Settings won't save

Hi guys, I needs some help from anyone who has some.

I was playing Oblivion today after batch installing some mods (most of which I've used before and seemed like perfectly good mods), and I noticed that there wasn't much grass on the floor. I went into my video menu and saw that my sliders had been put in their default setting, instead of being at max. I put them all back where they were supposed to be and went back into the game, but I didn't notice any difference. I went back to the menu again and noticed that they went back to default again. After trying to get it to work about six times, I gave up and went to Google. I searched like 4 versions of the phrase "Oblivion settings won't save." I went through about 8 pages of each search, and the closest thing I could find was an issue where the game would reset it's setting to default every time the game was closed, but I couldn't find my specific problem.

Also, this is my first char to get out of the sewers since I reinstalled everything last night, so I didn't notice it until just a few minutes ago and I don't know what's causing it. Some of the mods I'm using are OOO, Midas Magic, Male Body Replacer V5, HGEC V1.21, DarkUI'd DarN, and Streamline (not in that order). If anyone knows an easy way to list all of my active OMODs and esps, lemme know cuz there's like 20 and I don't have the patience for learning how to spell them and then typing them. :P

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Are you crashing on exit? Install the latest OBSE and install Fast Exit 2. The other possibility is that you do not like Streamline's StreamSmooth feature, which modifies your Oblivion.ini settings to maintain the FPS range you've specified (or the default range, if you have not changed it.) If the problem is the latter, turn off StreamSmooth.

Stabilization Mods - http://sites.google.com/site/oblivionpoinfo/stabilization/stabilizationmods <-- links here

SL.ini Tweaks - http://sites.google.com/site/oblivionpoinfo/stabilization/streamline <-- follow this guide to modify the SL.ini file

I was playing Oblivion today after batch installing some mods (most of which I've used before and seemed like perfectly good mods), and I noticed that there wasn't much grass on the floor. I went into my video menu and saw that my sliders had been put in their default setting, instead of being at max. I put them all back where they were supposed to be and went back into the game, but I didn't notice any difference. I went back to the menu again and noticed that they went back to default again. After trying to get it to work about six times, I gave up and went to Google. I searched like 4 versions of the phrase "Oblivion settings won't save." I went through about 8 pages of each search, and the closest thing I could find was an issue where the game would reset it's setting to default every time the game was closed, but I couldn't find my specific problem.

Also, this is my first char to get out of the sewers since I reinstalled everything last night, so I didn't notice it until just a few minutes ago and I don't know what's causing it. Some of the mods I'm using are OOO, Midas Magic, Male Body Replacer V5, HGEC V1.21, DarkUI'd DarN, and Streamline (not in that order). If anyone knows an easy way to list all of my active OMODs and esps, lemme know cuz there's like 20 and I don't have the patience for learning how to spell them and then typing them. :P

Try opening the console (tilde key) and typing "saveini" without the quotes, press enter. This will force an .ini save.

Try opening the console (tilde key) and typing "saveini" without the quotes, press enter. This will force an .ini save.

Yeah...There's that, but if you are not crashing on exit, and Streamline is not making unwanted changes, that should be unnecessary. Plus, if Streamline has made changes, all that will do is save the INI modified with the changes Streamline has made, haha... That is a nice console command to know if you are worried about the game crashing (not on exit) however...

Streamline is famous for making changes to your ini while you play. It trades the visual effects (like grass) for a few more FPS. If you really must have Streamline, do what TomLong recommended and turn off the stream smooth part and find a happy medium in your manual settings to balance visuals with FPS.

Streamline is famous for making changes to your ini while you play. It trades the visual effects (like grass) for a few more FPS. If you really must have Streamline, do what TomLong recommended and turn off the stream smooth part and find a happy medium in your manual settings to balance visuals with FPS.

...that sounds so bad though... Streamline's docs say that it change the INI settings. If users read those docs, they would not be surprised when there object load distance sliders had changed... Anyway, my favorite feature of Streamline is the purging (buffer management) and the timed autosaves. I save a lot, and that takes some of the pressure off of me to manually save constantly. The other thing about StreamSaves is that they are save, and you can use Streamline's quick save feature safely (although I do not use that feature.) The buffer management helps with stability, by helping with recycling that allows your game to run longer without running into memory limit issues and whatnot. As for StreamSmooth, its purpose is not only to keep the specified FPS range, but also it is supposed to smooth FPS, preventing drastic changes in FPS as you play, contributing to a smoothing effect. The Oblivion Stutter Remover is much more complex than SL's StreamSmooth feature, but many users use the two in conjunction for increased performance. Many users opt to turn of StreamSmooth and let OSR handle that functionality entirely, as well. The choice is up to you. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that SL's StreamSmooth feature can be detrimental to performance on very good systems. That is not the case with OSR, and all of SL's other features are still worthy of keeping around.

Thanks for all the info guys. So I have some questions and comments:

1) How do I know if the game is crashing after I save?

2) I've tried the saveini thing and it didn't do anything

3) I think Streamwhatever might be the problem, so I'll try deactivating that and using my Oblivion.ini backup

4) I don't think that the crashing thing would be the cause since it goes back to default the moment I get out of the in-game menu

I'll update this post after doing some more testing.

Update: Alright that did the trick, and I've gotten it where I want it. Thanks again for the info and such.

Please don't think I am running down Streamline. It is a brilliant mod. Unfortunately Jaga Tharn left us with a beta. A very good beta that does mostly what it is supposed to do with a few bugs and problems that can be worked around. Most of the problems I have personally encountered were in the streamsight part, which can be disabled.

It can be disconcerting to have a bandit or wolf suddenly appear already attacking. Or arrows coming from an archer you can't see until you stop moving. Ruins and buildings that faded out when you start moving tward them, just to suddenly reappear closer. People standing in the middle of the street in a city that just weren't there a second ago. It may take a little fiddling with the settings to find a happy median between FPS and video features. And this fiddling must be done in the streamline as whatever you do in the game video settings WILL be changed by Streamline IF streamsight is enabled - because that is what it does. It trades video features for FPS by changing those video features in the ini while you play.

I also found several video anomalies, places where a portion of the mid distance scenery seemed to be just a blank brown or gray wall

Yes. Many users also dislike what StreamSight does. I like the distant fog effect and what not, but it is not for everyone. I already mentioned my two favorite features, however... Maybe I should elaborate one what StreamSight does as well. Also, a "fix" or two have been presented for Streamline's StreamSight feature, a settings fix or something. I have yet to look into it, but I should get to it this summer.

• 5 months later...