My toolset broke

Lehcar

My... my toolset broke?? NO!! :sad:

Well now I'm without a toolset because for the life of me I simply cannot get it to work.

See I kept getting this stupid "could not connect to database" error, and everything I tried to fix it would not work so I decided to try to reinstall. But I can't reinstall because the stupid SQL 2005 installation keeps randomly failing for some reason, leaving it partially installed and the toolset still un-usable.

I've tried everything. I tried the windows installer cleanup, I tried to download the SQL 2008 but for some reason the installation for that also randomly failed part way through for some reason.

I have no idea why the toolset suddenly broke and stopped working, I've hardly touched it these past few days and today it just... stopped working.

I swear I spent 5 hours trying to fix the problem myself, I tried googling for solutions but a lot of them were a bunch of complicated babble and did nothing to fix the problem.

Please, PLEASE someone help me... all this messing around uninstalling and reinstalling ad nauseum is just wreck my comp, I desperately need some good solutions. I want my toolset back so bad! :sad:

lechar relax my friend, there is a solution to any crisis we face

during the uninstallation/reinstallation, what most likely happened is msxml parser got borked along the way

here's what you need to do next time you get the chance so we can fix this quickly, and do not get demoralized if it doesnt work, take comfort in knowing that very soon everything will be as it was, i promise.

just be patient and hang in there, baby steps, Always.

go to your add/remove programs or equivalent, look for msxml 6, if it is there, uninstall it, and try reinstalling the toolset, i am assuming the installer is coughing during the xml parser if you are using xp sp3

try that - if it doesnt work, there is a handful of other things that can be done, it's okay

i have subscribed to this topic, let me know what happens

also, i will tell you how to "avoid" the connect to database error for the future, it is a very simple issue of the "sqql" service not starting, or hanging, that service is required for the "initial login", its a 3 second fix, just relax itll be fine, i await your reply

Thank you so much for your response! <3

I found that msxml and uninstalled it, then attempted to install toolset again, but sadly had no luck. SQL install still failed at the same point as it has been :sad:

Thank you so much for your response! <3

I found that msxml and uninstalled it, then attempted to install toolset again, but sadly had no luck. SQL install still failed at the same point as it has been :sad:

Let me know if you get it working again. I made a builder to builder file for you for that scene we talked about earlier this week. ;)

ohhhhhhhhhhhh

do this

start menu>run

type "services.msc" without quotes

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_eDFSZ9OcaOA/TABGa9tDYNI/AAAAAAAAAxA/Y9FgREfMlVc/startrunservice.jpg

when the services panel appears, organize them by alphabetical order

goto SQL SERVER (sql express), right click, Start

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_eDFSZ9OcaOA/TABGa_S_LBI/AAAAAAAAAxE/Ret1FRcI3qE/start_msdogpuke.jpg

give it a second or two, once you confirm service is "started", exit out

try reinstall!

I looked at the services list but for some reason I could not find that exact item on the list... I tried starting one similar to it but all I got was a message saying it started then stopped and installation still fails :sad:

hey thats probably what our issue is then, isnt it, in fact not finding that service is in a way good news ;D

my issue was the xml parser, which took me nearly an entire afternoon to figure out, your issue seems ideal, simply missing sql, which is an insta-fix!

i checked your initial post, and instead of sql 2008, lets do 2005, shall we?

before anything, make sure you remove it from add/remove programs just to be safe, although chances are its not there if its not listed within services.msc panel, lets check anyway (just to be safe)

after that its time to kick some arse

get yourself a copy of sql 2005 express from microsoft's site (<--linked), get the version highlighted in puke-green

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_eDFSZ9OcaOA/TAG6lC6B2YI/AAAAAAAAAxM/1mhWSImpPsI/ms_puke.jpg

once you download it and run the installer, don't worry about the options, using the defaults for all should be perfectly fine, just click next>next>next>next

you may be asked to reboot afterwords, do it regardless (just to be safe)

now, just to create a little excitement (not required you can run the installer right away, skip this part if you want to), run services.msc again, and you should see sql service now, yeah?

run the installer, and enjoy your toolset once again ;]

and if for Any reason it still doesnt work, i say again do not worry, there is still a few more options we can do, but i have a good feeling about this :]

we'll get it to work no matter what

any luck?

more errors?

forest fires?

anything?

a sign of hope or some sort of update with some good news after the initial heart-breaking post would be nice. i dont know, i just picture losing my toolset and its a bit terrifying.

no worries, just hopin all is good

A while back I posted instructions on installing the toolset with a standalone sql express 2008 install, since some folks have better luck getting 2008 working than 2005. Something to try if you are still having problems...

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=177587&st=0&p=1616852&&do=findComment&comment=1616852