City Elf plot hole??

Lehcar

Well I'm playing as a City Elf right now, and I think I've just spotted a rather large contradiction in dialogue vs the story.

So right at the beginning of the game, it's explicitly stated that the City Elf was taught all of their fighting skills by their late mother, Adaia, and learned everything from her. So that means can't possibly have died more than just a few years prior to the beginning of the story.

But in a certain conversation with Morrigan, where she asks about the Warden's own mother, the City Elf's available response is "My mother died when I was born." Uhhhhhhhhh... WTF? That is totally wrong. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever and completely contradicts the story I was given earlier... :wacko:

That is a script problem, rather than a failed plot hole but there is a mod to fix it.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=928 Zevran Dialog Fix

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1120 Morrigan Restoration Patch

Note that they are both comparable except for Alistair Dialog Patch if you have it installed.

Yup, I had the same reaction when I heard myself making the "Mom died when I was born" speech. While I guesssss one could claim there's enough ambiguity in the actual statement to span the logic gap, it rang false in my ear!

Strange that the dialogue correction to the City Elf origin story ("My mother died a long time ago...") was made for Mages, but not the rest of us...

That is a script problem, rather than a failed plot hole but there is a mod to fix it.

Well, it still looks like a plot gaff to me. What alternate scenario requires the "mother died at child's birth" path in the first place? Couldn't/Shouldn't ALL of the City Elf origins have had Adaia's death be more recent than that in order to be consistent with all conversation trees? I mean, why introduce more complexity than necessary?

The Dalish elf's mother died after giving birth; the game is producing the wrong script by giving it to the city elf.

Ahhhh, I had forgotten that particular difference between the two elven origins. Have only created one Dalish PC, (months ago, and then only to get the badge...)

In fact, I just returned to that playthrough last night after having left her standing in front of the Quartermaster at Ostagar! I've now applied the "Morrigan Restoration Patch Dialog Fixpack", which should provide a little "something new" to look forward to this time around. :thumbsup:

No, I thought it was the Dalish Elf's father that died, before they were even born? It never says that their mother died, just that she left after the Dalish Elf was born and was never seen or heard of again. I suppose it's probably safe to assume that she is dead, but that can't be known for sure? :confused:

The father died right before the PC is born. The mother gives birth but is so heartbroken by the loss of her mate that she then wanders off into the woods never to be seen again. (PC - "So she abandoned me?") It is to be assumed that she died of a broken heart (gave up the will to live.)

Whatever the real reason for this, as I see it there is no actual game problem. I just assumed selecting the, "died when I was born", option was effectively a polite way of saying, "I don't wish to discuss this". Who says you were being honest ?