Chryslus Motors Highwayman

Manoil

I'm aware that people have requested all sorts of drivable vehicle additions, but likely few of them are worth pursuing. This is one of the few.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091025220204/fallout/images/5/56/HighwaymanRender.png

The Chryslus Motors Highwayman is the only working vehicle usable by the PC in Fallout 2 and it was possible to also use it as a vehicle in the canceled Fallout d20.

The Highwayman's got a full analog system, 800 + Horsepower, 0 to 60 in less than a second, a sizeable trunk and spacious interior, able to accommodate the entire party of the Chosen One, from Marcus to Skynet. That particular Highwayman could be found in the Den. Its missing part, the fuel cell controller, could be found in Gecko.

The battery can be charged with either Micro Fusion Cells or Small Energy Cells. A full pack of SEC (40) charges it up 20%, a full pack of MFC (50) charges it up 50%.

Unlike the drivable motorcycle, the vehicle's wider size means that it can't fit through tight squeezes, meaning that the player must exit the vehicle in small areas, rather than drive through any cramped alley they come across. It's also not equipped with weapons, meaning the character must either flee or exit the car to return fire, rather than sit and let turrets do all the work. The plus side is two-fold: the metal body allows for damage resistance at a reasonable rate instead of an open vulnerability of sitting on a motorcycle seat, and the high speed would allow the user to navigate the wastes quickly when sticking to roads and open areas, and also being able to store items in the trunk. As such, this could end up being the perfect tool for heavy scavving. While fast travel would still be available, this would remain a smart choice because it would allow players to move much greater amounts of inventory weight as well as escape battles they might not otherwise survive (both being hinderances that prevent fast travel).

In summary, the vehicle adds great bonuses while avoiding the borderline-cheating of the "drive-anywhere" Motorcycle armed with turrets.

I'm sure part of what is needed could be adapted from this mod, with the participation of it's creator, hardkopy.

Current predicted obstacles:

-removing followers from the map when entering the car, and spawning them next to it when exiting (would likely need checks for environmental obstacles before spawning a follower)

-requires brainstorming / balancing of car HP and DR to ensure it is neither a tank nor a cardboard box but a reasonable midpoint; also, some method of repair

-limits on follower party size; 6 followers max, no 20-man private armies (in respect to both the logical amount of passengers as well as limits on exit spawning)

-if the upgrading system is added later, the addition of grav-plates would likely mean that the car could drive over water. This would require even more fine-tuning of the vehicle's mechanics.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I would recommend making it posible to repair any car lyng in the wastes and using parts that are all around for repairs sounds like a big task but it makes the game adaptible espicially if i could use any of the tires that r lyng around maybe even make the red rocket gas station work.

Make it possible to repair any car? I remember playing fallout one and reading the captain that said "Even if the mechanic from the time frame the car was constructed where to magically appear by your side the both of you would not be able to fix this car."

But back to the OP heck yeah. That's a good idea.

I would recommend making it posible to repair any car lyng in the wastes and using parts that are all around for repairs sounds like a big task but it makes the game adaptible espicially if i could use any of the tires that r lyng around maybe even make the red rocket gas station work.

i think that was a joke referace to the apocalypce time frame when there is hardly anything to work with sry for the obvious