Noob would like help and to share an idea.

myshadow488

Ok so I finally have the GECK running and decided the first thing I'd like to change is the weapon Amata gives you. Maybe I should of picked something easier but im really not intrested in making a nuke shooting pistol or some other pointless weapon.....at least at this point in time.

So far I have decided on a weapon, the law dog, copied it's specs, adapted it to the .32 pistol (for fear of why they took it out in the first place) and have placed it along with its ammo in Amatas inventory....Acctualy I'v placed it in about 3 different Amatas since I couldn't get it to work.....I even removed her jump suit to see if it worked with out going through all the dialoge hehehe....back on topic....I then realized that the items NPC's give you are proabaly given though script and are not really in their inventory. Is that the case? I'm not asking anyone to press buttons for me but a point in the right direction would be great. Thanks!

Oh and by the way I'v watched videos and read the post for noobs on this site but just had not found any information on this so don't rip on me too bad haha

I think what makes getting started so hard is not knowing what to call things leading you not to beable to do a proper search.

The player gets the gun in a result script of Stage 8 of the CG04 quest:

; Amata gives the player the pistol
CG04AmataREF.removeitem weap10mmPistol 1
CG04AmataREF.removeitem ammo10mm 10 ; remove it all
player.additem weap10mmPistol 1
player.additem ammo10mm 36

You would need the player.additem lines changed to deliver your custom weapon and ammo to the player. Changing Amata's inventory and removeitem is optional, but would keep things consistent.

Actually it does not override putting stuff in her inventory because she doesn't need it in her inventory. The script just places items in your inventory without taking them from anywhere. It is all just code. You can't think of NPCs as real people giving you something that they have, even if an animation runs that makes it look like she is giving you something. She probably has it in her inventory so that the player can get the weapon even if he tells her to get lost. You could pick pocket it from her or kill her and take it from her body that way. The script removes those items from her inventory when you get them so that you can't get another pistol and ammo from her after accepting them. It preserves the illusion that she has actually given you something. Game mechanics is all about creating illusions, which when done well is what some people might call immersion.