Borg'd by the cheloveks

BadPenney

I read some posts by admin about malicious code attacks on the forums by Ukrainian hackers. It seems that this is exactly the wrong time to ask further questions of Robin due to scheduling, so I will place the question to the forum at large. Do the malicious code attacks on the forums include targetting visitors to the forums? If so, how sophisticated is their work and are there any recognizable symptoms if my computer has been ghoulified? My sweeps show nothing, but then I am not a hacker.

I guess what I am asking is: does anyone know anything more?

My guess? They plant code on the pages that exploit security vulnerabilities in users' OS/browser. Probably your PC becomes a zombie relaying spam/DDoS/other dickishness. What would you notice? I would guess nothing obvious. Perhaps slowness, network or hard disk activity when you're not doing anything to warrant it, that kind of thing. Upgrade to linux, homes!

Use Comodo Security Suite, it's a bit spazzy till it gets used to what you run on your comp, but you can add exceptions to it as they come. It tends to recognize OBSE/FOSE as unknown potential malwar, but you can just make it an exception, and it'll do the same to any plugins for them, but again, you can add exception. Once it gets used to you, it's a nice little gizmo. :)

I can't verify this for certain. But I did seem to get the virtumonde virus on my PC after an advertisement from the Nexus (mods) section went full-page on my screen without me clicking it. I spent three days trying to get rid of it and eventually just reformatted. That one was a *female dog* as it kept re-embedding itself every time I rebooted the PC. I don't really know how to keep them out of my PC short of never attaching to the internet. My guess is that it burrowed in through the browser as an add-on, but I suppose that's obvious.

I can't verify this for certain. But I did seem to get the virtumonde virus on my PC after an advertisement from the Nexus (mods) section went full-page on my screen without me clicking it.

Was that within the past week? I may be seeing a little slower performance online at times but it may be paranoia since I see no excessive CPU usage. My connection is a bit slow anyway.

I am more interested in any current issues that people are experiencing rather than non-specific discussions about operating systems, browsers, firewalls or anti-virus software.

I picked a virus up a while ago in one of my programs that did nothing at all except increase the processes of said program to around 86 at all times, which maxed my computer and introduced my to the meaning of "Lagfest".

I recently had a virus on my computer as well, like Clexors problem the said virus / program was using about 86 - 100% of my CPU, I forget the name but i think it might have been stdrt.exe... not quite sure though, to remove the virus i ended up reformatting my hard drive and did a clean install (about a week ago). Then i got the virus again, and i still don't know how, it was literally a day after the clean install and i had downloaded nothing at all yet except Firefox. To get rid of it that time i just traced the exe in safe mode and deleted it and everything to do with it. That was 4 days ago, and computer seems to be running normal for now.

Was that within the past week?

No, it was about 2 months ago. My AV showed nothing, but both Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes did pick up the virus(es) on a scan, even if they couldn't remove them. There were 27 total parts to it according to those two programs. So if your sweeps are clean outside of AV (which IMHO is almost useless) then you are probably clean. What do you use to scan outside of AV?

A couple times in the previous month when I went to download a file here on the Nexus, one of those fake AV pages came up that claimed my pc was infected. I usually end-task my browser when that happens. A lot of that fake AV crap comes from the Ukraine and they inject code into perfectly legit sites.

What's up with some of them Ukrainians? Do they just hate the internet or something? Another one of my sites recently had to pull down temporarily due to Ukrainian hackers. Maybe their following me, that would be really odd.