Cutscene Teacher

Aranox

Hello guys,

Since ive been quite capable of making my own models and importing them into the game , making new companions , new area's , etc ... I thought : maybe I should start with making my own cutscenes.

Problem is , im working on a mod with my team and need to learn this pretty quick , now , would there be some kind soul that would want to spend some free time teaching me how to make cutscenes from beginning till the end ?

I know there are tutorials out there , but having a personal teacher makes things so much faster , and makes it possible for me to implement it in my mod :)

Ive already posted this same question on the bioware forums , but it seems as if the guys there really just like the annoy the poo out of people and I thought that the best chance I had was to post something here :)

If you need some convincing about the fact that im willing and able to mod , here are some examples = http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1263

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1380

please , if someone is interested , send me a PM :)

Greetz,

Thomas

PS: lolled @ autofilter ( annoyed the poo xD )

Cutscene --

I am no expert obviously from my work -- I can make cutscenes that function. Crude but it works.

1. First, have the area ready to use. When you launch the cutscene window, you'll be given multiple windows. I use the 2 window left / right split. Works pretty well.

2. Click on the blank area, in the properties area (bottom right corner), add in the area of your cutscene.

3. The 2 windows allow you to set camera views. I generally keep the left window "user" -- this lets you move area of view normally w/o affecting the camera view. The right window, I change it between "active view" or "camera 1, camera 2, etc..". To set the view, just right click on the bar.

4. When you first load an area, you'll notice a green dot and a camera somewhere. You need to move those 2 objects close to the area where the cutscene takes place. It can be a pain dragging it through the terraine but take the time to do it. The camera that you're dragging is also you're default camera 1.

5. Insert a creature. You'll notice the creature is added to the timeline area. If you use an area map filled with creatures already, then just move your camera into position.

6. If you already have creatures loaded on the area, then just right click and activate the object. Take note: You can only activate "unique" creatures. If you have an area filled with genlock emissary, and you use the same creature ID, you will not be able to activate any of them. For example, in my castle cousland mod, I have 4 archers in one of the cutscene. Each of the 4 archers are unique creatures -- not a drag and drop of the same creature.

Moving camera view:

1. To begin working on any object / camera, you will need to set a timeline. I forget the name of this function, but the function is set using the key "k". For example, if you moved your camera into the starting position -- for the editor to register this is where you start, you need to push "K". It will drop a column of boxes (these boxes alter camera view, pitch, roll, etc... and sets a starting point).

2. Once you have used "K" to set a starting point, advance the timeline a bit, move the camera to another position and set another "K". This marks a transition. You can then select the both sets of columns and choose 'linear', 'step', 'and something else'. Anyways, this is how the camera will move around. Linear will move the camera to the location smoothly. Step will jump the camera. Play with it.

Creatures:

1. To animate a creature, you need to select your creature and push "k" to set a starting point.

2. Then you need hit "T" i think... which adds a timeline. A timeline box will be added to the creature on the property area. A timeline lets you add 'functions' such as animation, draw weapons, etc... Very important to add a timeline.

3. Once you add a timeline, you can right click on the function, and from there you "add animation"

4. When you select add animation, there will be a property window on the bottom right corner -- one of the feature lets you add animation. click open the box, select an animation... it will then add the animation to the timeline.

5. Picking the right animation takes FOREVER... and its extremely time consuming. Google search for "beerfish" and you'll find an excel document he typed up. In it is hundreds / thousand animation title, file name, description. No skipping this part... you will need to just spend hours and hours figuring out which one to use.

6. Most of the animations are short (some are longer). You will have to keep adding animations for every action, using the same process. If you added multiple animation, you can select the 2 bars -- right click -- and there is an option to blend animation. Some animations blend well, some are just weird.

7. For every creature you add... unless you add individual animation, you're creature will just stand still. It's complicated when you start adding in 3,4,10+ creatures. The video is a timeline. When it plays from 2 second to 4 seconds... and the camera shows 5 creatures during the 2 second window... you should add animation to each or the cutscene looks odd becaure you're creature is standing still.

8. Lastly, if you want your creature to "walk" on the ground and follow through the animation, you need to do 2 things.

- First, find the animation. For example "Walk Forward". You'll notice when you use this animation, your creature walks in place -- he does not actually move anywhere. What you need to do is add a "T" timeline after you added the animation. On this new Timeline, you need to select "alt-W". I forget what alt-w is, but its something like "snap to mesh". If you extend this snap to mesh timeline to match your "walk forward" animation, it will actually let your creature walk across the ground.

- So... recap. To walk forward, you need 1 timeline for the walk animation. Then you need another timeline for the snap to mesh. Now... go back to the "walk forward" animation property, and one of the option is to enable GAD. Enable it. The editor WON"T let you enable gad IF YOU DID NOT SET "K" first.

Anyways, it's a quick summary. There is no easy way or "short cut" to learning the cutscene. It is time consuming, tedious, and annoying to learn. It took me forever to understand the basics. I hope this write up is enough to get you started... but in no way is it enough for you to fully understand cutscene. You just have to spend time on it -- trial and error.

o.O well ... thats one big post ... and all that for 1 second off movement xD

no but thanks for just helping me out here :p you make it look a lot easier just by explaining it in your own words :) thanks alot

well... it can be 2-3 seconds if you happen to pick a longer animation. but the process gives you 1 animation. basically...

1. position camera. set a key frame

2. goto your creature, add an animation

3. repeat for every animation you want to add. the more creatures you have on the camera view that you want to animate, the more you'll get stuck on that particular second of time adding animation to each creature.

some animation lasts fraction of a second. pick and choose what you want to do.

my first full animated cutscene took over 10 hours to make... and it was a 8 second clip. but this is taking into account i was learning.

my most recent animated cutscene can be finished in about 5-6 hours, with much more precision and animation... but it is still crude at best and no where near what bioware puts out.

• 6 months later...