How do I download, install, and apply mods with a vista?

Mud Crab Carl

Oblivion was made for the WinXP operating system. Before the advent of UAC which first came with Vista. Installing in the default location works fine with XP. And if you only play the vanilla unmodded game in Vista or Win7. However, when you start trying to make changes to the game such as mods, UAC can block you.

I do not recommend removing UAC as it is another layer of defense to keep malware out. UAC works to protect programs installed in the 'program files folder and the program files(x86) folder only. So by reinstalling Oblivion, and any other games that you can mod in a new place outside of those folders you avoid the UAC problem altogether. I recommend creating a new folder C:\Games\Oblivion. That way you will have a folder (C:\Games ) for any other games you need to install (such as fallout3) which has the same problem - it can be installed in C:\Games\Fallout3 - your games will be in the same base folder, with each game in it's own folder.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

As for OBMM, it is not a mod, and does not install like a mod so be sure to read the instructions on installing it. The error you show can be caused by trying to install in the UAC protected program files or by not being signed onto your computer as an administrator.

I do recommend using OBMM, at least for its ability to change the load order. The OMOD part is optional and OBMM can change the order of mods installed by any method. The advantage of the OMOD method is that it allows you to completely remove a mod where the manual method requires you to track down every mesh, texture and other file that a mod installed and remove them manually. Just unchecking a mod in the data list does NOT remove it and can leave behind bits and pieces that can cause problems. OMODs are not difficult to use, just different.

mhh, not encouraged due the Registry Keys (saying that you oblivion is in where you firstly installed it to program whos gona look oblivion up in the registry tree) you'd better off installing again at a root folder of another partition for example instead of your windows partition © install it in (d) and in a folder there so...

D:/Oblivion

:)

I always liked vista!

Like exoduis said. The registry will not follow the move properly. Bethesda apparently recognized this as a problem as you can move Fallout3.

I have been recommending reinstalling to a new folder such as C:\Games\Oblivion. That way, if you get any more games that don't get along with the UAC you can add them to the same folder set - such as C:\Games\Fallout3 and C:\Games\Morrowind

But I think is why it was so easy is because I turned off the stupid User Account Control that makes you confirm every little thing your computer does. I swear if life had something like that, I'd kill myself. I'd go to take a crap and someone would pop out of nowhere and ask, "A bodily function or program that can affect other users of this body needs your permission to start. Check the name of the action to ensure that it's a function or program you want to run."

dude, im gonna use that as my sig ;D

Imagine then a virus, a real one, asking your permission to affect your body. AIDS or the like. Everything may have a merit, though my patience is thin with UAC as well.

*Presses Cancel*

Kthxbai.

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried installing in C. Doesn't work for me. Vista, genius that it is, then makes the entire folder read only and no matter what I select in the security tab the game will not run so its even worse than Programs directory. The only install directory that works for me (without disabling UAC) is in the users folder. That is the only sanctum away from Vista's Nazi security I have found.

A tutorial on how to because I have Vista as well.

1.Get WinRAR.

2.Download your mod.

3.Extract mod from WinRAR to ***(I made a folder for my mods in Documents).

4.Go into the folder where you extracted to.

5. All mods are different, so if it is things like armor or weapons, or quests, etc. Anything that has Textures, Meshes, and an ESP file, copy and paste into Oblivion Data folder (OS:C,Progam Files,Bethesda Softworks, Oblivion, Data).

6. If step 5 didn't work, read the ReadMe file in your mod and look for the *Installation* section.

7. If step 5 DID work, launch Oblivion WITHOUT OBSE and click Data Files, then check off the mod because it should be there.

I hope this helps your Oblivion gaming. Mods are the main source of entertainment for PC Oblivion. Enjoy ;)