Creature UTC's

Lehcar

So let's say I want to change the clothing or equipment a certain character is wearing, or I want to make certain items in an enemy's inventory lootable. How do I export the modified UTC as single, independent package so it the changes I made will actually show up in the game??

So let's say I want to change the clothing or equipment a certain character is wearing, or I want to make certain items in an enemy's inventory lootable. How do I export the modified UTC as single, independent package so it the changes I made will actually show up in the game??

If you are using clothing already in the toolset, then export without dependent resources, and it should show up in either the modules or packages override folder. Make sure that you name it the same as the one you are replacing. (forgot that when first testing my make Daveth an elf mod I am working on). If it is a special clothing you made seperately (like my Daveth morph) then make a new folder in the packages override, and make sure to place the new utc and any related special files in that folder. For example, for the aforementioned mod, I made a folder in the packages override folder called davethelf. I then placed the pre100cr_daveth.utc and davethelf.mor files in that folder. (plus some cutscenes to re-center Daveth on the screen) And it does work.

Aha I got it!!! Thank you sooo much :biggrin:

Just another question... how do I place custom items into chests and character inventories? For example if I make a customized shield, the problem I'm having is if even I save the resource and export it and everything, if I try to add it into a chest it doesn't show up on the list, so I can't do it. Wth? What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? :sad:

Also, how do I adjust the material tier level of the armour an NPC is wearing?

Aha I got it!!! Thank you sooo much :biggrin:

Just another question... how do I place custom items into chests and character inventories? For example if I make a customized shield, the problem I'm having is if even I save the resource and export it and everything, if I try to add it into a chest it doesn't show up on the list, so I can't do it. Wth? What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? :sad:

Also, how do I adjust the material tier level of the armour an NPC is wearing?

These two I do not know, DarkeWolf helped me figure out the first one, so I would bet he might know.

Well, to quote a friend of mine "In DA, nothing's ever easy".

I hunted around, and it turns out that adding an item to a container uses the exact same method as adding an item to a player. Via script. (Which sucks, cause that means that it's vulnerable to some of the same bugs as the scripts that add custom armor/weapons/items/gear to players!) http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/8/index/374252/1

prosthetics11 posted a link to a script in post 7. Havent tried it myself tho, so can't confirm or deny if its good.

Effed up way of doing it, since in most other games you just create a container, throw what you want into it, then place it in whatever area. Or place the container, then add whatever you want. Stupid way of doing it in BW's case, IMO.

[Edit2] Or you could make a script for the container and include the scripts to add the items in the container script. The downside to this however, is that you need to have the coordinates for where to place the container. Which, in this game, I've NO IDEA on how to get those. [/edit]

For the armor...

Because the inventory only includes a filename, not the item's actual information, you would have to replace the item that it has, with a different one.

So unless you can find a version of the armor that is of a higher tier mat in the vanilla game, you'll have to custom make it, and then add the filename(s) for the new item(s) to the character's inventory. Now, that said, I havent done that before either, so I'm not sure if you have to create a new module for it, and have the files (character and new gear) in the module, or if you can just include the files in the same folder in your override folder and work.

(if its a custom item I mean. vanilla item would not be a problem and wouldnt need the extra files)

One thing that I might recommend for finding a higher tier if it's a vanilla item, is to look in the utc files for bosses and specialty characters. Like for example Ser Cauthrien uses a dragonbone set of heavy chainmail in the arle of denerim fight. Or Teagan wears a set of upgraded heavy chain in the cutscene where he speaks up against Loghain. Each of those has a variant of the character in them, with different gear.

Tho, unless you know exactly what you're looking for and where to find it, it would be faster to just create a new set of armor.

I know that this isnt 100% informative, since I havent actually tried any of it. And I'm really sorry about that :sad:

But it will hopefully get you going in the right direction.