More serious Quotes

grannywils

-"If all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth."

-"Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past."

1984, Chapter 3

George Orwell

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-"If all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth."

-"Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past."

1984, Chapter 3

George Orwell

Where do you keep finding these quotes?

"Man is not the enemy of man but through the medium of a false system of government."

Thomas Paine

@ Keanumoreira I came to classical literature thou reading Philosophy then I started reading the classics as some get of the heavy stuff of philosophy (Thinking can be a real toll to a mind and sometimes you need a different input from the same time period was the original idea.) Soon I had a data base of 25.000 quotes (In German) and 3 books with about 60.000 to 70.000 quotes, all in German and Latin. Because I haven't got that much money to buy that many books. And I have a lots of downloads stuff from the Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg that I'm constantly reviewing and reading. Mostly I go from the German quotes to find out that Wikiquote dos not have the same claims to literature as I have.mostly. I relay on that what is on  Wikiquote if I don't find it there I'm going to Project Gutenberg in English. Sometimes I stumble across  Wikiquote and find some one I know has made some side comments and lose my self in his work. too (That is the real fun in self education, when you get distracted to find something interesting you've already heard of.) I'm doing this for about 15 years now, and it is more important to me than gaming because It is a distraction from the heavy stuff as well. I combine reading with hearing music thous the words edge them selfs more willingly into my mind so i can remember the good quotes. When i'm listening to that particular pice of music again mostly the good quotes come back like they own a separate place in my mind.  

"Man is not the enemy of man but through the medium of a false system of government."

Thomas Paine

@ Keanumoreira I came to classical literature thou reading Philosophy then I started reading the classics as some get of the heavy stuff of philosophy (Thinking can be a real toll to a mind and sometimes you need a different input from the same time period was the original idea.) Soon I had a data base of 25.000 quotes (In German) and 3 books with about 60.000 to 70.000 quotes, all in German and Latin. Because I haven't got that much money to buy that many books. And I have a lots of downloads stuff from the Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg that I'm constantly reviewing and reading. Mostly I go from the German quotes to find out that Wikiquote dos not have the same claims to literature as I have.mostly. I relay on that what is on  Wikiquote if I don't find it there I'm going to Project Gutenberg in English. Sometimes I stumble across  Wikiquote and find some one I know has made some side comments and lose my self in his work. too (That is the real fun in self education, when you get distracted to find something interesting you've already heard of.) I'm doing this for about 15 years now, and it is more important to me than gaming because It is a distraction from the heavy stuff as well. I combine reading with hearing music thous the words edge them selfs more willingly into my mind so i can remember the good quotes. When i'm listening to that particular pice of music again mostly the good quotes come back like they own a separate place in my mind.  

I'd say you got a healthy habit going on there. I don't have the patience to do all that like you do because I'm fairly young, but I imagine as I age, I will find this will change.

Patience comes by age, the youth has the privilege of haste and health, while age has the benefit of wisdom and good judgment. If you are interested in classical literature the project Gutenberg is a good choice for reading some classics for free. You can download them or directly view them.

A few quotes that I thought might be germaine to the above conversation:

On Patience:

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew" - St Francis de Sales

"He that can have patience can have what he will" - Benjamin Franklin

"How poor are they that have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees"? - William Shakespeare

On Youth:

"It is not possible for civilization to flow backward while there is youth in the world. Youth may be headstrong, but it will advance its allotted length" - Hellen Keller

"Don't laugh at a youth for his affectations; he's only trying on one face after another till he finds his own" - Logan Pearsall Smith

"The interests of childhood and youth are the interests of mankind" - Edmund Storer James

Silver, I've always loved that quote by Erasmus.

I like this one by Shakespeare: "Have more than thou showest. Speak less than thou knowest."

and this one by Albert Schweitzer: "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats"

and this is a German proverb. Do you know it? "In time of war the devil makes more room in hell"

Granny I have to compliment you for what you come up again. The German proverb is a long forgotten one. I haven't heard or read it for a very long time now, but I know it. 

"The ultimate aim of government is not to rule, or restrain, by fear, nor to exact obedience, but contrariwise, to free every man from fear, that he may live in all possible security; in other words, to strengthen his natural right to exist and work without injury to himself or others.

No, the object of government is not to change men from rational beings into beasts or puppets, but to enable them to develope their minds and bodies in security, and to employ their reason unshackled; neither showing hatred, anger, or deceit, nor watched with the eyes of jealousy and injustice. In fact, the true aim of government is liberty." 

Theological-Political Treatise (1670)

Baruch Spinoza

Granny I have to compliment you for what you come up again. The German proverb is a long forgotten one. I haven't heard or read it for a very long time now, but I know it.

"The ultimate aim of government is not to rule, or restrain, by fear, nor to exact obedience, but contrariwise, to free every man from fear, that he may live in all possible security; in other words, to strengthen his natural right to exist and work without injury to himself or others.

No, the object of government is not to change men from rational beings into beasts or puppets, but to enable them to develope their minds and bodies in security, and to employ their reason unshackled; neither showing hatred, anger, or deceit, nor watched with the eyes of jealousy and injustice. In fact, the true aim of government is liberty."

Theological-Political Treatise (1670)

Baruch Spinoza

Ah, this is wonderful. I have read others from Spinoza, but I do not remember this. It is so perfect. Thank you again, Silver, for this one.