How To Install Plugins/mods

Stampede

hi im new here and ive downloaded some file and im having problem installing them even with the guid.

i have followed the stepts and still didnt sucssed in installing the files, one of them is the "colour terrain map"

what do i need to do?

The first thing is to start your own topic. More people will see it and you will get more help. Post it in the Mod Troubleshooting section. Just navigate to the Mod troubleshooting The Nexus Forums > Specific Games > Oblivion > Oblivion Modifications > Mod Troubleshooting

Then in the upper right find 'New Topic' click on it and enter your question.

Bben46, Moderator

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I'm getting my laptop Wednesday, I'm buying Fallout and Oblivion tomorrow, I've been looking at mods on Nexus for the past month, just rejoicing at how I know I'm going to love adding mods to my games. I already have both for the Ps3, but just for the mods to me it's worth it.

Now as I await my laptop and have no ps3 games I want to play, I've been spending a lot of time choosing the mods that I want to use, but the more I get into it, the more it seems I am realizing, or having an illusion, that adding mods to a game seems quite difficult for someone who knows NOTHING of computers. The steps seem simple enough, but I'm still confused on certain things, and I hope I'm asking in the right topic...

First, how do you backup a file? (I know it's nubbest question ever, but again I have no experience with this type of stuff, I've never had a computer good enough for these type of games and all I do is surf the web...)

I've been reading about this omod or something... I still don't quite understand what that is.

Oh and I keep hearing this "vanilla Oblivion" over and over and over and over and over... what the hell does that mean!? xD

Well, I hope my rambly self didn't write too much, but it'd be very insightful if I could be provided with answers. =)

So when I download Oblivion mods they appear in data files and I activate them, but in game nothing happens. Whats going on here? Can I fix it? I mean I got construction set and everything. I even used OMOD a few times. Nothing works!

First, how do you backup a file? (I know it's nubbest question ever, but again I have no experience with this type of stuff, I've never had a computer good enough for these type of games and all I do is surf the web...)

I've been reading about this omod or something... I still don't quite understand what that is.

Oh and I keep hearing this "vanilla Oblivion" over and over and over and over and over... what the hell does that mean!? xD

The simplest way to "back-up" a file is to copy it out to another place (say, if you had another folder on your computer called backup, and you copied stuff into it).

OMOD: a file type (actually an archive, with scripting etc possible) used by the Oblivion Mod Manager. Handy ting to manage your mods and load order with.

vanilla oblivion = no mods (sometimes excluding SI and KotN, etc as well). basically, the ps3 version would be "vanilla oblivion"

• 3 weeks later...
Just new to PC oblivion, and on-top of that the mods. I'm a PS3 oblivion player. so i'm pretty frustrated with all the textures and meshes. Currently im trying to install some hair, and cosmetic eyes, armour. Stuff that weren't able to be done on the ps3 (almost everything). In my data folder. Under texture, their is only one folder "Effects". Do i have to create my own folder of Characters do put some .dds in? And also. I have completely no clue to where Meshes go. Do i create a meshes folder in the data folder?

This is why I recommend starting your own topic instead of posting in a generic topic.

@vodkacannon123 If you don't back up because you don't have the time you will spend much more time recreating everything when you do have a problem.

@Layfon If you are using a unzip program like 7-zip it will automatically create the sub folders as needed and place the files (Textures & Meshes) in the right place if you extract directly into the data folder. When it warns about overwriting always answer yes to all. It doesn't really overwrite, it appends the new stuff.

If you already have a meshes folder it will use that one, if not, it will create it.

@Vezalerax

Vista Problems

You MUST be signed on as an Administrator to do any of this.

If you have downloaded and installed a mod, and the mod is appearing in your Data Files List, but not in your game And you are running Vista, you have run into a security feature of Vista called User Account Control. Or more simply, UAC.

Quoted from the Oblivion Mods FAQ WIKI

Alternate Install Directory

If you install your Elder Scrolls game into any directory OTHER than the default, none of these problems occur. Thus, you can bypass the Vista security issues by installing the game onto another hard drive or into a new directory that is not located within the "Program Files" root directory (such as "C:\Games").

Run as Admin

Another way to fix it is to right-click the ".exe" file and click properties, then check "Run as administrator". Then click OK. Do this for both the "oblivion.exe" and TESConstructionSet.exe", and any programs you are using that copies files to protected directories (such as WinRAR, 7z, or WinZip).

Disable UAC

Windows Vista users who are fairly confident in the security of their computers might also consider disabling UAC altogether. This will allow all programs writing privileges to the Program Files directory. Although this obviously creates a state of decreased security for your PC, it is a very helpful one-size-fits-all solution to a number of compatibility issues with the Vista OS.

Look here for instructions on how to turn UAC off. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Of these, solution #1 is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Solutions 2 and 3 (running as admin and disabling UAC) remove important safety features of the OS. In contrast, installing Oblivion elsewhere resolves the problems with Oblivion without reducing your overall security.

Wiki entry on installing Oblivion in Vista: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

Note that unless you opt to reinstall the game in a different location (option 1) when you start trying to make your own mods using the construction set, you will run into these problems again.

@Vezalerax

Vista Problems

You MUST be signed on as an Administrator to do any of this.

If you have downloaded and installed a mod, and the mod is appearing in your Data Files List, but not in your game And you are running Vista, you have run into a security feature of Vista called User Account Control. Or more simply, UAC.

Quoted from the Oblivion Mods FAQ WIKI

Alternate Install Directory

If you install your Elder Scrolls game into any directory OTHER than the default, none of these problems occur. Thus, you can bypass the Vista security issues by installing the game onto another hard drive or into a new directory that is not located within the "Program Files" root directory (such as "C:\Games").

Run as Admin

Another way to fix it is to right-click the ".exe" file and click properties, then check "Run as administrator". Then click OK. Do this for both the "oblivion.exe" and TESConstructionSet.exe", and any programs you are using that copies files to protected directories (such as WinRAR, 7z, or WinZip).

Disable UAC

Windows Vista users who are fairly confident in the security of their computers might also consider disabling UAC altogether. This will allow all programs writing privileges to the Program Files directory. Although this obviously creates a state of decreased security for your PC, it is a very helpful one-size-fits-all solution to a number of compatibility issues with the Vista OS.

Look here for instructions on how to turn UAC off. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Of these, solution #1 is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Solutions 2 and 3 (running as admin and disabling UAC) remove important safety features of the OS. In contrast, installing Oblivion elsewhere resolves the problems with Oblivion without reducing your overall security.

Wiki entry on installing Oblivion in Vista: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

Note that unless you opt to reinstall the game in a different location (option 1) when you start trying to make your own mods using the construction set, you will run into these problems again.

Is this a bad time to point out that I don't have Vista :pinch: . I have Windows XP Media Center Edition. What can I do to get mods to work on XP?