Question about noble hunters...

Lehcar

I'm wondering about this because I made my own headmorphs for those noble hunters in the Dwarf Noble origin, and I'm debating whether or not I should add casteless tats on their cheeks.

Are they supposed to be casteless, those girls? The toolset says they are, but the thing is, Teli mentions that "they worked many week's wages to get their permits (to come into the diamond quarter to try and hook up with noblemen)"... that conflicts with the premise of them being casteless, because casteless aren't allowed to do any kind of work? Absolutely nobody will hire a casteless dwarf to do just about any jobs whatsoever. I just assumed these girls were unhappy members of the servant caste who wanted to move up on the social ladder. :unsure:

I'm wondering about this because I made my own headmorphs for those noble hunters in the Dwarf Noble origin, and I'm debating whether or not I should add casteless tats on their cheeks.

Are they supposed to be casteless, those girls? The toolset says they are, but the thing is, Teli mentions that "they worked many week's wages to get their permits (to come into the diamond quarter to try and hook up with noblemen)"... that conflicts with the premise of them being casteless, because casteless aren't allowed to do any kind of work? Absolutely nobody will hire a casteless dwarf to do just about any jobs whatsoever. I just assumed these girls were unhappy members of the servant caste who wanted to move up on the social ladder. :unsure:

They are not casteless because they wouldn't then be allowed into the Diamond Quarter. I would guess servant, merchant, or even smith caste. Warrior class I think would be close enough to noble they wouldn't bother. Even during the commoner origin the guards give you grief about being in the commons. Also, I think I heard a bystander in the Provings Arena state there were noble hunters there, but the guard again gives you grief as a casteless going in until you show him the pass from Beraht. Also, I don't think they are from the surface. There is a merchant in the commoner origin that states he wears a temporary tat because he is required to while selling in the commons, but remarks that at least unlike yours he can wash it off once he gets home.

They are not casteless because they wouldn't then be allowed into the Diamond Quarter. I would guess servant, merchant, or even smith caste. Warrior class I think would be close enough to noble they wouldn't bother. Even during the commoner origin the guards give you grief about being in the commons. Also, I think I heard a bystander in the Provings Arena state there were noble hunters there, but the guard again gives you grief as a casteless going in until you show him the pass from Beraht. Also, I don't think they are from the surface. There is a merchant in the commoner origin that states he wears a temporary tat because he is required to while selling in the commons, but remarks that at least unlike yours he can wash it off once he gets home.

I beg to differ... from the wiki (quote), codex (read it) and game play (experienced it):

There’s even a name for casteless women who engage in this practice: “noble hunters.” A casteless girl with a pretty face and a kind manner can be the key to raising her family from the poverty of Dust Town.

They are castless and as near as I can tell sans tattoo but I am using DA redesigned so that may skew things.

Yeah, I know the wiki has that, but wiki's are not known to be completely accurate. I am going by what was presented in the game. And even though Rica is castless, she is also the girlfriend of Bhelen the prince. Trian remarks in his journal that he does not like that he is covorting with a casteless woman. Had she been dating someone else I do not think she could be walking around in the Diamond Quarter alone.

EDIT: I stand corrected. After writing this I went into the toolset to look at the characters, and both Mardy and Teli are listed as castess on the cultural background and accent. Why they are the only casteless without tats is beyond me. Even the CC puts up a flag if you remove the tat while creating a commoner character.

Well... to paraphrase Andrew Dice Clay... "Either she is castless, or she is not castless - there is no in-between. She may be the prince's consort but she is still castless; evidenced by the words of the people in Orz. She may be shagging the prince but in the words of Sten she is still "Tal'Vashoth" :ohmy:

Well... to paraphrase Andrew Dice Clay... "Either she is castless, or she is not castless - there is no in-between. She may be the prince's consort but she is still castless; evidenced by the words of the people in Orz. She may be shagging the prince but in the words of Sten she is still "Tal'Vashoth" :ohmy:

Too true. Looking at this now I wish the devs had been a little more consistant regrading Mardy and Teli visually. And as for Rica, I imagine all the political strings Behlen has hold of is why she can run around without the proverbial leash. :confused:

Maybe they weren't marked on their faces? I recall tattoos mentioned but I don't think they were ever made compulsory to be marked on the face. I'm pretty sure I remember quite a handful of casteless dwarves did not have tats on their faces... Perhaps markings on the hands or neck or visible portion of skin will do?

Maybe they weren't marked on their faces? I recall tattoos mentioned but I don't think they were ever made compulsory to be marked on the face. I'm pretty sure I remember quite a handful of casteless dwarves did not have tats on their faces... Perhaps markings on the hands or neck or visible portion of skin will do?

Casteless are supposed to have a face brand placed on them at birth. I think the lack of them on some of the casteless was an oversight. To confirm this in the game during the casteless origin speak to Duncan in the Proving Arena. When he says he is Duncan of the Grey Wardens, you can replay you are such and such of nobody. He will then remark "ah yes. That is what the face brand is for."

Casteless are supposed to have a face brand placed on them at birth. I think the lack of them on some of the casteless was an oversight. To confirm this in the game during the casteless origin speak to Duncan in the Proving Arena. When he says he is Duncan of the Grey Wardens, you can replay you are such and such of nobody. He will then remark "ah yes. That is what the face brand is for."

But what of those who get stripped of their caste? Oghren doesn't have a tat and he's been stripped of house and caste, same with the beggar in Dust Town that gave her's up because she doesn't want to kill her casteless baby.