Modding Around Terrain Issues In The Wastes?

vforvic

I have a general question about modeling out in the Wasteland. How do you deal with all the generated grass and trees that are put in place, but not rendered in the GECK? If I go into the GECK and put a suitcase in a nice clean area it looks great where it sits in the GECK. If I start the game and go see it then it might have grass sticking out the top or a new tree right beside it that was not shown in the GECK.

So for the last couple of days I have been playing with the Region Editor and reading up in the wiki about it, but I still just can't get the thing to do anything like make a Cell more barren as far as Grass and Trees. I can of course remove the Static stuff, but the generated stuff is always there.

Now I know I can just adjust stuff when I see it messed up or cover problem areas with other things...like two suitcases on top of each other to cover the grass, but what about when I need all trees in a cell or area in a cell to be gone or knocked over?

What does everyone else do in these situations if anything other than live with it?

Thanks for any ideas or insight.

OK Thanks, I got that one. But now how does the grass work? As far as I can tell they are generated via the Land Textures? They appear not to be statics and do not show in the Geck when previewing an area so they are hard to avoid when placing objects.

If you want to repaint the terrain so that it does not generate randomly placed grass or brush it is not so difficult. Highlight the cell quadrant that you want to paint and press ( i ) to display the landscape textures that are already painted there. There are variations of most textures. Landscape textures that generate grass end in "grass" (for instance: LDirtScumWasteland01 and LDirtScumWasteland01Grass). You can delete the grass version and repaint with the no grass version. Sage is the term for the random bushes. Deleting landscape textures can cause drastic changes in appearance. I believe that there is a maximum number of 7 textures per landscape tile. If you find that you can't paint anymore it is likely that you are already max.

Placing objects in the Wasteland in places that aren't already painted with grass or sage is the most reliable, since repainted Wastelands are easily overwritten in mod lists.

If you want to repaint the terrain so that it does not generate randomly placed grass or brush it is not so difficult. Highlight the cell quadrant that you want to paint and press ( i ) to display the landscape textures that are already painted there. There are variations of most textures. Landscape textures that generate grass end in "grass" (for instance: LDirtScumWasteland01 and LDirtScumWasteland01Grass). You can delete the grass version and repaint with the no grass version. Sage is the term for the random bushes. Deleting landscape textures can cause drastic changes in appearance. I believe that there is a maximum number of 7 textures per landscape tile. If you find that you can't paint anymore it is likely that you are already max.

Placing objects in the Wasteland in places that aren't already painted with grass or sage is the most reliable, since repainted Wastelands are easily overwritten in mod lists.

Thanks for the help. After reading your post I was able to mess around with it and I see what you mean. I also now see what you mean about the overwriting issue. I should have thought about that issue since I have seen it done so much on accident with mods. Probably best just to find a suitable spot that works as is. Thanks for the great information.