Adding more music?

ylle

Is it possible to add more music to the game, while still retaining the old tracks?

I'm thinking about expanding the dungeon soundtrack, but I'm actually quite fond of the original tracks.

Oh and would it be possible to have the Imperial city have it's own music?

Adding custom music to Oblivion is actually simple to do:

1) Make sure the custom music you want to put into Oblivion is MP3 File Format.

2) Go to you Oblivion Data folder and from there, go into "Music".

3) Now you'll see five sub-folders: "Battle" (for combat music), "Dungeon" (for dungeon music), "Explore" (for places like the wilderness and out in the open), "Public" (when in towns) and "Special" (contains the title music, level up music and music played upon your death).

4) Simply plop the MP3 you want to add into the folder you want (example: You want the add custom music to dungeons. Put the MP3 into the dungeon folder).

5) That's all there is do it. You can go into your game and enjoy your custom music. Since you have the vanilla music too, it might not play straight away as the tracks play randomly. But it should appear sooner or later.

I hope it works out for you. :smile:

not entirely right, youre missing one thing..

You have to rename the MP3 to:

FOR OPEN WORLD MUSIC "Explore"

name the soundtrack atmosphere_[a Number] - could be atmosphere_10, then the custom track would play after the 9 vanilla ones, or you could put it in front, by naming it atmosphere_01, then renaming the others, to having a higher number (vanilla 01->02, vanilla 02->03 and so on)

FOR DUNGEON MUSIC "Dungeon"

name the soundtrack dungeon_[a Number] Do the same as above if you want it to be played before, or after the vanilla ones

FOR BATTLE MUSIC "Battle"

name the soundtrack battle_[a Number] Do the same as above if you want it to be played before, or after the vanilla ones

FOR CITY / HOUSE MUSIC "Public"

name the soundtrack town_[a Number] Do the same as above if you want it to be played before, or after the vanilla ones

Note that if you dont do the renaming, the soundtrack will not be played.

and for the Imperial City question - No, not unless if you use a mod.

( I havnt heard of any - maybe because I havnt searched for any..)

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate them.

Well I meant making one. I've made so many minor tweakmods now I might aswell try my hand at a 'real' one.

Well I meant making one. I've made so many minor tweakmods now I might aswell try my hand at a 'real' one.

as far as I know, youre gonna need some kind of script to play specific music in specific areas, but Im not sure, you should check around on the web - or maybe some dude will drop by this topic and answer you correctly

not entirely right, youre missing one thing..

You have to rename the MP3 to:

FOR OPEN WORLD MUSIC "Explore"

name the soundtrack atmosphere_[a Number] - could be atmosphere_10, then the custom track would play after the 9 vanilla ones, or you could put it in front, by naming it atmosphere_01, then renaming the others, to having a higher number (vanilla 01->02, vanilla 02->03 and so on)

FOR DUNGEON MUSIC "Dungeon"

name the soundtrack dungeon_[a Number] Do the same as above if you want it to be played before, or after the vanilla ones

FOR BATTLE MUSIC "Battle"

name the soundtrack battle_[a Number] Do the same as above if you want it to be played before, or after the vanilla ones

FOR CITY / HOUSE MUSIC "Public"

name the soundtrack town_[a Number] Do the same as above if you want it to be played before, or after the vanilla ones

Note that if you dont do the renaming, the soundtrack will not be played.

( I havnt heard of any - maybe because I havnt searched for any..)

Thanks tpower for the very interesting info on the naming convention to get the music playing in some order instead of randomly. I never knew this and i've been adding music in my games since MORROWIND.

Quick question, how do you add/change Main title music???

I haven't tried it myself, but my guess would be doing the same as mentioned above. Get your MP3, put it in the special folder, rename it the same as the main title music (I think it's tes4title but I could be wrong) and it should play your MP3.