How do I download, install, and apply mods with a vista?

Mud Crab Carl

Yeah, I know these kinds of "OH GOD HELP I CAN:T FIGURE THIS OUT" threads are irritating and far to common, but just hear me out, I'm in a sticky fix.

I've had Oblivion for around three years now, and I play it on and off at random intervals.

Vanilla has kept me reasonably entertained for that time, but any time I visit the nexus, I get discouraged almost instantly.

Why, you ask?

Because I have a vista.

I'm in no way tech savvy and vistas got it's files in weird places compared to other processing systems.

I have absolutely no idea at all how to get a mod into my game, where to copy it to, or what I need to do to get it to function.

I'd be eternally indebted to anyone who can give me a step by step procedure and make my moding experience possible,

Thanks.

If you have it installed to a default folder, then you'll have to reinstal it anywhere NOT there, or the mods won't work. Better on a disk different from the one containing system files. You can keep your saves, of course (username/documents/my games/oblivion for Vista, but I guess there should be an option to keep them at reinstall). Otherwise, there's no difference, you install all your mods in the Oblivion/Data folder like everyone else. Just don't rush and install only a few per time.

On the other - too many different installation details coming with each mod and if you're so new you'll have to read readmes carefully - that's serious. Also, install OMM - a few minutes of studying the instruction and you won't have to worry about install details for at least half mods here. Also has archive invalidation utility - you'll have to do that for replacers.

Also, before bben46 has the chance... here are your details:

Bben's mod advice and Bben's list of help articles :smile:

Well first, do not install OBMM, its annoying and confusing.

All you need to do is manual installs

1. Download 7-Zip

2. Find a mod, it can be .zip, .rar, or .7z

3. Download it.

4. Once it's finished, right click and select go to file location or something.

5. Right click on the file

6. Select 7-Zip then Extract Files

7. just follow what it says, shouldn't take more than a few seconds

8. Open up the new folder the with the same name as the file.

9. Go to the start menu

10. Right Click Oblivion

11. Click open file location

12. Move the mod files (Not read me's, pictures or anythin, only the .esp and Meshes/Textures/Sounds)

13. Exit out of all of that

14. Open Oblivion start menu

15. Click Data Files

16. Click the box to the left of the file

17. It should be ready to go!

First off, as stated above, you need to reinstall Oblivion outside of Program Files, because the security there will attack things like mods because it thinks they are viruses or hacking attacks on the computer. You can put Oblivion wherever you like. My copy is in:

C: Games\Oblivion\Data.

Oblivion Mod Manager is a great launcher, but personally don't use OMODs much. Everyone says they are great, but it sounds to me like it makes it so the modders and the gamers have to learn a bunch of new stuff instead of spending their time playing and modding the game. That sounds like less enjoyment rather than more enjoyment. If you like that sort of program, go for it! Otherwise, I suggest that you install all the non-OMOD downloads as non-OMODs and install all the OMODs as OMODs. Just basically install things in the form you downloaded them in. This allows you to follow the installation instructions in the readme files, and prevents you from tinkering with things and breaking them by accident if you are not highly skilled.

First off, as stated above, you need to reinstall Oblivion outside of Program Files, because the security there will attack things like mods because it thinks they are viruses or hacking attacks on the computer. You can put Oblivion wherever you like. My copy is in:

C: Games\Oblivion\Data.

Fine, forgive my insolence on the subject, but what would be the best way to go about this?

Do I actually uninstall the game and reinstall it in a different area than it was (how?)

Can I simply copy and paste the files/move them to a different location instead of going through an installation process?

Oblivion Mod Manager is a great launcher, but personally don't use OMODs much. Everyone says they are great, but it sounds to me like it makes it so the modders and the gamers have to learn a bunch of new stuff instead of spending their time playing and modding the game. That sounds like less enjoyment rather than more enjoyment. If you like that sort of program, go for it! Otherwise, I suggest that you install all the non-OMOD downloads as non-OMODs and install all the OMODs as OMODs. Just basically install things in the form you downloaded them in. This allows you to follow the installation instructions in the readme files, and prevents you from tinkering with things and breaking them by accident if you are not highly skilled.

I downloaded OMM in anticipation some time ago after reading a basic article on this subject, but I get this warning message every time I open it that makes me wonder if I even have what I need.

http://i47.tinypic.com/331fu5w.png

I'd do what it tells me, but I don't remember where I stuck the OMM files away in.

Even if I found them I'm not sure if I'd understand any of the technical jargin within.

I've also downloaded two mods in anticipation and in an attempt to figure out how to use OMM.

During my first try I set the mods and the information, data, meshes, etc. in folders and attempted to open them/activate them with OMM which didn't work.

Second try I downloaded a mod with 7-zip and got a file type that isn't even recognized by my computer, despite the fact that I now have 7zip and should be able to read a 7z file.

This is migraine inducing.

It's strange you had these issues... I run vista AND on a laptop even, and I haven't had any difficulty...

But I think is why it was so easy is because I turned off the stupid User Account Control that makes you confirm every little thing your computer does. I swear if life had something like that, I'd kill myself. I'd go to take a crap and someone would pop out of nowhere and ask, "A bodily function or program that can affect other users of this body needs your permission to start. Check the name of the action to ensure that it's a function or program you want to run."

I swear if life had something like that, I'd kill myself. I'd go to take a crap and someone would pop out of nowhere and ask, "A bodily function or program that can affect other users of this body needs your permission to start. Check the name of the action to ensure that it's a function or program you want to run."

... That happens to me sometimes...

Maybe not the exact wording, but yeah... :sad: