GECK saves changes as new items

Nadin

Changing your mod to an ESM does not change the file extension. You have to rename the file yourself. Also note that ESMs and false ESMs (and ESM with an .esp extension) cannot be edited in the Geck. If you try to edit them, the Geck will ask you for a new file name and you will create a new pluggin with your old file as the master. Making a file an ESM does nothing more than setting the ESM flag in the header record of your mod. Perhaps this has been your problem all along. Maybe you have been trying to edit a false ESM and the Geck keeps making a new file when you are finished. You can easily check this out by opening your mod with FO3Edit and then looking at the 'file header' record at the top of your file and editing the blank space to the right of the 'Record Flags' in the view window. Just right click in that blank space and choose 'Edit'. The ESM flag is the first in the list.

It's an ESP. It was preceded by two .ESM and three .ESP files. The problem was when I tried to alter the records in the .ESP files using the geck and the new ESP so converting them to ESM should fix the problem.

Alright, I upgraded them to ESM in F03edit, but the filename still says .Esp. That should be OK, right?

How the hell do you know all this stuff?

I make lots of mistakes, mostly.

It will work. You can even change it back after you're done and the plugin will still keep its dependency. Just make sure you masterize it again before editing that plugin.