Quest Resetting Mod?

Trollkage

So far as I know there is no way to undo a quest stage in Oblivion by console command or script. Theoretically it could be done by directly editing a savegame file, but I do not know if anyone knows how to do that edit, or even find the quest stage completed lines in a savegame file.

If anyone has any idea how I might go about figuring out how to edit my save like that, I would be more than willing to give it my best shot. I'd really like to be able to do this quest if at all possible, another idea I had. Would it be possible to simply copy the quest and all it's contents into another quest and then remove the old one and use that new quest since the game won't have data on me completing it?

Vanilla quests in Oblivion are at best difficult to reset, usually it's impossible. There are a few reasons for this. Many quests only allow each stage to be activated once, so that in itself means they cannot be redone. Topics that have been added can't be removed, which would allow you to talk to NPCs about things way before you would normally. Many small details can be fixed - some flags can be restored, some people can be resurrected, and some objects replaced - but this usually has to be done manually and no automated process can do this for more than one quest.

If Glarthir is dead because you just left him, there is something you can do. You can use a console command to finish the quest, using setstage. The code for this particular quest is MS38, so you would type

SetStage MS38 <stage>

You could use stage 65 to explain away why Glarthir was killed, or any other stage from the bottom of this page:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Paranoia