Do you young people (defined as being born 1988-Present) have inherent

SpellAndShield

knowledge and ability independent of individual skill?

Some of the best DA modders for example are kids basically 18 or 20 years old...their ability to script and work with the toolset is amazing and they make it appear effortless.

No, it is simply due to the fact that since they have no jobs, few outside concerns, ect that they have the time needed to really learn how to do most of this stuff. The fact that they have had reasonably sophisticated computers around most of their lives, and likely received some exposure to programming in middle/highschool merely helps with this. There is nothing inherent about it, it's all circumstantial.

No, it is simply due to the fact that since they have no jobs, few outside concerns, ect that they have the time needed to really learn how to do most of this stuff. The fact that they have had reasonably sophisticated computers around most of their lives, and likely received some exposure to programming in middle/highschool merely helps with this. There is nothing inherent about it, it's all circumstantial.

Yes, I guess that is obvious. But perhaps what I was getting at was that like with many things, once you pass a certain age things become more...difficult. Computer related stuff would be counted among those more difficult things....

learning about the life force, huh? well some things are just like they are and some things are not. they are more allowing for this things to happen.

so where you go from here on is a choice i leave to you. haha.

learning about the life force, huh?

well it depends what is avaible.

Modding and computer programming are the life force? :confused:

you speak of life force and the decline there of in human form are you not.

what makes a good learner.

that are all the things you ask.

you cannot understand that if you dont understand what makes a good life and that has to do with what energy is avaible now has it not.

if there is no ressources avaible you learn this already in the material world then i cannot learn i cannot eat i cannot do nothing so you ask where does this come from.

i am giving you the answer in you. nothing more. and that is life force. wanna ignore that then that is not my world and you can play alot in assumptions rather then looking what is there.

all it takes is look at the facts.

and that is there is alot of life force and it conditions how good you learn among other things. *shrug*

im not telling anything special new or alien. :teehee:

Disagreed, esp. by means of own experiences as freelancer for Gas Powered Games at the age of 15-18. Retrospectively seen both schooltime and following studies (interrupted here by military service) are indeed a job, a mental one, or working actually would mean learning nothing new but repeating the already known for money until retirement.

Inherence in the matter is thus already given by the fact that only the youth has the ability to absorb special knowledge (important or not doesn't matter) within a short time like a sponge and to develop mushrooming stuff of perhaps just temporarily common interest, the brain of elder people can't, for it has turned to superficiality caused by a necessary and time-consuming social broadband lifestyle (job, family, hobby, society on its different stages etc.) and ... is consequently almost full if one is no candidate for a Nobel Prize, or otherwise we'd better introduce schooltime first after retirement. The interesting fact of mental supremacy of youth over adulthood concerning learning new things isn't that new, for it was ever the case, only the object of juvenile interest has logically changed over the ages - for the generation of my parents, the 68er, it was e.g. politicizing on a high level... ad nauseam.

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

I am in agreement with Vagrant0 on this. It is circumstantial, not inherent. I am certainly no longer young, being 49 years old, but having set aside some time in my busy life (work and being a carer for elderly parents is a time sink),I recently made myself learn how to upgrade my own site and to correct SQL errors as they arose. This has led me to think "I must call up my local college and see if they have any evening classes in SQL for beginners..." so that I can maybe learn to stop the errors happening in the first place. Indeed, the job that I do, working delivering a Government Welfare to Work programme, is often dependent on getting my customers to learn new skills. These customers have been out of work for at least a year, can be any age from 19 to 65. And one of the most inspiring things I can see is when I get an older guy who started by breaking down in tears and confessing that he never learned to read and write, coming to me a few weeks later waving his literacy and numeracy diplomas in one hand and a job offer in the other. I've had that happen - no-one bothered with this guy when he was young, he acted like an ass in class because he was labeled as thick as a youth, but in middle age, with my encouragement, he has believed in himself at last and done it.

I don't want to repeat myself, but I get the strange impression here as if over the years the remembrance of the own youth is already lost. The privilege of "the old", so it seems.

The only circumstance is the youth as such, the rest - the ability to learn fast - is inherent, not vice versa.

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

Your impressions are quite wrong and remember, you will be "old" eventually. You may well find out, as I have, that it can be fun! I can certainly remember my own schooldays and even pre-school days, as I am sure the other older hands on here can. And even in older people with dementia (which my mother has, hence me being a carer for her), the long term memory is often excellent. I myself know for a fact that there is no reason that older people cannot learn things as quickly as younger folks, especially where IT is concerned. In the current economic climate where there is no such thing as a job for life, I have been made redundant numerous times over the last quarter century and had to find other work. Since the type of work I do has always been office based, it has necessitated using new computer programmes and systems and hitting the ground running. I have had no choice but to learn fast, and as I approach the big 50, it doesn't get more difficult. If anything, I am more patient and pragmatic now.

And look at the age of some of the members of the modding and gaming community on here - a lot of them into their forties and fifties and beyond. And they have still got it!