A word about realism mods

iavor55

I think your mis-focusing.

The combat topic wasn't so much to teach us how lasers work or what plasma is or whatever.It was pretty much to tell you that if something costs that much there should be a f*cking reason for it! And to also show that realism mods often overpower already overpowered weapons!

Also you should focus on realism mods feeling realistic enough to be called a "realism mod" and not a "dificulty improvement" mod! I'm not saying "GO EXACLY LIKE REAL LIFE OR GTFO!" Im just suggesting some more realistic poo.And even if boiling doesn't get rid of radiation then just drop a freaking rad-x pill in there! Problem solved! And to make it so that people just skip on buying the expensive equiptment then why not make boiling take longer or maybe the water purifier have more than one per use limit?!

It was my impression that realism mods were created by people who dislike items like Rad-X, Radaway and Stimpaks (freaking or otherwise) because they are basically magic potions and so therefore (∴) annoyingly unrealistic and immersion breaking.

And most of your other bones. There is a model that is man-portable and I think can be fired whilst held, but you have to set the fire rate really low and it's designed as a vehicle mount. Pretty much the only way you're using a minigun is if you wear Power Armour. Or happen to have been dipped in FEV recently...

TBH Fallout 3 isn't meant to be too realistic, it's set in a freaking ruined retro-futuristic metropolis where men in man-sized tanks battle monstrosities created by dipping a guy in a crapton of green goo, alll the while watching out for the magic spots where radiation hasn't faded to hiroshima Levels after 200 years. Want realism? Play a game where there are no mutants and all the survivors have more cancer than /b/ or GTFO, want immersion? We all do now stop going on about realism and admit that's what you're after.

Well.

To start off I have tried several realism mods, but will use "Fallout 3 Wonderer edition" since I find it most indept.

While playing this mod I found it quite interesting to go around the wastes AND have to worry about hunger.thirst and sleeping, but it realy was missing some parts that realy make you feel like your fighting to survive! One such thing is the fact was the way you acumulate water.It seems that to fill up an empty bottle you have to press it in the invetory and then press "use" on a water source.Fare enough, just that it has to be a certain water source that I can't relay figure out.You can drink from water towers, sinks, toilets, irradieted water sources and whatever comes around you, yet you can fill up the water bottle ONLY at certain spots.By the way - different bottles need different sources -_-...Another thing that bothered me is the fact how you clean the water! You must purchase a high tech water purifier (that needs an energy cell AND Rad-X to work!) wich by what I read in the manual was made for field use by soldiers! I'd say that if you were fighting for your life in the wastes you would pretty much make a campfire or something and BOIL the water or dig a hole,put the water in it, put a cup or something in the middle, cover it with something that doesn't absorb water,put a rock on the material somewhere near the cup and wait! Perfect filtration system! I understand that the hole system would be stuypid to integrate into a mod, but atleast boiling it is more common then carrying around a super high tech water purifier! HELL if it was possible I would just bring that purifier to "Dad" and say "There! Problem solved! Now wheres my money!".

Next problem! The Wonderer's edition mod and alike change the weight by focusing on strength and endurance...sure...thats fine, but anyone think ab out space?! Wouldn't a big bag with balanced weight give you WAY more ability to carry sh*t than just carrying a laser rifle in one pocket and a granade in the other.Also some armor or some other equipment!?

Now for combat.Im not sure if this is just for the Wanderer's edition mod, but I still want to say it for other modders willing to make a realism mod! Its pretty much bout killability.Im quite happy that both you AND the enemies have been made easier to kill, but this brings some problems.

A) Weapons such as flamethrowers,miniguns,gatling lasers and alike are now WAY overpowered and mainly towards the player.Sure removing them would be quite the downside,but atleast make it so that enemies wont spawn in them at spots like small buildings!Recently I had to use mode jsut to get past two S.M. Heavy Gunners with machine guns waiting me around a corner!

B) Energy weapons and power armor.I understand that power armor is ment to protect from bullets since it uses the energy to protect from it.Then why the hell has the resistance towards laser,pusle and plasma been raised aswell while the player gets just a small bost against it!?Lasers use heat so they should be able to get through the armor.Pulse uses emp-like energy devises to "sap" the armor (also seen in Operation anchorage near the end where theres a pulse minefield wich also "saps" the power suits!) and plasma uses (I think) a combo of those so I dont see why it wouldn't be able to get through!Also if plasma and pulse mines are also the priciest then why do they do so little damage?!

Speaking of combat lets talk about some post-combat things like healing.The Wanderer's edition mod works quite well with healing removing the ability to permanently heal limbs with a stimpack and instead giving the triage system (using a medical brace and a stimpack) to heal limbs temporarily.My complaint is why the f*cking hell just for 24 hours! Say you've broken your arm (in real life).They would immobilize the joints and such with any materials in hand, but that wouldn't ware off or something after 24 hours now would it!?What I suggest is simply instead of healing them fully, but temporarily it would heal it just enough to NOT be crippled and then it would continue to heal! Tho till it heals fully the limb would be way more vaunrable.Also how the hell do you use a medical brace and stimpack on your freaking head?!How do you even cripple a head without killing the person is beyond me!

Anyways I hope that this thread would help people planning to make a realism mods in the future!

If you are any good at modding then I suggest you try to improve on it, who knows, it might turn out to be a big hit!

AS for the dirty water, boiling would not work, you are not dealing with germ infested water, you are dealing with water teaming to the brim with radiation, you will not solve that problem with heat, thus the 'advanced' purifier is necessary.

Now on to the lasers, they do not necessarily have to create heat, although they almost certainly do emit a little, if you are good at modding, I suggest creating a weapon much like a laser that shoots out a highly concentrated blast of radiation, electricity, or even poisonous chemicals, that could produce quite an enjoyable experience.