Custom armor/weapon VFX missing

Hello!

I've been trying to make a custom armor and weapon for ages. but I'm stuck with a problem. Nothing I do seems to activate the particle effects to my custom weapons, or armor. also, spell buffs don't cover my custom meshes. I've tried everything that came to my mind and searched for other people with the same problem but I found almost no one with the same problem.

Im using DAO Export tool for max, by the way. so far, everything works, except for the VFX...

If anyone can help, I'll apreciate it. :yes:

i can try to help, friend :]

please do not be offended if any advice seems very basic, just trying to cover as many angles as i can before someone more capable can provide more

if you do not see weapon vfx in game, this means you possibly may have installed a mod that removes "crust" effects that sometimes plague line of sight in heavy combat situations

do a "search" in your override for "fx", and look for any pertinent .gda files (often named after original, vfx_base, blahmodvfx_base)

if you're still having issues and are certain your gpu is fully dx9 compliant, remove your entire override folder to desktop (just for trouble shooting), start or load a new game and see if effects reappear

if you are worried that soemthing is wrong with your armor model because it doesnt not have special effects, do not be worried, this is because visual fx by default are disabled on shields, armor, rings, etc

this can be easily changed by changing the itemprop xls in your source folder from within the toolset install dir

are you sure you are using correct parameters within toolset for the items, from slots to special properties, etc

if after all of this still nothing, and you were -sure- to do the previous, slight chance direct x may be outdated if using winxp its an honest mistake to overlook

ahah damn the bad luck, i should of asked if u had vfx BEFORE and if this is a recent issue that suddenly cropped up

probably woulda trimmed my post down to 2 lines...anyway who cares we're here now :D

Hey thank you for your reply!, I do have a mod installed that hides vfx but they appear briefly and then dissapear. in my armor or sword, it doesn't appear at all. Ill try deleting everything in the override folder and see how it goes, but i think it might be something that i missed somewhere during the armor export or some setting that I have forgot to fix... as far as I know, my video card is dx9 capable. it's not such a good card but it works propperly, at least most of the time :tongue:. I also have win 7... I don't know if my directx is updated but I'll check that too. I'll double check everything from the toolset and compare it to other armor found in the game.

thank you for your time!

you are most welcome

in order to "force" dragon age into allowing VFX on chest or other body parts you must open item properties.xls and navigate to the item props tab, go to bottom and locate refid/row 60 labeled VFX, enable by setting to 1 for specific item type to bypass VFX restriction

be careful with "cold VFX" stat in toolset, in game is very buggy and doesnt disapear until you quick-load/refresh

also VFX looks very strange/awful on ranged/bow weapon types, haha, no wonder they left it off

i know this sounds silly but did you check the main file path override as well, c:prgrm files/dragon age instead of c:my docs:bio/override

try editing ANY item from toolset just to test, just check out export and dont save changes, but add flame damage +1 or something i think i am wrong but perhaps _tag names or something hav eto match upfor it to work? sorry ive never had this problem but i think tis something simple

i have not installed windows 7 or else i may have had more to offer than...nothing at all haha

was supposed to upgrade weeks ago but im addicted to dragon ale

edit - ****dragon age not ale, lol

Edited by veteran_gamer

Hello!

well, I checked everything and it turned out to be a missing mesh that is supposed to be the particle emitter, the weapon works now as it should. now I only need to fix the armor and it'll be done finally...

thanks again!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8118/arreglado.jpg

glad to hear it & sweet sword dude

i downloaded a custom staff, its modeled after a black snake/cobra, i use it for moriggan, has the same issue, now with your reply i realize its within the mesh/compiling

i hope to learn the compiling end of things sometime this month, i will definitely message you when the time comes if i need help solving this issue ;]