Can't get texture translucency to work

volnaiskra

Does Skyrim support translucency? I've tried saving my file in a few different ways, but the texture only ever comes out with a binary (ie. monochrome) alpha. In other words, a pixel is either totally opaque or totally transparent - there is no translucency. See below:

http://snag.gy/4TmjM.jpg

I've tried saving the DDS as DXT5 and 8.8.8.8 but it produces the same results. Is there something I'm missing?

I have no idea, as I've never edited a NIF before. I'm just working with the dds files.

I've opened up an instance of the texture in the Creation Kit (shown below). What should I look for? My guess is that it's a decal and therefore doesn't have any meshes in the first place, but I don't know for sure.

I guess setting "alpha" to "blending" instead of "testing" sounds promising. But isn't that the sort of thing that should be done within Photoshop and/or the nvidia DDS plugin interface, and not the Creation Kit? If I make this change, will I need to store this information in an .ESP?

http://snag.gy/2EYMn.jpg

I guess setting "alpha" to "blending" instead of "testing" sounds promising. But isn't that the sort of thing that should be done within Photoshop and/or the nvidia DDS plugin interface, and not the Creation Kit? If I make this change, will I need to store this information in an .ESP?

Well you would indeed have to set that in the Creation Kit, and yes you'd need to save an ESP for that change. However I dont know if this Alpha setting will really do the trick.

You could try to use a NIF. For example the game file meshes\clutter\quest\tgwallrubbingblank.nif could be usable for this purpose.

You'll need NifSkope to load the NIF and change the Texture path to yours. Then you'd add the NIF as a new Static object.