More serious Quotes

grannywils

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."

"In a man to man fight the winner is the one who puts an extra round in his magazine"

"Sweat saves blood."

~Erwin Rommel

"Before all else, be armed."

"Politics have no relation to morals."

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."

"Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions."

~Niccolo Machiavelli

"Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee,

And I'll forgive Thy great big one on me."

~Robert Frost, "Cluster of Faith," 1962

"There are many things we do not want about the world. Let us not just mourn them. Let us change them."

~Ferdinand Marcos

"The dice of fate has been rolled, and each of us has been assigned to a role play.Ours is to keep Lighting the beacon-light of unity for those who have lost their way.Ours is to articulate the fervent hopes of a people who have suddenly lost their voices.Ours is to adopt the solid stance of courage in the place of seemingly hopeless odds so that hope, no matter how dim, or distant, will never banish from sight."

~Sen. Benigno "Ninoy" S.Aquino,Jr

"A man may lose the good things of this life against his will; but if he loses the eternal blessings, he does so with his own consent."

~Augustine

"Every day you can choose what side of the road to walk down, even if it's the same road. isnt that enough to live for?"

You guys are all coming up with such great stuff. I'm just loving this. Here are a couple a found today:

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival" - C.S. Lewis

"Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability" - Marcus Aurielius

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires" - Epicurus

Strange it is that men should admit the validity of the arguments for free speech but object to their being "pushed to an extreme", not seeing that unless the reasons are good for an extreme case, they are not good for any case.

John Stuart Mill "On Liberty"

Silver DNA, that was a really good one that I never heard before. Thank you for that.

Here is one from Mother Teresa, probably one of my favorite human beings who ever lived,

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

one of my favourite is that ( this one is from the Project Gutenberg translation of "Thus Spake Zarathustra A book for all and none" form Friedrich Nietzsche.

LXVII. THE UGLIEST MAN.

"Zarathustra! Zarathustra! Read my riddle! Say, say! WHAT IS THE REVENGE

ON THE WITNESS?

I entice thee back; here is smooth ice! See to it, see to it, that thy

pride doth not here break its legs!

Thou thinkest thyself wise, thou proud Zarathustra! Read then the

riddle, thou hard nut-cracker,--the riddle that I am! Say then: who am

_I_!"

--When however Zarathustra had heard these words,--what think ye then

took place in his soul? PITY OVERCAME HIM; and he sank down all at

once, like an oak that hath long withstood many tree-fellers,--heavily,

suddenly, to the terror even of those who meant to fell it. But

immediately he got up again from the ground, and his countenance became

stern.

"I know thee well," said he, with a brazen voice, "THOU ART THE MURDERER

OF GOD! Let me go.

Thou couldst not ENDURE him who beheld THEE,--who ever beheld thee

through and through, thou ugliest man. Thou tookest revenge on this

witness!"

It is about truth, god, Darwinism and his father all in one, but you have to adapted to Nietzsche own history and style of writing to know that. (A little hint about Nietzsches when he speaks of women, and he does this sometimes more a little offensively than others. Try to insert the word mother (mainly) or sister or grandmother instead and you know about whom he really is talking about. I think he sometimes code it in this way to express what pain he suffered from the women he loved most. The boy that fell no warm love from his mother, but only repulsion seams to come through in this.)

Silver DNA, what can I say, you have just got some of the best stuff for this thread. And for you, Aurielius, my wonderful, wonderful friend, I had not really thought to add whole poems to this thread, but speaking of Mother Teresa, I have a poem that I have kept on my desk for years. This is something that i truly make an effort to live by, and that may answer many questions about the person I try to be: It is called, ANYWAY

People are often unreasonable

and self-centered

Forgive them anyway

If you are kind,

people may accuse you

of ulterior motives

Be kind anyway

If you are honest,

people may cheat you

Be honest anyway

If you find happiness,

people may be jealous

Be happy anyway

The good you do today

may be forgotten tomorrow

Do good anyway

Give the world the best you have

and it may never be enough

Give your best anyway

For you see, in the end

it is between you and God.

It never was between

you and them anyway

Thank you grannywils! "Anyway" that is nice.

A quote from a man I admire for his intellect and works.

All interest in disease and death is only another expression of interest in life.

The Magic Mountain

by Thomas Mann