Defeating Death

kidwitthafro

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should humanity seek a cure for aging?

Tell me - who wants to live forever ... when even love must die?

Do you still love your parents as it was the case in the days of your childhood? And they - do they still love the grandparents, far from eye far from heart, deported as it is usual today into a frakkin almshouse of the displaced, for they got already their beloved patrimony?

The future holds endless possibilities. Perhaps I can come to love others. Perhaps the way I love my parents will change with my growing understanding of them.

Enlightenment, is one step closer if I have more time to learn, to live. I'll save death for after I understand every fabric of life.

The future holds endless possibilities. Perhaps I can come to love others. Perhaps the way I love my parents will change with my growing understanding of them.

Enlightenment, is one step closer if I have more time to learn, to live. I'll save death for after I understand every fabric of life.

What makes you believe that anybody would be still interested in what you know of life when you're old... in the absense of a common respect by family and society? The'll say: shut up and drop dead, old crock! I bet!

I really don't think mankind should ever think about living forever. So many people out there live through incredible hardship just to survive. If anything, we should focus are attentions on making life better for our children and grandchildren and to stamp out the misery that pervades this Earth today. Isn't that a far more human goal? As for death, I think we should do what we can while in this life, who knows what comes next.

What makes you believe that anybody would be still interested in what you know of life when you're old... in the absense of a common respect by family and society? The'll say: shut up and drop dead, old crock! I bet!

I know of several places where elders are respected. What makes you believe that everybody will be disinterested? and who's to say that my family will disrespect me? i still respect my grandmother...instances as these are not general principles about human nature. it's more about luck if anything. and i'm feeling lucky :thumbsup:

@kidwitthafro

In absence of a personal address (see above), on the web "you" is always to be understood in the 2 pers.plural, okay? My question was thus not directed to a individual who's opinion is anyhow just a social singularity and in so far not representative, but to "us" as networked collective, something of importance we all have to think about, for we're living in a medial world that clearly excludes if not denies old age (as well as being fat).

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_unknownauthor_lady.gif

old age is discriminated against, yes. however it is usually because of the negative connotations that go with it: atrophy, lack of energy, physical and mental problems etc. this is also true with obesity and discrimination. now, i'm not saying that this discrimination is justified, however, if old age was meerly a number, and not associated with excessive apoptosis then perhaps the chances of similar discrimination would be significantly lower. also, who would be the ones discriminating? if this generation eliminated the aging process after 35, then they would be the majority. any discrimination members of the ageless generation would suffer would be outweighed by the innumerable benefits of not only wisdom, but power in numbers.

and for the "you" thing, i didn't take it as an attack on me as an individual, i just used myself as an example. what i meant to say, that ageism in this circumstance would go on a case by case basis. english isn't my first language :wink: