Shot like aiming

xlghostlx

Custom races still share the same skeleton.nif

I'm not concerned with the skeleton per se, nor would I want a different one since I'm suggesting using the animations that were made with that skeleton. I was under the impression that custom races could make a new directory and have their own animations (it's fine if they share the same skeleton, as all humans would). I was under the impression it was one of the big advantages to making a custom race (besides having custom textures and meshes).

So for example; instead of meshes\characters\_Male\*.kf you could have meshes\characters\playerRace\*.kf (and of course meshes as well). Then you could use new or custom animations that only affect the player rather than NPCs across the wasteland.

Unfortunately no. Animgroups (combat / movement / etc) are picked automatically in the folder which contains skeleton.nif. While you *could* swap skeleton ingame via nvse, this still doesn't work for player.

Huh? The skeleton is copied over to the new directory, just as you would for the meshes, and all the kfs. This way you can replace any meshes or animations and it will only affect the custom race.

you can do it with upperbody, not with the skeleton. you can do it with creatures but not actors

I believe it is, but not having done it I can't say with 100% confidence. But I'll put it on my "to do" list to check out (item #3472), as I think it would be very useful to be able to change animations for the player (or another custom race) only. I see a lot of potential in it (say special martial arts moves that only the player or a particular group uses, for example).

when you'll succeed, we all will be very happy, believe me :)

I studied the subject enough to arrive at the conclusion that it's *still* not viable. Actually the only solution I found is pretty twisted and requires just too much work to deserve to be done.

Also do you know if the roadblock is only for fallout? The reason I ask is we (well we as in Bethesda fans, I havn't played oblvion) have custom races, well not custom, lets call it non human races (Argonian, Khajiit etc) that have special animations (for instance a tail). How are they executed? Is it that they have the same skeleton and the same animations but we just don't percieve the tail (or whatever) because there's no mesh there or did something fundamental change with fallout preventing separate skeletons and separate animations.

if your mesh has a tail, your skeleton has a tail, your tail mesh is weighted on the tail bones and you have tail animations, your tail will work properly. NPC of human races won't perceive the tail movement since their mesh has no tail. Not sure if I explained well :)

Sorry I wouldn't like to go too much offtopic, for OP. In case, would you mind to PM?