Why is GECK Not Doing what its told!

Ok, So I've been using GECK for awhile now on a Vista computer now using Windows 7. during the 2 periods up until few week ago, I've been getting stacked issues.

Issue 1. Trying for the first time, I decided to follow tutorial based around putting silencers on weapons using Nifscope.Following it by the letter and being not so difficult I was proud to have done it. I saved, loaded GECK and proceeded to add the newly modded G3 Assault Rifle into my custom vault. As I loaded it by modding the current G3 with the new model in the window to edit it. once I selected the new mesh, the gun did not show the silencer nor indicate it on the texture panel that shows the parts of the weapons. I asked the man who created youtube video why its happening and arrogantly said "its should of worked, don't mod if your not pro at it". Ok but Im learning so therefore I won't be good. And he was a noob when he started. He couldn't of known since he was born how to use GECK and Nifscope!... So I left it. But now I want it to work and hence why Im back to asking kindly for someone who might know whats going on. I mentioned my OS just coz I have not used XP for the GECK and my first approach is, is it the OS?

Of course if that question is no then I ask what could be causing this issue. but it's slowly getting worse.

Issue 2. Now having modded weapons, modded objects, new stuff put in. Everything was good for me except something changed. including the G3 mentioned before, textures were working fine. They all loaded. but up until a few weeks ago, I loaded my esp and discovered my modded Vault door, weapons and other objects modded were red? as in the mesh was there but it was red texture. Like the red means error for the texture. It couldn't load it. I had my textures in:

Data/Textures/ChrisPy.

I did not mix it with the game originals. They loaded no probs. but now red on the render screen of the builder, preview and when you change the model. when I went to change the model, I double clicked on the parts in the textures box. It opens a list of the texture sets. I never needed to make a texture set, it always loaded the textures. So I went and worked out the combinations of the confusing list of parts by mixing and matching the textures I built in the texture sets. IT Worked! the textures were back on the stuff, one problem. The signs you get in the vault. the ruined signs have the words with a yellow background but the render is Green!? the green of the normal vaults eg 101. I made sure its the ruined texture but for some reason is loading a completely different color. the textures only come as they are so I don't understand why its green and not yellow. I thought it might be the "_g.dds" I put under glow in the texture set. I figured the _g ment glow. but when I tried making sign again with few more other objects doing the same, the same issue occurs now.

Issue 3. The sign and other objects I trying to edit are now malfunctioning. everytime I do a certain thing eg to create my sign again to test my glow theory, I find a current sign and right click and edit. Goto edit to change the model. select the model, GECK Stops Resonding and then crashes. Any clothing, I try to touch or change the armor "biped model list" the GECK crashes... pretty much alot of the stuff a try to do now crashes. Again is it Windows 7?

I hope I can get some help. Please if you need more info just tell what you wanna know and Ill get it for you.

I found texturesets to be essential for Fallout 3. They eliminate unnecessary replication of meshes, for one. Consequently, they reduce the total file size of the mod.

You are experimenting with theories about what you are doing, which is inquisitive and healthy when seeking to understand how things work, and you must inevitably mess things up because you don't yet know what you are doing. So the GECK is probably doing what it is told, just not what you want it to do.

I always recommend frequent back up .esp files, kept archived by date, so that you can sever the debris of experimentation when making a mod. Reloading an eariler version from a time when things still worked may lose you a few days but save you a few weeks worth of effort.

I found texturesets to be essential for Fallout 3. They eliminate unnecessary replication of meshes, for one. Consequently, they reduce the total file size of the mod.

You are experimenting with theories about what you are doing, which is inquisitive and healthy when seeking to understand how things work, and you must inevitably mess things up because you don't yet know what you are doing. So the GECK is probably doing what it is told, just not what you want it to do.

I always recommend frequent back up .esp files, kept archived by date, so that you can sever the debris of experimentation when making a mod. Reloading an eariler version from a time when things still worked may lose you a few days but save you a few weeks worth of effort.

Ok cool, fair enough. It is annoying to put time into working out the correct parts with the correct textures as you only at times get numbers for the part name and not like "Body" or "Nozzle" as an example. So I shall continue to use texture sets. But the question remains for that issue which is now not really an issue, Why did it load the textures without texture sets and why did it suddenly decide not to load it without texture sets? Also why my Signs dont show correct color? Plus the other issues...

But also, alot of the objects don't have texture sets, why does it load them but not my ones?

Edit for issue 2 about Signs and issue 3:

Ok I've got a picture here of my green issue on the signs. the third issue is my cafe sign that seems to failed and shutdown GECK, the picture is my Equipment Room sign and it loaded with no fuss. Not sure why its having issues with Cafe sign :mellow:

Fallout 3 is dynamical unstable. Methods that worked for modding Morrowind or Oblivion may work with FO3. but not work very well. I strive for stability over familiarity of method. Rather than try to explain why a method failed, I bypass it and I look for one that works. It is not a genius approach, but it is pragmatic.

Fallout 3 is dynamical unstable. Methods that worked for modding Morrowind or Oblivion may work with FO3. but not work very well. I strive for stability over familiarity of method. Rather than try to explain why a method failed, I bypass it and I look for one that works. It is not a genius approach, but it is pragmatic.

Its fair to say that but to find something that works requires me to work out the fault to not let it happen again. Its everything it should be yet the sign decides to be whatever it wants to be without nothing in the texture or nifscope coding to enable the certain color. I don't know how to approach it. And I can see that GECK is extremely unstable and using FO3Edit helps with some issues... like the biped models, I can fix that issue in the editor... But the 1 of 3 signs crashing GECK with no reason, and other things crashing. The G3 not registering a suppressor on it yet guns made from scratch or you can download are showing it, not to mention that Im using the exact same programs that the tutorial (as an example) used and showed the gun in GECK with a suppressor. You would expect bugs like that to be looked at anyways. GECK is great fun but useless if it keeps building new errors, complication and crashing its rubbish.

But one thing still remains for me. Is it worth trying GECK and other related programs for editing on XP to stop these errors occurring? could all my issues be because of Vista and currently Windows 7? especially if others can do all the editing in videos and writing and works for them yet errors and crashes occur for me...