I no longer can start Oblivion...

tisten

Hey everyone, some help would be appreciated.

My problem

When I try to start oblivion (with either OBSE launcher or regular launch icon) the game crashes. Since these problems began I've only been able to start Oblivion 2 times, which is strange, cause nothing had changed with the times the game crashed. Generally nothing happens and the crash is immediate. Only when I've freshly restarted my PC and launch Oblivion, I for a few seconds get to the see the "Beth-soft Zenimax" movie and then BOOM crash.

Game-version

I'm running the latest Oblivion version with Knights of the Nine and Shiv. Isles, with the required "unofficial patches".

Mods?

I have a lot, really a lot. But the build was fine. Most mods are simply extra armours or weapons. The really influential mods are:

- OOO

- xUL (I think cause it visibly alters a lot of the world

- OBMM

Recently I added a few new mods, the biggest being:

- Enhanced Economy

- OBSE (cause it was required for the above)

So far everything still works fine as ever, no problems, no crashes whatsoever.

When it went wrong

Then I installed the fine looking mod "CM fireflies combined companions" and to fully use it I also installed - as recommended by it - Enhanced Daedric Invasion, caslte Hoarfrost, Castle Dunkerlore and 2 more mods by Firefly.

I start Oblivion... everything works. Now I go to sleep, next day I'm thinking, time to play a bit more... and the game crashes.

What I don't understand is why? The mods at first worked fine, no significant problems whatsoever etc. So I'm at a totall loss as to what is wrong, moreover, turning of the last installed mods didn't change anything, the game still proved unable to start. The problem has proven to be recurrent and I really don't know what to do...

Can anyone tell me what is wrong here?

Thx

Hi!

You may first want to try installing Oblivion Crash Prevention System. This generally solves some crash problems.

After this, you may wish to run Wrye Bash and check for errors. Probably there will be conflicts with mods and Wrye Bash will be able to tell you which mod gives errors.

Which OBSE version are you currently running?

Tell us further details about this if it still crashes. The Wrye Bash error report would be useful.

Hi!

You may first want to try installing Oblivion Crash Prevention System. This generally solves some crash problems.

After this, you may wish to run Wrye Bash and check for errors. Probably there will be conflicts with mods and Wrye Bash will be able to tell you which mod gives errors.

Which OBSE version are you currently running?

Tell us further details about this if it still crashes. The Wrye Bash error report would be useful.

EDIT: hold on! Though Wryebash gave me a green on everything, the game still crashes. It does startup everytime now but crashes halfway.

I've found the solution to the original problem, only to discover that solving it brought me a new one.

Apparently the CM partners mod was missing, installing meant that I had an apparent green on everything though upon launching Oblivion I still got a crash. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the loading order? Could that be correct?

That would also mean my problem is basically solved as far as this topic is concerned and that I can start sorting out the issue at hand?

Ok, to solve 99% of the sorting problems there is a program called BOSS. Be sure to grab both the executable and the latest masterlist update (they are on the same download page).

When you start BOSS (you can run it from inside Wrye Bash, there is a button to the bottom left) it will sort every mod you have to the correct loading order.

If you still have problems, Wrye Bash has a "Mod Checker" function, that is near the BOSS button, bottom left. It will list missing files and other errors. Remember this, because it is a really useful function.

Unfortunately Oblivion may be a bit hard at the beginning with mods, because there are many things to watch out, but don't worry! There are just a few recurring problems that you will avoid quickly in the future, don't get discouraged :)

Missing masters (.esm files) can certainly cause crashes.

If the other advice you have been given doesn't work, you might want to try systematically deactivating your mods by halves until you can isolate the mod which is causing your problems.