Why do people hate on dwarves so much?

SpellAndShield

That said, they do acknowledge good fighter when they actually see one. The topsider sword side-quest shows that.

Yeah, they will (begrudgingly) acknowledge a good warrior and that goes for the lot of them, not just the Legion. The part that makes some of us despise them is the fact they think they are so much better than others until proven wrong, whether beaten to a bloody pulp or shown up by martial prowess but they are still arrogant megalomaniacs with huge egos and massive inferiority complexes. Humility is not a trait they are capable of.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part that makes some of us despise them is the fact they think they are so much better than others until proven wrong, whether beaten to a bloody pulp or shown up by martial prowess but they are still arrogant megalomaniacs with huge egos and massive inferiority complexes. Humility is not a trait they are capable of.

This is hardly different from attitude of lot of the players though, isn't it? I mean, even in this thread it pretty much boils down to displeasure that the player's huge ego doesn't get stroked but instead they're "just" like, "you will do".

The part that makes some of us despise them is the fact they think they are so much better than others until proven wrong, whether beaten to a bloody pulp or shown up by martial prowess but they are still arrogant megalomaniacs with huge egos and massive inferiority complexes. Humility is not a trait they are capable of.

Yes, but that's what makes them interesting. How boring would it be if everyone was all "Save us oh mighty warden! We are but worthless insects compared to your awesomeness!"

Besides, there are plenty of arrogant, ungrateful humans in the game too.

That said, they do acknowledge good fighter when they actually see one. The topsider sword side-quest shows that.

Yeah, they will (begrudgingly) acknowledge a good warrior and that goes for the lot of them, not just the Legion. The part that makes some of us despise them is the fact they think they are so much better than others until proven wrong, whether beaten to a bloody pulp or shown up by martial prowess but they are still arrogant megalomaniacs with huge egos and massive inferiority complexes. Humility is not a trait they are capable of.

That really is one huge, sweeping generalisation, don't you think? :whistling:

That really is one huge, sweeping generalisation, don't you think? :whistling:

Perhaps but the ones that statement applies to tend to overwhelm the rest; it's the vocal minority vs. the silent majority thing :wink:

This is hardly different from attitude of lot of the players though, isn't it? I mean, even in this thread it pretty much boils down to displeasure that the player's huge ego doesn't get stroked but instead they're "just" like, "you will do".

I don't really play my characters with a large ego; they would be mortified if everyone bowed down and worshiped them but they would like to be treated with a little common courtesy. My characters get to that final scene where they are supposed to go out and be the hero of Ferelden and wonder if there is a back door to the place so they can sneak out and go find a quiet beach somewhere to relax.

Besides, there are plenty of arrogant, ungrateful humans in the game too.

No argument there (especially if you play an elf) and I hold the same disdain for them as well. The big difference is that we actually get to give more of them a permanent dirt nap than we do with the dwarves so we are able to get our indignation settled at a more satisfying level than we do with the dwarves.

This right here makes me think of a situation down in the deep roads where I've met up with the team of the Dead Legion. Right before entering the darkspawn fortress. Here they've got like, 7-8 guys fighing off a squad of DS and doing "ok" at it. While I'M over on the other side of the bridge WIPING THE FLOOR with 3 much larger groups of them. BY MYSELF, with a lil bit of long-range support.

Can they even admit that we wardens have our DS killing reputations for a reason? Or that I made their fighting skills/abilities look like a pre-schoolers? No. They still stand there acting all high and mighty. All they can say is something to the effect of "not bad" (sorry, its been a while since I played).

Well, two things. One, unlike the player the Death Legion NPCs do their fighting without the 'long-range support', without spells, heals and the heal/mana pots. Two, their commander is a boss level character -- this means even in terms of simple numbers he's objectively stronger, has more hp and can hit harder than the player's own character. So yes, from their point of view the player isn't really anything special and this view is quite justified. Compared to their style of fighting the PC can come across as bit of a sissy, especially if he then throws a tantrum like that when they call it as they see it rather than start kissing his feet for killing a few darkspawns.

Well, considering that many people consider the game too easy, even with the difficulty levels set extremely high, playing SOLO, I would have to say that their boss level leader doesnt matter much. The plain fact is, is that DW Rogues, DW fighters, and AC mages are very powerful combatants. There's no ego in that, its just simple truth. Once you throw in some really good gear to the equation, it becomes difficult to find a satisfactory enemy to fight, save for dragons. And even then in some situations, for some characters, even that isn't that much more of a challenge.

Personally, I agree that seeing them "start kissing his feet for killing a few DS" would be completely wrong. However, when you take out at least 4 times as many by yourself, in the amount of time that it takes to take out a squad that is 1/4 the size of the ones you just finished up, their whole "You did Ok" mentality is annoying.

Besides, its not up to debate. The OP asked for opinions. I just gave one example of mine.

I do however appreciate the view from the other side. And throwing in a voice for the Dwarves was refreshing.

And I think that this may have been mentioned before, but yeah... also from a modders standpoint, their size and uneven physiology makes them a royal pain in the ass sometimes.

Yeah, I have grudging respect for the "Long Fight" that the Dwarves wage agsinst the DS, and the fact that no one else (except the GWs) even acknowledges it. So I can understand their "disdain until proven otherwise" attitude. It's just that they hold onto that attitude well beyond the point where it's vaild. (Not that Humans aren't prone to the same fault!)

I never thought that the Dwarves had a bad attitude. Quite the reverse. The guards you meet treat you with respect, more than you get most places in the game. The common folk mostly treat you with respect as well, with the exception of a couple of merchants. The criminals give you massive ego stroking if you have any ranks in Coercion at all, excepting Jarvia (and you kill her). Warriors who have spent years fighting the Darkspawn treat you well in the tavern, and with respect in the Deep Roads once you prove yourself. Some of your enemies in the Arena fights trash talk, but that goes for any kind of fight. Once you beat them, at least a couple change their tunes.

Bhelen and his second are jerks, but that's their whole reason for being. They have flashing "We're the Bad Guys" signs over their heads, and you have to dig a little to learn that the "Good" Harrowmount wants to continue following policies that will lead to disaster for first the Dwarves and then the Humans. (Remember, Orzamar is the front lines; if they go, the Darkspawn have nothing keeping them in check).

You get sent on erands by the Dwarves, but you're everybody's erand boy in any CRPG. "Take this here, kill that, then talk to me again".

The Dwarves take a lot of pride in their (mostly dead) civilization, but then they should. Their engineering is incredible compared to anything humans have done in Ferelden, and they've survived a war that has lasted something over a thosand years.

Heck, the Provings are full of people who are impressed by your PC.

To see what the Dwarves suffer through is one thing but to see them how they treat each other is another. Sure they suffer a lot but look at how they treat their casteless, it is disgusting and inhumane, which makes it great for a dark fantasy (really I don't know why I use that term but hey...). This is probably the only reason why I play as a dwarf, the fact that I can come back and rub in their faces of all my achievements (I usually play as an elf, don't know why). You have to hand it to the dwarves and their society, without them there will be no Token-fantasy world.

I never thought that the Dwarves had a bad attitude. Quite the reverse. The guards you meet treat you with respect, more than you get most places in the game. The common folk mostly treat you with respect as well, with the exception of a couple of merchants. The criminals give you massive ego stroking if you have any ranks in Coercion at all, excepting Jarvia (and you kill her). Warriors who have spent years fighting the Darkspawn treat you well in the tavern, and with respect in the Deep Roads once you prove yourself. Some of your enemies in the Arena fights trash talk, but that goes for any kind of fight. Once you beat them, at least a couple change their tunes.

Bhelen and his second are jerks, but that's their whole reason for being. They have flashing "We're the Bad Guys" signs over their heads, and you have to dig a little to learn that the "Good" Harrowmount wants to continue following policies that will lead to disaster for first the Dwarves and then the Humans. (Remember, Orzamar is the front lines; if they go, the Darkspawn have nothing keeping them in check).

You get sent on erands by the Dwarves, but you're everybody's erand boy in any CRPG. "Take this here, kill that, then talk to me again".

The Dwarves take a lot of pride in their (mostly dead) civilization, but then they should. Their engineering is incredible compared to anything humans have done in Ferelden, and they've survived a war that has lasted something over a thosand years.

Heck, the Provings are full of people who are impressed by your PC.

Sure, they treat human and elven Wardens with respect, but a dwarf Warden they treat like complete sh*t, whether they be a commoner that got utterly f*cked over and exiled, or a royal that got utterly f*cked over and exiled.