TES3 vs. TES4

lizardskin

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better (graphics aside)?

• TES3
    • TES4

I'm jsut curious what others out there think. I've played both games, and setting aside the fact that Oblivion obviously has better graphics and smoother gameplay features, I still think TES3: Morrowind, Bloodmoon, and Tribunal was/were better in terms of story and setting. TES3 is just far more 'fantastical' than TES4. The events, creatures, and even the cities in Morrowind seem more like they belong in a fantasy novel than what I find in Oblivion. Civilization in Cyrodill bears too much resemblence to the middle-ages in reality. I guess the Shivering Isles was meant to spice up the setting a bit, but even still, the Isles are a seperate world from Cyrodill. The Shivering Isles in its own right is extremely fantastical by its very nature (I probably spend more time there than I do in Cyrodill)

Would anyone else like to elaborate on their thoughts about the settings of each game?

I think Morrowind was much better. It had a story line that was much better than Oblivion's. The combat system was decent because you had more weapon types than Oblivion did, but it was flawed. I loved Bloodmoon more than anything in Morrowind. You could create your own town (without mods of course), become a werewolf, and kill weird undead nords. Tribunal was fun too, you could get flaming weapons, great looking guard armor, and kill a guy you didn't pay earlier who wants revenge.

Oblivion was great because it had great graphics, guild quests, and the addition of fighting more Deadra than Morrowind.

Personally my favorite is Morrowind. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Morrowind by far It had greater role playing greater factions and greater everything ! Stealing was actually hard to do Loot was incredible story was great and it always kept you waiting to see what would happen next !

I played Morrowind after years of playing oblivion, I realized that morrowind is a great game but there were many things that made me unable to love as much as i loved oblivion. The chance of failing attacks or spells ruined the game for me and i don't mean casting spells that are very powerful while my skill is low, i am talking about spells that have a chance of 70 to 80% chance. I was playing as a mage and sometimes when i cast a spell it fails and also consumes my magicka which made many of the battles in the game depending on luck than they should have been. I Know that morowind had more quests than oblivion and its story was more interesting but i was still unable to enjoy it as much as i enjoyed oblivion.

The question with "aside from the graphics" makes Morrowind the better game. I had crossbows! I could find a daedric weapon just lying in a sewer or a glass dagger hidden in a stump at level one. I did not need a mod to train my character more than five levels in one session, I just needed to be able to afford the training and have the base attribute high enough to allow my character to learn. The Fantasy feeling was definitely alive in Morrowind, I was expecting to be attacked by Harpies when I first played Oblivion.I was expecting Wolves,horses, but where are the Wyverns and Dragons, or an Alit or Sload?

I prefer Morrowind over Oblivion.

This is mainly because I played Morrowind first, and I'm stuck with all those good memories of the game! :)

But basically, Morrowind had better story, more quests, more unique characters (This is due to no voice acting, which makes it a lot easier to create unique personalities).

Also, I liked that when you accepted a quest, you only had what the NPC said to go on. No Quest markers to show the exact location, and also, the NPC didn't tell you exactly where to find stuff, so you were on your own, and didn't have that babysitter over your shoulder!

I also really loved the setting of Morrowind; the darkness of it, compared to Oblivion, which is a tad too light and colorful (This fit to Shivering Isles of course, but not Cyrodiil). Morrowind also doesn't look so much like real life medieval times as Oblivion does, like Lizardskin said. :)

I COULD go on and on about what I LOVE about Morrowind, but I won't... :P

All those factions you could join in Morrowind were awesome! You could roleplay all sorts of characters. Having custom-enchanted items made for me was my favorite thing. I would go treasure hunting because I wanted to save up enough gold to buy enchantments. I had one mage who carried about 15 rings with powerful ranged elemental damage spells. It was a blast!