Renaming Objects / NPCs

I want to rename objects, but found out that the command SetActorFullName modifies the base objects, thus all similar objects...

Is there a way to rename a reference, keeping it unique?

And is there a command to get the name of a target..? As in the dark-clone staff ingame, which makes a copy with a new part added to the name.. (example; Jensine -> "Jensine" 's Dark Clone) As this is in the vanillagame, I figure it should be possible without obse..

Anybody?

Thanks in advance

If you are using Windows XP use the tilde(~) key to access the console.If you have 7 or Vista you will need OBSE and a mod like Ring of Console php?id (13133). Renaming objects and Npc's should be done using the Construction Set. The CS has every Npc/item in the game listed alphabetically by race/type and name. You need to read a guidebook or two on playing with console commands and editing the CS. or you will screw up your game. I didn't have a good guide and I learned from experience by crashing my game, not being able to complete quests, etc.

Im indeed using windows Xp, but thing is I'm already working on a mod, and actually ment in a script...

Trying to create a trophy script, but can't figure out how to rename a single item..

Ideas?

You mean you want to create a similar item but with different stats?

If so, you have to open the stats of the item. Change the stats more to your liking and the Editor ID into different and when it asks "Do you want to create new item?" Select 'Yes'

Otherwise it overwrites the original object and EVERY object of that kind will have the stats that you gave.

For example, let's take an object 'Silver Longsword'

It's Editor ID is "WeapSilverLongsword" without quotes. (Was I right?)

It has a damage of 14 points.

Now, if we give the damage a new value like 20.

If you just change the damage value, then every Silver Longsword in game will have a damage of 20.

But if we give damage value of 20 AND change the Editor ID to WeapSilverLongswordMyMod for example, a new object will be created. The Silver Longswords remain untouched.

You can put this new sword somewhere in game, add a script that gives it to player when doing something etc.

I hope this helped a bit :wink:

If this even was the information that you were looking for : )

Thanks, but this is not my first day :P lol

The problem is that this has to be in an object script, for in-game changes, such as summoning, and trophy mods (example; "*playername* 's Zombie" in summoning, "Soul of *victimname*" in trophy mod)

The idea is making my own trophy script, so you could collect named items

Hope it's still possible :P

@ Krimzin

What do you mean? As far as I know, if all you're trying is renaming the player himself, you can use the command (player.)SetActorFullName "..."

Thanks, but this is not my first day :P lol

The problem is that this has to be in an object script, for in-game changes, such as summoning, and trophy mods (example; "*playername* 's Zombie" in summoning, "Soul of *victimname*" in trophy mod)

The idea is making my own trophy script, so you could collect named items

Hope it's still possible :P

@ Krimzin

What do you mean? As far as I know, if all you're trying is renaming the player himself, you can use the command (player.)SetActorFullName "..."

No, I'm trying to add the player's name to an item. For example, the player is named dave. Dave dies, a corpse spawns where he was. I want the corpse to be named Dave's Corpse. But I want it to be interchangeable, so if the player's name is Steve, it will change to Steve's Corpse. Like your example of *playername*'s Zombie. Where *playername* is replaced with bob, steve, dave or whatever your pc may be named

It's a little confusing replying to two different requests. :)

So far as I have been able to determine, you cannot have two differently named (name visible in the game) references to the same object. For each unique name that you want to have, you need to have a unique object to make a reference from.

In the case of the person who wants to have a "Player's Corpse" reference with the appropriate name, you could create the Corpse object in the construction set and then change the name to the player's name with a script (and place a ref whereever you wish).

For the person that wants multiple unique "trophies"? best I can suggest is to create "x" number of these objects and rename them through a script - this gives you a fixed number of uniquely named things you could use.

The problem is that the visible in-game name comes from the object - not the reference - so every reference to a particular object will always have the same name. When the object name changes, all of the references will inherit the new name.

Im indeed using windows Xp, but thing is I'm already working on a mod, and actually ment in a script...

Trying to create a trophy script, but can't figure out how to rename a single item..

Ideas?

You mean you want to create a similar item but with different stats?

If so, you have to open the stats of the item. Change the stats more to your liking and the Editor ID into different and when it asks "Do you want to create new item?" Select 'Yes'

Otherwise it overwrites the original object and EVERY object of that kind will have the stats that you gave.

For example, let's take an object 'Silver Longsword'

It's Editor ID is "WeapSilverLongsword" without quotes. (Was I right?)

It has a damage of 14 points.

Now, if we give the damage a new value like 20.

If you just change the damage value, then every Silver Longsword in game will have a damage of 20.

But if we give damage value of 20 AND change the Editor ID to WeapSilverLongswordMyMod for example, a new object will be created. The Silver Longswords remain untouched.

You can put this new sword somewhere in game, add a script that gives it to player when doing something etc.

I hope this helped a bit :wink:

If this even was the information that you were looking for : )

So you want to add the player's name to object?

I don't know how this is possible. When you summon something, the creature has player's name in it. Perhaps the answer will be found from Conjuring spell scripts?

Or you can always create a new item and name it, for example "Your Longsword" or "Your Jug"

'Your' refers to player character and this is maybethe easiest way to do this.

So you want to add the player's name to object?

I don't know how this is possible. When you summon something, the creature has player's name in it. Perhaps the answer will be found from Conjuring spell scripts?

Or you can always create a new item and name it, for example "Your Longsword" or "Your Jug"

'Your' refers to player character and this is maybe the easiest way to do this.