More serious Quotes

grannywils

oh, I just meant that my one post just happened to contain a lot of zen quotes.

It is better to be making the news than taking it; to be an actor rather than a critic. -Winston Churchill

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. -Theodore Roosevelt

Nothing is a greater stranger to my breast, or a sin that my soul more abhors, than that black and detestable one, ingratitude. -George Washington

From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a step. -Napoleon Bonaparte

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death. -Leonardo DaVinci

He who has overcome his fears will truly be free. -Aristotle

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, I just meant that my one post just happened to contain a lot of zen quotes.

It is better to be making the news than taking it; to be an actor rather than a critic. -Winston Churchill

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. -Theodore Roosevelt

Nothing is a greater stranger to my breast, or a sin that my soul more abhors, than that black and detestable one, ingratitude. -George Washington - I never heard this one, but it is truly wonderful. Thanks for it. Lynne

From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a step. -Napoleon Bonaparte

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death. -Leonardo DaVinci

He who has overcome his fears will truly be free. -Aristotle

Oh, well anyway I do like the Zen quotes. I have been accused of having a sort of Zen-like personality from time to time. In any case, please keep them coming. I just love the quotes you have been adding. They are really thought provoking. Thanks again, Lynne

'Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others."

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.'

Winston Churchill

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

Benjamin Franklin

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies."

Robert E. Lee

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."

Thomas Jefferson

'I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell."

William Tecumseh Sherman

Reminds me of the soldier's prayer:

And when he gets to Heaven,

To Saint Peter he will tell,

"One more Marine reporting sir;

I've served my time in Hell."

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi

You guys are just so good. I can't even pick out favorites anymore. Each one is better than the last. Even the ones I have read before. It never ceases to amaze me how many great minds have come before us.

Here is another Zen-like one from Tao Te Ching: I needed to keep this in front of me during my working years, as I had a tendency to overdo.

"Do your work, then step back -- the only path to serenity."

More favorite authors:

T.H. White

Neither force, nor argument, nor opinion are thinking. Argument is only a display of mental force, a sort of fencing with points in order to gain a victory, not for truth. Opinions are the blind alleys of lazy or of stupid men, who are unable to think.

Might does not make right! Right makes right!

Lewis Carroll

We're all mad here

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

His answer trickled through my head like water through a sieve.

Thich Nhat Hanh

For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.

Thanks to impermanence, everything is possible.

Hemingway

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places.

To hell with luck. I'll bring the luck with me.

W.H. Auden

All that we are not stares back at what we are.

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

Carl Sandburg

Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.

The greatest cunning is to have none at all.

There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud.

Plath

Kiss me and you will see how important I am

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue."

__ Ernest Hemingway, 'On the Blue Water' in Esquire, April 1936

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gifinside

"Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?"

- Sun Tzu

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."

- Albert Einstein

"The strongest man in the world is the one who stands the most alone."

- Henrick Ibsen, 'An Enemy of the People'

"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

- Henry Ellis

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein

"As long as a man stands in his own way, everything seems to be in his way" - Ralph Waldo Emerson