Question about the Ashes

Utotri

I was playing a beautiful Dalish elven mage and unfortunately she became ill with this taint. Duncan promised me a cure but the curse is not gone, it's simply less deadly now. I still need a cure. So I come to Lothering and there is this dumb knight who is searching for some ashes of Andraste that would cure anything supposedly. I thought it would be quite the RP move to follow the trail. Some hours of play later I obtain the ashes and it would only be logical to apply the ashes to myself to rid myself of the taint. Why should I care about Arl Eamon? Loghain is already busy trying to fight the Blight and given his history there is no clear reason why I should doubt his ability. The game will not let me take this route. Although I understand why the game is set up like this, I think it is a huge mistake. It breaks the immersion when I, as a Dalish, have to use these ashes for some human lord I can't care about when I could really use them myself. And it's not as if I need those Redcliffe knights when I can have the power of dwarves, elves and mages.

There are also other origins where using the ashes for curing the taint would be a plausible RP decision. I would like to hear what others think about this.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing a beautiful Dalish elven mage and unfortunately she became ill with this taint. Duncan promised me a cure but the curse is not gone, it's simply less deadly now.

Your character is fine. You just played the Dalish elf origin story. By becoming a Grey Warden, she's alive because she is the main character of your game. As far as your questions, the game is linear. You have to do task A to get to point B. You have choices with conversations and the final end result in the epilogue BUT, you still have to do the quests the way the game is set up or you'll just hang in Ferelden and not actually finish the game. It's fun to see you're really caught up in your character and the game though!

I understand these arguments you bring forth, but I feel they are too simple. The game is linear, yes, but it does offer choices. Here I feel the logical choice is being left out of the game, or at least it is logical to a Dalish elf.

The ashes are needed for Eamon. If this is known, why not take a little bit extra for yourself? Or, if that can't happen, why not let Alistair take ash for Eamon so you can take some for your own illness?

I would also argue that there could have been an alternative to Arl Eamon. In fact, one alternative is quite obvious. Let Eamon die. Connor is Eamon's heir, so his matter must still be settled, and after his demonic episode he would let Isolde rule as a regent until he is old enough. Isolde would probably rely on Teagan and he is already against Loghain, so saving Eamon seems unnecessary then. As far as the Wardens themselves are necessary, well there is still Alistair/Loghain, so the archdemon still dies as it should.

And yes, I am caught up in the game. How could I not? It is an RPG, a game geared towards immersion, and it is simply the best game I have ever played except for Planescape: Torment.

I understand these arguments you bring forth, but I feel they are too simple. The game is linear, yes, but it does offer choices. Here I feel the logical choice is being left out of the game, or at least it is logical to a Dalish elf.

The ashes are needed for Eamon. If this is known, why not take a little bit extra for yourself? Or, if that can't happen, why not let Alistair take ash for Eamon so you can take some for your own illness?

I would also argue that there could have been an alternative to Arl Eamon. In fact, one alternative is quite obvious. Let Eamon die. Connor is Eamon's heir, so his matter must still be settled, and after his demonic episode he would let Isolde rule as a regent until he is old enough. Isolde would probably rely on Teagan and he is already against Loghain, so saving Eamon seems unnecessary then. As far as the Wardens themselves are necessary, well there is still Alistair/Loghain, so the archdemon still dies as it should.

And yes, I am caught up in the game. How could I not? It is an RPG, a game geared towards immersion, and it is simply the best game I have ever played except for Planescape: Torment.

Glad to see you are enjoying the game. SaturnC is right, the game is linear, but unlike a lot of RPG's it's also very story driven. Your character to have any impact has to become a Grey Warden which means you have to have the taint. Also, the Ashes cannot cure the taint itself, otherwise the real question is why not use the Ashes on the Archdemon and stop the blight, or use the Ashes to just cure all darkspawn and end the need for Grey Wardens altogether. It's this tainting that helps to drive the story. As for Eamon, you will see a catalistic character in the story that drives you to make certain choices. It's his survival that will lead you to other larger aspects that others cannot. His history with both Loghain and the late king Maric (Caihlen's father) expands the history of the region giving more backstory and setup for the decisions you make at the end. Also for the story apsect he is essential to tie the whole climax together. None of the others you mention (Connor, Teagan, or Isolde) has the power to call the Landsmeet, and this event ties the whole thing together leading to the finale.

If Eamon dies then how would you face Lohgain and his supporters? Eamon is a powerful lord and he would be useful in order to change the leadership and unite Ferelden. As for Connor, he can never be the heir of Redcliffe because he is a mage and he is stripped of rank (standard mage policy in Thedashere is the link for more info), and as for the Dalish Origin, you would survive because of the joiningagain here is the link for more info. When you where save by Duncan, you have suffered the Darkspawn taint and the only way you can stop the taint from spreading is by going through the joining, this is what Duncan meant by the cure for your ailment.

You'll never be able to use the ashes for yourself BUT if you want a storyline twist you can defile the ashes, piss everyone off and get the Reaver Specialization. ;) Also, I would suggest writing your own story for this game. Since we can't change it, we certainly can put pen to paper and make it work out the way we want! There are lots of good Dragon Age fanfics out there! Maybe you might want to consider that also. Sadly, the game must be played the way it was intended with a few twists and curves to make it an excellent RPG! :D

Glad to see you are enjoying the game. SaturnC is right, the game is linear, but unlike a lot of RPG's it's also very story driven. Your character to have any impact has to become a Grey Warden which means you have to have the taint. Also, the Ashes cannot cure the taint itself, otherwise the real question is why not use the Ashes on the Archdemon and stop the blight, or use the Ashes to just cure all darkspawn and end the need for Grey Wardens altogether. It's this tainting that helps to drive the story.

I does not have to be known to others when the protagonist would be stripped of the taint, so it does not have to influence the story too much except at certain points (Ruck, final battle). The party would still be the Warden's party as long as Alistair is there.

The Ashes don't cure the taint you say. This could be, but I don't think it is ever mentioned so how could we know? It would have perhaps been prudent for BioWare to include the option to try and cure the taint with the Ashes and then show that it indeed does not. It would have been more satisfactory than the current state I would say. Perhaps it is the perfect compromise. I will disregard the argument about using the Ashes on the archdemon. The location of the Ashes is unknown in Thedas so it could never have been tested.

As for Eamon, you will see a catalistic character in the story that drives you to make certain choices. It's his survival that will lead you to other larger aspects that others cannot. His history with both Loghain and the late king Maric (Caihlen's father) expands the history of the region giving more backstory and setup for the decisions you make at the end. Also for the story apsect he is essential to tie the whole climax together. None of the others you mention (Connor, Teagan, or Isolde) has the power to call the Landsmeet, and this event ties the whole thing together leading to the finale.

A solid argument. However, I do feel a regent of Redcliffe should have the power to call the Landsmeet when the might of the Dalish, Orzammar and the Circle are at his disposal. It would probably have been too much for BioWare to accomodate though.

If Eamon dies then how would you face Lohgain and his supporters? Eamon is a powerful lord and he would be useful in order to change the leadership and unite Ferelden. As for Connor, he can never be the heir of Redcliffe because he is a mage and he is stripped of rank (standard mage policy in Thedashere is the link for more info),

Connor's affinity for magic is known only by the incrowd. It could very well be hidden for a while for the purpose of retaining stability. Connor would only rule in name, the actual governing would be done by Teagan I would assume. Teagan then would be a powerful regent by virtue of the Warden's allies who support him, the Dalish, Orzammar and the Circle.

and as for the Dalish Origin, you would survive because of the joiningagain here is the link for more info. When you where save by Duncan, you have suffered the Darkspawn taint and the only way you can stop the taint from spreading is by going through the joining, this is what Duncan meant by the cure for your ailment.

I know. The Joining provides no cure though. The taint is still there and to someone who does not care much about the plight of the humans the taint would be more like a punishment and a disease. The taint is not necessary to defeat the blight. I can simply sacrifice Al or Loghain. It would make sense to try and remove the taint then, especially since as a Dalish the whole Warden thing is merely the result of an accident that wasn't your fault.

You'll never be able to use the ashes for yourself BUT if you want a storyline twist you can defile the ashes, piss everyone off and get the Reaver Specialization. ;)

I have heard of that, but it would not make sense RP-wise for my Dalish elf. Sure enough, there will undoubtedly be a playthrough in the future where it will be a valid path to take.

Also, I would suggest writing your own story for this game. Since we can't change it, we certainly can put pen to paper and make it work out the way we want! There are lots of good Dragon Age fanfics out there! Maybe you might want to consider that also. Sadly, the game must be played the way it was intended with a few twists and curves to make it an excellent RPG! :D

Although I rather like the suggestion, I think it would be inadvisable for me to write fanfiction. English is not my mother tongue and it would be very awkward for me to write conversations for instance. I am quite able to write proper English sentences, but many of the nuances are lost to me. It does not help that I am Dutch as well. Dutch is an extremely harsh language and I always have to be very careful how I put things in English because I have heard that it often comes across as very arrogant even when I really am trying to be humble. Of course, writing fanfiction in Dutch would be an option, but it would not be worth it. Most Dutch are able to read English quite well and fantasy simply doesn't translate well into Dutch.

I would like to thank you and the people that have replied so far for their input.

Although I rather like the suggestion, I think it would be inadvisable for me to write fanfiction. English is not my mother tongue and it would be very awkward for me to write conversations for instance. I am quite able to write proper English sentences, but many of the nuances are lost to me. It does not help that I am Dutch as well. Dutch is an extremely harsh language and I always have to be very careful how I put things in English because I have heard that it often comes across as very arrogant even when I really am trying to be humble. Of course, writing fanfiction in Dutch would be an option, but it would not be worth it. Most Dutch are able to read English quite well and fantasy simply doesn't translate well into Dutch.

My b/f is Dutch, I love your language! Write it in your own language. You can always have a friend who speaks English help you. I used to have a very large Dutch following back in my early days as Lady Moiraine's Morrowind. There had been a Morrowind Dutch forum and when they closed, I had many of the members come over to my place. I had so many Dutchies, I had a Dutch board for them to be comfortable sharing in their own language. I do understand how you feel though. But there's nothing wrong in creating backstories for your characters also, you've done that already with your Dalish elf and might not even realised it! ;) I've got over 200 characters I've made so backstories for me is a little out of the question but I love reading about other people's characters. It doesn't have to be huge, even a couple paragraphs will be fun. Just a thought and if you have any other questions, just ask. :)