A question for the hardcore fallout 1&2 fans

Nadin

I'm just curious about this, but what are you complaining about? I've bought the previous fallout and had to stop playing them halfway through out of exasperation. As I see it, betheseda drastically improved the game. Yes, the plot isn't half as good as the previous two, and it doesn't feel the same, but look at it this way: you have real-time OR turn-based combat, two (Relatively!) stable, powerful, and user-friendly SDKs, serious graphical improvements, the option to change between first-and-third person, and plenty more. I cannot stand RPG's, but I realize there's just enough of it in this game to make it fun without making it irritating. Furthermore, I realize that if someone wanted to, they could play it as a solid RPG. So, as stated, what's the whining about?

They are just irritated its not like it has been over the years.Some take it too personal. Allot of people don't like change, for example my mother use to hate 3D adventures and preferred 2D drawn ones. It took her a few years but shes alright with it now.

Beth hasn't 'ruined' their game imo, it was just time to evolve and go with whats hot right now. Personally I do not know any gamers at all that like Turn Based with top view. I'm guessing allot of them where hoping for the same thing again, forgetting that game studios need to focus on the stuff thats selling today. Especially in these hard times. See how thers only one franchise giving out Turn based with in their neck the loads of FPS and third person action they have to deal with.

What sells ? Stuff that looks great and usually has FPS in it. And game reviewers would have said it was 'just more of the same thing' if they would have gone the F2 road. You can't make big bucks on that and you'll be addressing the same audience jet again. Its important to get to as much people as possible to provide a nice cash flow for the studio to survive.

Personally I had been chewing on Oblivion for a long time, hoping Beth would tackle Fallout since the TES world/lore isn't my thing but the gameplay was great.And the fack that you could change so much was awesome.

People just can't imagine how happy I was when they actually did it. Live action, moddable and Oblivion engine, hell yes !

Lessee... storytelling. Atmosphere and ambience. Actual roleplaying - SPECIAL mattered. If you played a character with Intelligence 2, it was reflected in the world. Turn-based combat! VATS is not turn-based, don't let anyone tell you it is.

Yes, it's a different game. It's not about reflexes, but more about planning and tactics. No, the kids today don't have the attention span for it. Yes, it was better.

I concede storytelling, atmosphere, and ambiance. And special, for that matter. I hadn't though of that. But VATS is basically turn-based. I've done both, and the only difference is that you have to manually re-activate after your AP have recharged. Furthermore, I can't stand turn-based because it's simple arithmetic. It requires NO skill at anything beyond addition and statistic.

But I see the problem now. Thank you once again.

I played some FO1 and 2. All I can say is this. They use freaking powerfists as kid gloves... And when they come of it picks up dual bazookas. It is a harsh, unforgiving world full of stark choices, unique characters (many of whom don't have the advantage of faces or audio, just a name tag and text) and cool weapons. I also like Fallout 3, but the weapon selection is poo, arefu can *ban me* off as far as characters are concerned (there aren't any... bastards.), the difficulty is low even on very hard and the choices all go X Y or Z and X is do good, Y is murder and use skull as hat and Z is "give me money". I mean sure I like it but the limitations of *everyone* having to have audio meant that you can't have 100 very unique characters because that'd cost too much in big name voice actors...

Lessee... storytelling. Atmosphere and ambience. Actual roleplaying - SPECIAL mattered. If you played a character with Intelligence 2, it was reflected in the world. Turn-based combat! VATS is not turn-based, don't let anyone tell you it is.

Yes, it's a different game. It's not about reflexes, but more about planning and tactics. No, the kids today don't have the attention span for it. Yes, it was better.

Ha, tx for sharing ^^

good point on the SPECIAL thing, I guess if you take Int 2 now you can just cirk it up while leveling. you'll miss some perks but eh .

I have a double feeling about turn based. I DO like it in F1 and F2 (who I am trying to complete atm, but F3 is calling my name especially with a new g-card now lol) but I like the live action and the VATS system in F3 more.

kids don't want to read anymore ... somehow F3 might have been a richer world if they had more thought out dialog and perked in on the spoken stuff. The RP people would not mind, the bigger 'FPS'/action gamer crowd however ...

Lt Albrecht, I also agree with your points btw.