Boat accident. And a lot of oil

MonsterHunterMaster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First they said 300k then 800k and now it comes out it is 4 million liters per day.

Lying until it dont go anymore.

+

Corexin from Nalco? Yep you guessed it ! BP is in Nalco. Exxon is in Nalco and it is just another poison.

Arent we all a happy family`in truth as one?

I almost tend to vote for life imprisonment in the case of the Chief Executive of the BP Group, Tony Hayward. It's high time to make an example, to show a backbone, to demonstrate not to be bought, not to be a betrayer for mankind ... and nature. The event we have to face is no trivial offense, folks.

I almost tend to vote for life imprisonment in the case of the Chief Executive of the BP Group, Tony Hayward. It's high time to make an example, to show a backbone, to demonstrate not to be bought, not to be a betrayer for mankind ... and nature. The event we have to face is no trivial offense, folks.

That's rather extreme and would solve nothing. This man is not, after all, a war criminal. Since the tragic consequences have been caused by an accident, and an accident that has not been and may never be proved to be a result of negligence (oil and gas drilling, off or on shore, is inherently hazardous), you have no criminal offence committed, so even the British courts wouldn't extradite him. As in the case of the Exxon Valdez, the proper course of action is for BP to be pursued through the civil courts for damages, just as Exxon Corporation were. Thereby you have chance for the truth to be tried and the quantum of compensation decided. It MIGHT then be open for charges of corporate manslaughter to be laid, since people have died. But you MUST have investigation, inquests, evidence. Very often there is a knee jerk response to environmental disasters - in the case of the Exxon Valdez, the initial punitive damages awarded were equivalent to a year's profit for Exxon - and the award got booted by the US Supreme Court. That BP should pay something is beyond doubt, but the way their shares are bombing at the moment, analysts believe there is a real possibility they won't survive. And if they don't, who pays then?

@kidwithafro - I see your point, but there can be a case for firing isolated small slicks that have broken off from the main spill. Obviously this is a WELL that has blown, rather than a tanker run aground, so you don't have the option of setting fire to the source of the spill. I well remember the Torrey Canyon running aground off the Isles Of Scilly when I was a lass, and the naval aviators blowing the ship open and then firebombing. That was really small scale compared to the current disaster. But marine life DOES recover. There is no doubt, however, that something needs to be done right away, to save both lives of the wildlife and livelihood of those afffected, as well as caring for the families of those who have died.

That's rather extreme and would solve nothing. This man is not, after all, a war criminal.

Make it soft as usual, doubtlessly by fear, and you'll see where the story ends... in the void where we all have to pay the prize for a single man's failures. I say NO to it.

It is indeed a war crime, cos they wage a silent war against mankind and nature, exclusively for the sake of temporarily profit.

Believe me, it is necessary to fight with no holds barred or you'll live in a Fallout environment soon... looking for a not yet empty nuka cola in the trash

Where I come from, you still have to have a trial as a general rule. And for a crime to be committed there must be mens rea and actus reus. I think you would find it impossible to prove mens rea in this case, that Tony Hayward decided to have a major oil leak on purpose, or was reckless as to whether one occurred or not. Any court would acknowledge that there is an inherent risk in the oil business. There is no doubt that BP are culpable, although that needs to be ruled on by a proper court of law.. But a knee jerk response, putting this guy away for life and bankrupting the company will NOT help those affected. BP need to be made for a rolling programme of clean up, compensation and sealing the well. As it seems that there may be a design fault with the well, they also need to be made to examine all other wells of the same design. BP therefore need to be still trading to be able to keep paying.

This is not philosophising, it's what needs to happen. Surprisingly enough I don't have much truck with this companies waging war against man and nature talk, or this evils of capitalism talk. If companies didn't make a profit, there'd be no jobs, to put it simply.

The latest news I have heard, is that there will be a trial. Even Mr. Obama is choked to hear how much coruption and "giftgiving" that took place between BP and the controlling authority.

Yes, it´s nice someone do the job, and find some hard needed energy for us. But do it right. Not by spoiling everything else in greed for quick gold.