and understand what she goes through and it is this that makes such a great character, the fact that you could connect with them.

If you study literature and the ways of connecting characters, themes and concept with similar concepts, then it would be easier to understand the writers' work. I think that people who don't like Morrigan either don't understand her well enough or like another character more than her, which the latter is understandable if there is another character they like more. For those who don't understand Morrigan well enough, the best way help them understand is to teach to understand why (without bashing them on the head off course :wink: ) and back it up with evidence from the game and developing team. If they play the game differently then they'll understand more.

brokenenergy: You're one of my favorite posters on this site, so I don't really want to disagree with you too much. But, although I do agreee as I said in my earlier post that Morrigan is my favorite character, I don't feel it is necessary to convince others to feel that way. We all have our reasons. Some of us like to explore more deeply into some of the characters true "souls", if you will. And others just want to take them at face value. Unfortunately this is also true in life. I think the latter group tend to lose out both in the game and in life. But whereas in life I might be willing to march or petition for a cause that I feel is important or has world changing implications, I just feel that the game is more of an escape from reality. I, for one, use it as a stress reliever, and although my true personality obviously comes out in my game playing style, I guess it is ok for others to do the same. Do you feel the same way? ;)

I am honoured to be one of your favourite posters grannywils. DA to me is nothing more to me than a great book hiding in a secondhand bookstore waiting to be found. I love books (and video games of course) and DA is probably the first game in a long time to interest me so much. There is so much about it that I like and I don't know where to start.

About teaching those who don't know much about Morrigan, I don't want to force people to like her or go at them with nerd rage, that would be rude. But I do like people to expand their horizons and learn something new. Like I said before, if they don't like her because they have another favourite or because of her personality then it is ok I don't mind it much. It is better to stop and smell the roses rather to shot past them don't you think?

I think I didn't really explain what I meant in that last post, sorry to those who found it some what rude. That is not what I really meant.

If anyone whats to see the entire conversation in the official forums about Morrigan then here is the link. Note this is a long read so it will take a while.

I am honoured to be one of your favourite posters grannywils. DA to me is nothing more to me than a great book hiding in a secondhand bookstore waiting to be found. I love books (and video games of course) and DA is probably the first game in a long time to interest me so much. There is so much about it that I like and I don't know where to start.

About teaching those who don't know much about Morrigan, I don't want to force people to like her or go at them with nerd rage, that would be rude. But I do like people to expand their horizons and learn something new. Like I said before, if they don't like her because they have another favourite or because of her personality then it is ok I don't mind it much. It is better to stop and smell the roses rather to shot past them don't you think?

I think I didn't really explain what I meant in that last post, sorry to those who found it some what rude. That is not what I really meant.

If anyone whats to see the entire conversation in the official forums about Morrigan then here is the link. Note this is a long read so it will take a while.

Hi again. I read your other post on Bioware's site. Yeah, I get what you're saying, and I pretty much agree. I don't think anyone thought you were being rude in your post. I would love to get people to expand their horizons too. Sometimes when I read those posts where someone just says, "I hated the b****", and gives no explanation it drives me crazy. But anyway I loved what you said about seeing the game as a great book hiding away in a secondhand book store waiting to be found. What a wonderful analogy.

Lots of nice, thought provoking stuff here.

I like Morrigan quite a lot as a character. She's complex and three dimensional. She has her goal, and she will pursue it above all, but she can also learn the value of real friendship (with a female Warden) and real love (with a male PC). It's just a shame she never really develops friendships with any other NPC party members.

Her trust issues feel very real to me. I've heard something very close to her terrified reaction to falling in love, and hearing it from Morrigan made me think that David Gaider is a very good observer.

I don't like her constant "Take the Evil Path" nattering, and I don't buy it as any sort of coherent philosophy. She's the Bad Companion and she's playing the role, even when taking the "Good" option makes more sense. I explain it to myself by saying that she's damaged and likes to show just how tough she is by always pushing against social norms.

She's very naive in many ways, while believing herself worldly. She's more honest with the main character than she has ever been with anyone, while deceiving him as to her real motivations until the eve of the final battle. She's a genuine loner, but like many loners she's also an incredibly loyal friend.

I really like her as a character. And she'd drive you nuts if she were actually part of your life.

I think the path of 'good'/'evil' is blurred in this game and what you necessary pick may not be the good path. I'll explain more later when I have more time.

Sure, it's a Dark Fantasy / shades of grey kind of world. And in that world, the writers have Morrigan playing the Bad Companion, always urging your character to be the Baddest Bad Man in Baddonnia even when five minutes of thought or simple human compassion would show that the right choice is not to kick the metaphorical kitten. The writers say it's because she's a social Darwinist / libertarian / rebel without a clue. Whatever. She's the Bad Girl, and she urges you to be a Bad Boy. That she really is much more than that once you get into her back story and romance makes it more annoying when she goes back into knee jerk Evil mode when decision time rolls around.

She's very naive in many ways, while believing herself worldly. She's more honest with the main character than she has ever been with anyone, while deceiving him as to her real motivations until the eve of the final battle. She's a genuine loner, but like many loners she's also an incredibly loyal friend.

These are some very good, and very true points here Book.

Good or evil, I dunno. But I can say that she's definitely "the devil that sits on the right shoulder".

Or is it the left? Feh!

I am firmly in the "Morrigan is my favorite companion" camp. There are many reasons, most of which have been mentioned in this thread, especially the complexity of her character, which is by far the best of any NPC in any game I've ever played. But she has a particularly personal attraction for me.

During my first playthrough I constantly felt like saying, "For crying out loud!?! What do you want from me?" When I actually triggered the "What do I have to do to get on your good side?" dialogue option, I had to laugh at myself!

In her very rigid application of her own code, to herself and others, and in her willingness to speak her mind even when it might be more polite to disemble, she behaves precisely like my own sweetie! (Not to mention her absolutely infuriating knack of reacting in ways exactly contrary to my expectations or intentions.)

Morrigan, I was smitten by your first "'tis", and nothing you do will lessen my ardor!