Gamepad-friendly pipboy pda

TheShoduck

Not too sure if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if a gamepad-friendly Pip-Boy PDA mod could be made. Now, I know a lot of you would just tell me to use a mouse and keyboard, but due to a condition with my hands (tendons didn't grow properly, so my fingers can't extend normally) using that method is uncomfortable to say the least. I've looked into X-Padder and the like, but using that method removes the ability to use the analogue stick to adjust walk/run and takes up an extra button, same applies to just binding two buttons to the tab and B keys.

Also, regarding issues like the one mentioned in the comments of the Pip-Boy Readius mod (FOSE doesn't support binding of gamepad buttons as script activators or some such thing, that's all over my head, really) perhaps a hot-keyable item could be used for the pip-light.

Call this idea stupid, call me lazy or whatever you want, I just felt it wouldn't hurt to ask.

In any case, I'd be incredibly grateful to anyone who takes this request.

PS: To the best of my memory, as well as what I've read alexscorpion has released his Pipoy Readius mod (among others) as a free modder's resource, so I'd imagine that would be a good place to start. Honestly, I'd take a stab at this myself, but as I said, things like this are way over my head.

Also, regarding issues like the one mentioned in the comments of the Pip-Boy Readius mod (FOSE doesn't support binding of gamepad buttons as script activators or some such thing, that's all over my head, really) perhaps a hot-keyable item could be used for the pip-light.

The light isn't really the issue. The script has to know when you hit the Pipboy button so that it can reequip the Pipboy before your hand reaches your face. There's no way to detect this on the controller, though.

As I've said before: if FOSE ever updates with such functionality, I'll be happy to make an update.

I haven't tried playing the game with a controller, so this is all conjecture, but is there not a way to unmap the Pipboy from whatever in-game button it corresponds to on the controller? It seems to me that if you did that, you wouldn't need to do everything through XPadder; you'd just map the one button and leave everything else to the game. Does that not work?

I haven't tried playing the game with a controller, so this is all conjecture, but is there not a way to unmap the Pipboy from whatever in-game button it corresponds to on the controller? It seems to me that if you did that, you wouldn't need to do everything through XPadder; you'd just map the one button and leave everything else to the game. Does that not work?

I haven't unmapped the Pip-boy button, no. And mapping the Tab key to it while FO3 is in "Gamepad Mode" (for lack of a better way to put it) it more or less disables the keyboard and mouse in the game. While some scripted hotkeys still work (like FOOK's menu as one example) others, like the Tab key are simply put on a back seat, even when mapped to the controller via Xpadder. Also, Pipboy Reasius would need two keys mapped to it anyway, one for bringing up the Pip-boy itself, and another for the light key. I'll try a bit more testing on a few things before I decide to give up on this idea until FOSE updates (assuming it receives such an update.).

Anyway, thanks for the reply Brianide.

PS: Completely unrelated, but would you happen to be the same Brianide that played on a private Phantasy Star Online server a ways back?

PS: Completely unrelated, but would you happen to be the same Brianide that played on a private Phantasy Star Online server a ways back?

Yes, actually. Haven't played it in ages, but I still post on the forum occasionally.

I haven't unmapped the Pip-boy button, no. And mapping the Tab key to it while FO3 is in "Gamepad Mode" (for lack of a better way to put it) it more or less disables the keyboard and mouse in the game. While some scripted hotkeys still work (like FOOK's menu as one example) others, like the Tab key are simply put on a back seat, even when mapped to the controller via Xpadder. Also, Pipboy Reasius would need two keys mapped to it anyway, one for bringing up the Pip-boy itself, and another for the light key. I'll try a bit more testing on a few things before I decide to give up on this idea until FOSE updates (assuming it receives such an update.).

Anyway, thanks for the reply Brianide.

I've kinda faded into obscurity there, but this is G.O.L.D.. Not sure if you'd remember me.

In any case, I guess this topic has served its purpose until an update is made to FOSE for gamepad recognition.

I've kinda faded into obscurity there, but this is G.O.L.D.. Not sure if you'd remember me.

In any case, I guess this topic has served its purpose until an update is made to FOSE for gamepad recognition.

Yeah, I remember you. I don't think we played together all that much (after I hit Lv12x, I didn't play much at all, really; most of my PSO time went into making

, until Crono added the CRC, at which point I stopped playing), but I know we did a few times, probably via mutual friendship with Brakesux Break/ZERO DX.

If they haven't added any such functionality by the time New Vegas comes out, I might try to come up with a hacky creative solution, since there's apparently a lot of people who voluntarily choose to use a controller when playing Fallout 3. Your mentioning binding the light to a hotkey-item brought to my head the notion of binding the Pipboy itself to one. I don't know if that would even work (TapKey, a function crucial to this approach, was not working the last time I tried using it), and it's the sort of ugly solution I like to avoid, but I figure it's better than nothing.

Yeah, I remember you. I don't think we played together all that much (after I hit Lv12x, I didn't play much at all, really; most of my PSO time went into making

, until Crono added the CRC, at which point I stopped playing), but I know we did a few times, probably via mutual friendship with Brakesux Break/ZERO DX.

If they haven't added any such functionality by the time New Vegas comes out, I might try to come up with a hacky creative solution, since there's apparently a lot of people who voluntarily choose to use a controller when playing Fallout 3. Your mentioning binding the light to a hotkey-item brought to my head the notion of binding the Pipboy itself to one. I don't know if that would even work (TapKey, a function crucial to this approach, was not working the last time I tried using it), and it's the sort of ugly solution I like to avoid, but I figure it's better than nothing.

Actually, I've been using this mod and it makes the Pip-boy an item you can equip and unequip freely and it works via hotkey, so I'd imagine your idea would work to some degree, so long as the pip-boy was scripted to permanently attach itself to one of the main 8 hotkeys (D-pad buttons/diagonals in the case of the 360 controller) it would work. Also, making it a quest item so as to avoid accidentally throwing it in storage (did that so many times with the mod mentioned) would be a good idea.