Long Time Oblivion Fan Wanting to get into Morrowind

Megatarius

Sorry if this has been done before. I literally never look at the Morrowind sections, because I don't play it.

Until now, perhaps.

I'm one of those people that thinks vanilla Oblivion is really bad, cheap, and rushed, but with the right mods it can be awesome.

From what I know of Morrowind, Oblivion is missing a lot of things that were standard in Morrowind.

I've been thinking about getting a console version of Morrowind, so I can just relax on my couch and unwind with the game, rather than get really into modding and get all stressed about it like I do with Oblivion.

EDIT: Turns out I'm getting the PC version after all. I thought it was out for PS2, but it's not.

So what are the mods that are most recommended for the PC version of the game, and why?

Also:

1. What are the battles like in the game? Does it have battle music that plays for every little rat and mudcrab? Does it have the same stupid wolf attack you randomly over and over again? I know the combat is more "dice roll" based. Does this really suck, or is it cool in its own way?

2. What are the clothes like? I like clothing mods for Oblivion, and I made a few myself in Blender. Are there scanty outfits, or it is all pretty conservative? Is there a wide variety of armor meshes and textures, or does it all look pretty much the same after a while? There's a mod for Oblivion that makes guards hassle you if you have an empty upper or lower body slot. Does this happen in Morrowind? I thought it was lame that you could just walk around naked in Oblivion.

3. Does it level with you? From what I've heard it doesn't. This is the worst part of Oblivion, and I would like to avoid it here.

Thanks for reading. :happy:

1. It's totally different from oblivion, so if you liked defending with your right mouse button and power attacks you'll get disappointed. If you like spears, crossbows and throwing daggers/stars you got a few extras

2. They are nice for a game at that time, maybe a bit ugly on high resolutions. Basically you have the same set of armors in morrowind but with a few extras. Actually, if you walk naked in morrowind some people will refuse to talk to yo. (and it's vanilla.) if you're wounded they'll say that as well.

3. Nope, that was a nice feature in morrowind, if you would walk around the corner you could get killed. So when you are killed at a certain place within seconds, don't try to re-do it until you're stronger as you can encounter overpowered creatures/characters. However, lol, keep in mind it's easier to get killed in the game in general, especially in the beginning. (far more than oblivion.).

4. I would say yes as the console version doesn't have the countless of awesome mods and the ability to create them yourself (although steam doesn't include the CS, which is a pain for those people). And not to mention the graphics mod that make it feel you're not in a game from 8 years ago. Still if you're open minded you wouldn't loose to much.

I'd say to take a look at Morrowind 2009 and/or this one to get a few of the essential mods that enhance the quality of the game.

A little note as you're moving from oblivion to morrowind. Unless you've got the Goty edition which adds a few nice things(tribunal), things might be difficult to do at start. As you're quit dropped into the world. There are no quest markers and sometimes you can loose hours and hours. Some find that fun, other not. You've really got to follow instructions given by the NPC or quests or otherwise you can find it very difficult to complete it. Some quest literally say "Go to the North East" and it's like a 20 min walk (not mentioning the encounters in between.) If you're getting it and start playing. Talk to as much NPCs as possible. The line 'If you don't ask you'll never learn' is basically a law there. I'm not saying it's all difficult, you're just let loose at things sometimes (about 40%).

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the Lore and find the "morrowind feeling" any morrowind player can talk about.

Hi - if you look on the second page of this section, you'll see a thread titled: "Reinstalling Morrowind" it has some advice you may be interested in that I didn't want to copy and paste again.

to answer your other questions:

1. What are the battles like in the game?

A: yes, it is much more like a dice roll, and alchemy is one of the things that can heavily afect your chances of hitting and being hit and damage. Luck figures highly in many encounters, from battles to conversations and bargaining. Music - I almost always play with no music at all, so I wouldn't know.

2. What are the clothes like?

A: in Morrowind, for a very rare set of encounters it might be better to be naked before initiating conversation if you want a response of anything other than 'get lost'. Other than that, you'll get comments based on how much the NPC likes you. If you install Morrowind Comes Alive and other armor/NPC mods you'll get lots of armor types. Gothic Attire Complete v1-1 will give you a ton of clothing - and you can even find a maid outfit on Wrye's website.

3. Does it level with you?

A: not a bit (that I've noticed) so at level one, you can run into level 20+ bad guys, and various mods affect this a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
So what are the mods that are most recommended for the PC version of the game, and why?

The best mods are mine. :biggrin: No I am just kidding.

In my opinion the best mod is the Pegas Horse Ranch and the Slofs Pegas Ranch Horse Textures because you can ride and train your own horses. Its very good to travel fast and safe. In almost every quest you have to travel somewhere. Now you can ride and the horses are very fast. Its a very good work. Respect to the author for this fantastic work.

If you getting into Morrowind with mods, I highly recommend checking out this guy on youtube. He runs a heavily modded Morrowind let's play with a lot of awesome mods. He's included tutorial videos on installation and a full mod list as well. I suggest watching a few of lastest LP videos to get an idea of what his modded game is like first though.

Hope this helps. :wink:

If you getting into Morrowind with mods, I highly recommend checking out this guy on youtube. He runs a heavily modded Morrowind let's play with a lot of awesome mods. He's included tutorial videos on installation and a full mod list as well. I suggest watching a few of lastest LP videos to get an idea of what his modded game is like first though.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Ah I kinda drifted off and ended up at his LP of his first playthrough of Deus Ex. Now that is awesome. :D

• 4 weeks later...

This is dated in some respects, but remains an excellent list of some of the finest Morrowind mods from a variety of perspectives, including very brief reviews. Note that if the links are no longer completely accurate, each of the mods should be available either through PlanetElderScrolls, or here on TES Nexus. If you have questions about any specific mod, feel free to ask. I've been playing the thing ever since it came out.

In general, Morrowind is a slower, more challenging game. Because many conflicts aren't leveled, you will find it much easier to die, until you get your combat skills raised at the beginning. Word of advice: don't neglect dexterity. In Oblivion it was largely of use to ranged fighters, but it affects the chance to hit on all non-magical combat in Morrowind.

Alchemy is a boon, as someone else noted, but it's difficult to get it going if it's anything less than a minor skill, since it will fail regularly. (It never fails in Oblivion.) Best place it in as a minor or major in Morrowind.

I strongly recommend a mod, any mod, that allows for magickal regeneration over time while awake. This means you don't need to sleep to get back your magicka, and can wait on raising your levels until you do.