Planetary Interaction

samroski

I managed to set up a couple of command centres on a barren and a storm planet a few hours after PI went active.

Low expectations help- as there were some options to play with- and it was quite satisfying to route the raw materials through storage facilities to the factories. Strange but true.

Not sure if I have managed to set up efficient links, or whether I selected the right resources using the right installations on the right planet in the right system. Will let the information imbibe in rather than actively go searching for it.

My first setup on the barren planet:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d6wp5h.jpg

And the 2nd one on the storm planet:

http://i46.tinypic.com/4r9ovc.jpg

Edit: getting images to work

The Command Centres are the only thing you need to buy- these range from 100k to 7 million depending on your CC Upgrades skill level. Better CCs have more CPU and power- and thus you can have more installations online.

You take the CC in your hold (500m3) and deploy it on the planet. The CC then builds everything else you need- you select the installation from a list and place it where you want to. Each installation costs money- which is negligible- certainly less than a million for most buildings, probably less, but I was not paying too much attention.

How much profit is a difficult question to answer. I had very low expectations from PI and purposely avoided all the hype and information available about it. Once it was available in the game (and I was making a killing selling the skills and the command centres) I decided to fool around with it. Thus I have ended up making biofuel and water and toxic metals and other stuff that I have little idea what to do with.

It does appear that I am extracting 3 times more ore in the new 0.2 planet, as compared to the first two 0.7 planets. As usual you ideally need to set up in null to reap max profits :)

There are of course (this being Eve) 2 or 3 different levels of products you can produce- and you can choose to sell your mined/extracted stuff unrefined. NPC market orders still exist for about half the things I am producing- which totally throws one off. They will disappear at CCP's whim, a long time after which the price will settle (as people have hoarded in advance).

Corps in null/low love PI (I think) as they are producing their own POS fuel now.

As usual the options are tremendous: 7 types of planets, all with 4 or 5 extractable ores, different processors with blueprints installed for multiple products. A .pdf is worth a thousand words. Forum thread for the .pdf. And forum thread for a PI Planner.

People think of PI as passive income, but there is a fair bit of management required. Not much brains once you have everything set up, but lots of clicks. This can be done remotely, based on a skill. You can select the frequency with which you want to update your installations. Every 5 hours is best for profits. Every 23 hours is ok. If you select every 4 days then your extraction rate is slightly better than 23 hours.