Please help a n00b modder?

Meatbomb

Hello,

I am just dipping my toe into modding, trying to learn as I go... I really hope some of you expert folk will take a moment to advise me here.

1. Is this the right forum to ask for modding advice? Is there a better place elsewhere?

2. OK, so I dropped a nuka-cola machine into a player house mod that didn't have one before. In GECK it looked fine. In game, for some reason, it was super-low quality texture. Everything else in the room was fine, but this one element I had added was not. The texture wasn't incorrect, it was a nuka machine, but it seems like it was a lower quality texture file, like what would be loaded if the thing was really far away or something. Any advice as to what I was maybe doing wrong here?

3. Trying to learn to mod themes. Looking at original files I see the "xMarker" that controls items that are inserted when purchasing themes, equipment, etc. But I cannot see in GECK how to insert my own xMarker into an area that doesn't already have one... it is not an item on the objects list. How to do this? Is maybe GECK the wrong tool, should I be doing this in FO3edit?

4. Is it possible to also remove items using the themes / xMarkers? So for example, say I want a primitive matress to start, and then when buying a theme the mattress is removed and a nicer bed is put into its place. Can the xMarker trigger an item to go away?

Thank you very much in advance fofr any help you can offer. And apologies if this is asking too much, or is not in the proper place in these forums.

3. For themes I don't think you want to use xmarkers to 'place' them. You want to place everything required for all themes, and have them all marked as initially disabled. Then use different xmarkers as their enable parent. So maybe you have 3 different themes - Raider, Nuka Cola, and Enclave. Create one xmarker for each, also initially disabled. Set all your enclave furniture to have the enclave xmarker as its enable parent. Then when you purchase the enclave theme, enable the enclave xmarker and all your enclave furniture will also be enabled.

4. Use the same idea for this. you would disabled "PrimitiveEnclaveMarker" and enable "HighClassEnclaveMarker"

Thank you much Quetzlsacatanango for your willingness to help here!

Yes, I understand that I am not "placing" the items with the xMarker, just triggering the appearance of them. My question is a little more noobish, I guess :) How exactly do I insert an xMarker into an interior space? I see for example in Megaton House, there are 8 or so xMarkers there, all controlling the appearance of the various possible purchases. When I load up an interior cell that I am modding, that doesn't already have any xMarkers I do not see how I place my own new one. How exactly do I stick an xMarker in?

Highlight an XMarker that is already in the same cell where you want to add one. Select Copy Render ( Ctrl+C) from the Edit pulldown menu. Reorient your camera position to a spot directly over the place where you want a new marker. Select Paste Render ( Ctrl+V ) from the Edit pulldown. Press the F key to drop your new XMarker to a position resting on the collision plane beneath it.

• 2 weeks later...