What are people's opinions on Morrigan?

SpellAndShield

Morrigan (I think) is the representation of the quote 'end justly the means'. She'll do anything to achieve her aims, even if it hurts her. I think the whole game is based around that quote as it reoccurs a lot during the game. A lot of characters do this but only Morrigan represents it all in its glory. I agree with you Book and you do bring up a lot of good points. As for what I was about to say, there is no good or evil in this game as it is all about tough choices and the consequence of these tough choices during the course of the game. But that would lead off topic so I'll stop here.

@DWolf: It is the right shoulder.

Maybe we all should form a club, no wait that is just a scary thought :blink:

Edit: Since we are talking about witches I thought to bring this up as a joke

http://yafh.com/image/3b9f4cf5-burn-the-witch-burn-witch-kill-monty-python-demotivational-poster-1223816026.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of nice, thought provoking stuff here.

I like Morrigan quite a lot as a character. She's complex and three dimensional. She has her goal, and she will pursue it above all, but she can also learn the value of real friendship (with a female Warden) and real love (with a male PC). It's just a shame she never really develops friendships with any other NPC party members.

Her trust issues feel very real to me. I've heard something very close to her terrified reaction to falling in love, and hearing it from Morrigan made me think that David Gaider is a very good observer.

I don't like her constant "Take the Evil Path" nattering, and I don't buy it as any sort of coherent philosophy. She's the Bad Companion and she's playing the role, even when taking the "Good" option makes more sense. I explain it to myself by saying that she's damaged and likes to show just how tough she is by always pushing against social norms.

She's very naive in many ways, while believing herself worldly. She's more honest with the main character than she has ever been with anyone, while deceiving him as to her real motivations until the eve of the final battle. She's a genuine loner, but like many loners she's also an incredibly loyal friend.

I really like her as a character. And she'd drive you nuts if she were actually part of your life.

Very intuitive, Book. I really find the posters on this subject fascinating. I've already told Broken Energy that. Now I'm adding you to my list. I think I'll have to go to both of your sites and give you kudos. I love to read these posts where people have given so much thought to what's going on and what they have to say. Very insightful. Anyway, I pretty much agree with both of you, and have already posted somewhere. Thanks a lot. Keep posting. I love reading what you have to say.

I like her. It may be our shared morals, (E.G. lack thereof), or the fact that she is carrying my child, or the fact that i got her to admit she loves me and wanted to stay with me, but the bottom line is, i like her. Also, she was nominated for Maxim Magazene. Lets see alistair do that!

Morrigan is quite simply the best character in the game. Just when you think you've got her figured out she'll turn the tables. Her romance is very difficult to manage, and if you have her and Wynne in the party they fight constantly. Morrigan is what would be termed in D&D (at least up to Ed. 3.5, I heard they did away with the alignment system, PAH!, a pox on WotC if they did!) Chaotic Neutral with Evil tendencies. I've got her set up as a shapeshifter (which I'm tempted to strip her of using ReSpec because shapeshifters, as always with every game I've ever played, completely useless, but it's part of her backstory, so I gotta keep it for RPG reasons) and Blood Mage. I'm tempted to shift her from Shapeshifter to Arcane Warrior for a bit simply so I can gametest the Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage build for my next character. I know that the Tevinter Warden operates under the same type of premise (blood mage/arcane warrior) but something in my myriad overrides is preventing either the Tevinter Warden or Cleric classes from showing up durin chargen. IF ANYONE KNOWS ANY SPECIFIC MOD/FILE TYPE/OVERRIDE THAT PREVENTS THESE FROM SHOWING UP PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN ELIMINATE IT! Morrigan is my favorite NPC by far, followed by Leliana, then Alistair...they're my core party...and my Mabari Warhound (thank the maker for the Dog Whistle mod, now I can have the hound as well as three other companions!). My least favorites are Zevran and Wynne. I honestly don't know why I didn't kill Wynne during the Circle quest; but I keep her around for in case I ever figure out how that Winter Forge works and can hopefully use her skills for enchantments. Oh, and did I mention Morrigan was hot? :wub:

Morrigan is quite simply the best character in the game. Just when you think you've got her figured out she'll turn the tables. Her romance is very difficult to manage, and if you have her and Wynne in the party they fight constantly. Morrigan is what would be termed in D&D (at least up to Ed. 3.5, I heard they did away with the alignment system, PAH!, a pox on WotC if they did!) Chaotic Neutral with Evil tendencies. I've got her set up as a shapeshifter (which I'm tempted to strip her of using ReSpec because shapeshifters, as always with every game I've ever played, completely useless, but it's part of her backstory, so I gotta keep it for RPG reasons) and Blood Mage. I'm tempted to shift her from Shapeshifter to Arcane Warrior for a bit simply so I can gametest the Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage build for my next character. I know that the Tevinter Warden operates under the same type of premise (blood mage/arcane warrior) but something in my myriad overrides is preventing either the Tevinter Warden or Cleric classes from showing up durin chargen. IF ANYONE KNOWS ANY SPECIFIC MOD/FILE TYPE/OVERRIDE THAT PREVENTS THESE FROM SHOWING UP PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN ELIMINATE IT! Morrigan is my favorite NPC by far, followed by Leliana, then Alistair...they're my core party...and my Mabari Warhound (thank the maker for the Dog Whistle mod, now I can have the hound as well as three other companions!). My least favorites are Zevran and Wynne. I honestly don't know why I didn't kill Wynne during the Circle quest; but I keep her around for in case I ever figure out how that Winter Forge works and can hopefully use her skills for enchantments. Oh, and did I mention Morrigan was hot? :wub:

It's funny. I said the same thing; CN (CE)....BTW, there are several mods that make shapeshifting very useful...you should try them.

What the hell, just for fun, here is my D&D alignment breakdown of all the characters...and of course alignment does NOT capture everything there is to know about a character:

Alistair: Lawful Good (pretty much a standard and regular example of a Lawful Good character)

Dog: Neutral (animal, so...)

Morrigan: Chaotic Neutral (Chaotic Evil) (very much the picture of this shade of CN imo)

Leliana: Neutral Good (Chaotic Good) (a good heart but not so terribly interested in regulations and rules)

Sten: Lawful Neutral (in many ways the epitome of Lawful Neutral, following orders without question to a hilt; if any character can be described as just being that alignment, Sten would be closest)

Wynne: Lawful Good (very obviously so)

Zevran: Neutral Evil (in many ways, a classic Neutral Evil character, he reminds me of the Yugoloths switching sides between Tan'ari and Baatezu when it suits him; he fails in his original mission and jumps on the players side to save his own skin and has no loyalty to anyone in particular; he enjoys killing, yes, very Neutral Evil imo)

Shale: Neutral (Evil) (Shale is definitely Neutral but has some clear evil and cruel tendencies, hence my dsignation)

Oghren: Chaotic Neutral (very self-interested, violent and uncaring of what others think, even oblivious and pretty much does what he wants, but without maliciousness, plus he is a beserker, a classic CN class)

Loghain: Lawful Neutral (Lawful Evil) (obviously a very complex character but one who is loyal up to a point, obsessed with national sovereignty up to the point where he will let thousands die, including the king if he thinks it is necessary (hence the evil bit), perhaps unconsciously ambitious, which gives him a Lawful Evilish flair but without outright malevolence, he is imo Lawful Neutral with Lawful Evil tendencies)

• 2 weeks later...
I think Morrigan is more then just a plot character, she's a focus on the series. With her ending they left the door open for only a few options regarding her, but those options would make for great sequels. As for her having a constant weed across her bumm, I as a woman find her refreshing. She's strong, doesnt take lip from men (which in those times a woman would probably be killed if she sneezed in a mans direction the wrong way) and she's very goal orientated. She's a great counter to say Liliana who is a girly girl and more of a follower. I also like how you have to work for her rewards. If you want to tag Morrigan aside from the end, you gotta put in some play time to get it, I love Liliana but the hardest thing you gotta do to get her in the sac is liscen to her 2 hour rants, be a goodie goodie and hand her a few flowers :whistling: Morrigan is a more dynamic player and IMO a huge part of the overall game.