Endorsements, Players, and Modders

guantanamobayxx

ONLY ~3% of gamers actually thank their modders by leaving an Endorsement! WTF!?!?

I slave away for days making mods for players.....they download my mods by the thousands.....and I get 3% Endorsements, which are free and take a second to give! I think my days of modding might be over....

I also don't really care about endorsements or even the hot file system for that matter. I mod for the simple pleasure of creating stuff. And yeah someone saying "your mod is great" is always nice however, as one mod author stated on another topic, we slave in CK for hours or days or weeks and as soon as it's uploaded we get "hey can you change the color of the rug by the front door" or "can you please change the name of your mod and start over from scratch because I have another mod with same name" etc. We create for us and no one else but at times it feels as if we are robots and that we should cater to everyone. The Nexus team I will admit has been good to us in my opinion making it easier to upload, allowing us the control of our forums etc. If I sat around worrying if my mod was going to get to 10 endorsements then it would be time to find a new hobby.

I really needed to read that. Certain things you pointed out are the very reason I've yet to release anything to the public, and I've made tons of mods for myself, even though they were all made with the intention to be shared. It's not about endorsements, it's rather people will enjoy the mod, and with the apparent high expectations mod users have, I just don't think mine would be enjoyed by other people.

I am not really surprised about some of the reactions

For the Modder's who insist not to care about the Endorsement and mod only for them-selves, If that would be true explain why do you "share and publish" anything if you do it only for yourself?

Yes I mod I make mod for myself and I enjoy it - but I also share some of that work with the community, if we can call that a community. The work I share I do want to see feedback I do want to know if is good or bad - I don't want to know how I could make it better or if I changed color it would look better.

It is sad to see that only 3 to 10% of every user gives its feedback and this means I have to believe the judgment of that minority where as the majority is quiet. As a result the minority will shape the future projects with their responds despite the fact that maybe the real trend goes in a different direction. Same as in real life politics or even Game industry trends.

Of course some of you Players are insulted by putting you all under the same bus (but you are a minority of less than 10% anyway) making noise here - but that is expected as you are the once who also open their mouth and made their vote already but the once from the majority of silent users stay quiet.

If you put the figures in perspective it is even worse as on Nexus are 14Mill members - If your mod is not downloaded at least 100K times, less than 1% of this community noticed your mod and if your download to endorsement ratio is 10%(which is a great result) still less than 0.1% of the community things your mod is great.

Why is that even an issue every one might ask, we all could give a f*** and obviously most do

but as I mention before the danger is that the Mod makers and game developers will based their decisions and future developments on the result what is accepted and endorsed by the community.

We can see that results in already existing trends in the game industry, what sells will be produced as it makes money and it is not a measurement of quality. If 1% of this community buys one of my mods for 10$ I make a million - why would I care about the rest of the community who maybe hate my mod?? So I produce more of that context for that 1% and others will follow me on that trend as they want a cut from that market.

That as an example is the way the Game industry(and any other Industry) is progressing.

Yes we all could give a f*** but than don't complain about the Games and their quality which will come out next years. And don't be fooled by pretty graphic as that does not make a good game.

So yes here on Nexus it might not play a roll at all, but on a bigger picture it does. People who don't believe that the big Player in the Game-Industry are not watching and following trends here on nexus also believe that voting for their political leaders does not make any impact anyway or does it?

CL

I think if I didn't get any endorsements, I would not mod. It took me a yr and half, many many hrs every week, to create the only mod I've published to date, and if no one gave me positive feedback, I'd not bother with #2 which I've been working on since just after SSE came out. Users who commented on my page were all pretty positive, except for one person who complained about the name of the mod (really that was the compliant). And I appreciated those comments and the 10% endorsement ratio.

I think positive feedback in whatever form it takes does mean something to most modders because without it, I doubt they'd (nor I) would ever publish again.

Thanks you to those that let me know they thought well of my mod and appreciated what went in to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've released several mods....my best guess is that between them, I have about 15,000 users! Of that FIFTEEN THOUSAND, I have only around 400 Endorsements.....so less than 3% of Gamers bother to leave Endorsements!

WORSE YET!!!! I will get Gamers asking me to do extra work for them (adding or adjusting stuff to my mods JUST FOR THEM).....and they can't be bothered to take 5 SECONDS to Endorsement my work!!

THE NEW GENERATION OF GAMERS MOSTLY ARE SELF ENTITLED, SPOILED BRATS!!!!!