"script command string_var not found"

nayrbnayrb

Hi All,

I'm trying to make some small changes to Oblivion XP, and I'm running into what feels like a dependency or OBSE issue.

I wanted to try making a couple of changes to how points are allocated on level up*, but when I load Oblivion XP into TESCS, and try to save a script, I keep getting

"script command string_var not found" errors.

I'm sure it's a noob error, and it feels like I'm missing a dependency (or OBSE) somewhere, but everything I've tried has come to naught.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what to try to fix the error "script command string_var not found".

Thx,

-Nayrbnayrb

Hi All,

I'm trying to make some small changes to Oblivion XP, and I'm running into what feels like a dependency or OBSE issue.

I wanted to try making a couple of changes to how points are allocated on level up*, but when I load Oblivion XP into TESCS, and try to save a script, I keep getting

"script command string_var not found" errors.

I'm sure it's a noob error, and it feels like I'm missing a dependency (or OBSE) somewhere, but everything I've tried has come to naught.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what to try to fix the error "script command string_var not found".

Thx,

-Nayrbnayrb

Launch the construction set with OBSE:

From The Edges of Existence :

"How do I launch the Construction Set and OBSE?

Just like the previous step you will want to create a shortcut to obse_loader.exe, but this time we need to make a change after creating it. Right-Click on the new shortcut and choose Properties. When the Properties window opens look at the Shortcut tab. Find the line that says "Target:". Change the end of the line to add " -editor" (no quotes). It should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\obse_loader.exe" -editor

Click OK and you're done. This shortcut will now load OBSE and launch the CS."

Launch the construction set with OBSE:

From The Edges of Existence :

"How do I launch the Construction Set and OBSE?

Just like the previous step you will want to create a shortcut to obse_loader.exe, but this time we need to make a change after creating it. Right-Click on the new shortcut and choose Properties. When the Properties window opens look at the Shortcut tab. Find the line that says "Target:". Change the end of the line to add " -editor" (no quotes). It should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\obse_loader.exe" -editor

Click OK and you're done. This shortcut will now load OBSE and launch the CS."

Awesome. Thanks Shadowfen for the quick and helpful suggestion. :D For those who come after, I'll detail the rest of the steps I took:

I created and changed a shortcut as above, and I was getting the error "couldn't inject dll" when I tried to run it. Searching for that error message on-line, I found the source code:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AV_D61pMGSQJ:www.qwerty-games.com/viewvc/OblivionReborn/obse/loader/main.cpp%3Frevision%3D2%26view%3Dmarkup+obse+loader+%22couldn%27t+inject+dll%22+editor&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

which after updating my OBSE (from 17 to 18), and opening the obse_readme.txt, suggested I run it in a command window, just typing in obse_loader.exe -editor in the Oblivion directory.

Doing this, I got the error: CreateRemoteThread failed (5), which suggested it was something wrong with multithreading, or perhaps a multi-processor issue. (I had previously fixed with System Shock 2 by only having it run on one CPU, but it crashed too soon for that to work here.) So, I ran it in Windows 95 compatibility mode, and I was able to run the editor with OBSE enabled and was able to save the scripts. Once I get out of the sewers, I'll let you guys know how the res of the modding goes.

Thanks!

-Nayrbnayrb :D

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...